Doctor Who

Heinz D.

It seems unlikely, given all the members we have on here who haven't posted on this topic before--that we have any fans of the show onboard  in these parts. 

That's a little weird, given the size of the membership...but, it's a very nerdy show, and a football forum doesn't exactly invite those sort of fans. 

As to the new season, I'm excited.

This may well turn out to be the first and last post in this thread, but...anybody else?: 

16 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

I'm a fan of the show out of obligation more than anything, hopefully the new showrunner/writing staff are competent enough to not drive Doctor Who into a 20 year hiatus again.

Curious as to what you mean by "out of obligation"? Have you already given up on the show (which is entirely possible, as a lot of foks didn't care much for Moffat's work), or are you skeptical of the new staff's ability to carry on with the old quality? 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Curious as to what you mean by "out of obligation"? Have you already given up on the show (which is entirely possible, as a lot of foks didn't care much for Moffat's work), or are you skeptical of the new staff's ability to carry on with the old quality? 

Moffat burned his bridge by series 9 and I didn't get around to series 10 until 2 weeks after it started airing. I finished it because I love Capaldi as the doctor, shame he got shanked by poor writing, Bill was fun though. Christmas special was eh but David Bradley's did his job well so I can't complain too much about that. 

By obligation I meant,, it's a new showrunner/doctor/everything so I have to at least see the 1st episode and my biggest problem with Doctor Who got kicked out of the Tardis it was probably going to fix the issues I had with it.

Episode 1 fixed most of them, it was actually fun for once. Not perfect but if this is what I can expect from Doctor who I might actually keep up with it this time around.

5 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Moffat burned his bridge by series 9 and I didn't get around to series 10 until 2 weeks after it started airing. I finished it because I love Capaldi as the doctor, shame he got shanked by poor writing, Bill was fun though. Christmas special was eh but David Bradley's did his job well so I can't complain too much about that. 

By obligation I meant,, it's a new showrunner/doctor/everything so I have to at least see the 1st episode and my biggest problem with Doctor Who got kicked out of the Tardis it was probably going to fix the issues I had with it.

Episode 1 fixed most of them, it was actually fun for once. Not perfect but if this is what I can expect from Doctor who I might actually keep up with it this time around.

That last Christmas episode was awful. While I agree Bradley did a fine job, Moffat phoned that one in, and it was really disappointing. Particularly after the two part Missy/Master and Cybermen finale. I actually enjoyed series 10 a great deal, even though Bill's send off felt quite a bit like Clara's in many ways--and I wasn't wholly satisfied with how Clara went out...

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Enjoyed the first episode. Jodie seems to be having fun with it in all the right ways. 

Jodie, I felt, did a very fine job. Of course, I'm going off of one episode, but she seemed firmly committed to keeping the character essentially the same, while putting her own little flourishes on it--basically what everyone else has done with the role. And don't take that assessment the wrong way. The performance was good no matter what context you put it in.

It all seems like it's going to be a lot darker and more serious overall now, doesn't it? Genuinely scary and creepy from the get-go. With some nasty, unexpected stuff to boot. That may turn out to serve the show well, going forward. I worry about the wisdom of putting it up against The Walking Dead, though. Doesn't seem like a very good move as far as ratings go. 

I thought it was a very promising first episode. Jodie seemed very natural in the role and I am excited to see her evolution. The overall aesthetic of the show was also impressive, it looks like a lot of effort (and money) is being put into the series. 

After being mostly disappointed with the show the last few years, I'm back on board for now

18 hours ago, OH-snelld4GB-IO said:

After being mostly disappointed with the show the last few years, I'm back on board for now

That's cool to hear! :)

What was it that disappointed you about the show? And how long have you been down on it? 

22 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That's cool to hear! :)

What was it that disappointed you about the show? And how long have you been down on it? 

I started being down on the show with Clara. I liked her at first, but when the show kind of turned her into the main character with The Doctor as her companion it was kind of annoying. But I really dislike the show during Capaldi's run. I actually liked him as an actor but I thought the writing was dreadful (that forest in the cities episode was the WORST) and I feel they wasted him. There were some good episodes but overall it was a bad experience. I think what excites me most now is Moffat is gone and also Jodie seems very natural in the role, so I'm back on board

3 hours ago, OH-snelld4GB-IO said:

I started being down on the show with Clara. I liked her at first, but when the show kind of turned her into the main character with The Doctor as her companion it was kind of annoying. But I really dislike the show during Capaldi's run. I actually liked him as an actor but I thought the writing was dreadful (that forest in the cities episode was the WORST) and I feel they wasted him. There were some good episodes but overall it was a bad experience. I think what excites me most now is Moffat is gone and also Jodie seems very natural in the role, so I'm back on board

Cool. I'm a big Moffat fan, thought he did a lot more good than harm, but I know a lot of folks don't feel that way. In the Forest of the Night is definitely one of the worst episodes of new Who (but was not written by him), maybe even worse than the popular fan punching bag Love and Monsters.Series Eight is kind of weak, overall, and the opener isn't that great, but I loved Series Nine, except for the weirdness (somewhat) at the end. Also, by and large, liked Series Ten a lot...but I'm kind of rambling now. Clara's character, well--her story---was mishandled, hard to argue against that...

Archived