Game 5, 2018: vs Denver Broncos

Bianconero

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Good bounce back game after a few bad games. OLine stepped up today. Kept Darnold up and led the way to 300+ on the ground

Good win, we need that bad, to think Crowell is only 25 years old. We do have talent at running back and wide receiver, we have to use it a little better, if we want to compete with the good teams. Like to see the Jets take the leash off Darnold.  That running on the first & Second down & passing on third in 1960 football. It  worked today but that was against Denver was is not a very good team.  

25 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Good win, we need that bad, to think Crowell is only 25 years old. We do have talent at running back and wide receiver, we have to use it a little better, if we want to compete with the good teams. Like to see the Jets take the leash off Darnold.  That running on the first & Second down & passing on third in 1960 football. It  worked today but that was against Denver was is not a very good team.  

I’ve liked Crowell for a long time. I wanted us to draft him so bad. I was pretty vocal about on this forum too

Pretty sure we lead the league in first down rushing attempts, liked what I saw from the run game though and was surprised we were able to hold Von and them boys in check for most of the game, still some qualms with the play calling but this was definitely a step in the right direction. Left most impressed with Leo today, I’ve been hard on him as he hasn’t been the disruptive force we drafted him to be but today he looked dominant and hope he can keep it up.

Congratulations guys! The Sam Darnold I love came to play and lit them up! Hope you guys get a real coach this offseason. So you can hit the next level. You have 2 of my favorite players on your team Leo and Darnold.

your run game showed up and was amazing 

So while I am happy about the win, I'm still very worried about our offense. We didn't show any ability to actually walk down the field and score - we just hit homers. I love the aggressiveness and have been asking to give Darnold more deep throws to get acclimated, but I really want to see him lead a clock killing drive down the field for a score.

3 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

So while I am happy about the win, I'm still very worried about our offense. We didn't show any ability to actually walk down the field and score - we just hit homers. I love the aggressiveness and have been asking to give Darnold more deep throws to get acclimated, but I really want to see him lead a clock killing drive down the field for a score.

We all would, but I think it is part of the process, the Jets are taking baby steps with Darnold, who just turn 21. You saw what happen when they let him air the ball out, four perfect strikes. He still has a lot of work to be done on his mid range passes and that takes time to learn, and make no doubt he will learn, no question. I think this is better than him sitting on the bench his first year. The biggest key is to build a stronger team around him, 

Like John Podesta said on election night " WE CAN WAIT A LITTLE LONGER CAN'T WE "

Once Herndon and Kearse get more comfortable I think we get better on 3rd downs.  They can both be good chain moving targets for Sam.  Plus Q having the injury hurt his game this week.

Not going to talk about Sam or Robby making those big time plays not going to talk about the bounce back by the defense even though it was against a bad DEN offense I'm only here to talk about the great OL play.  As bad as they have been at times they were spectacular this game and need that recognition.  320 yards on the ground is embarrassing against a really solid DEN defense.  Well done boys, time to get back to .500 and beat a hard fighting Colts team but for now we should all be happy about a complete team win. 

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

I agree with this. It's not a consistent way to win, but with attempting deep throws at least now teams are actually going to defend against it as an option. The lack of play action passes is still bizarre for a team that's going to commit to running the ball as much as this one. Also, Robby needs to learn another route. I don't care if they're all deep he just needs to learn a post or something.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

We all would, but I think it is part of the process, the Jets are taking baby steps with Darnold, who just turn 21. You saw what happen when they let him air the ball out, four perfect strikes. He still has a lot of work to be done on his mid range passes and that takes time to learn, and make no doubt he will learn, no question. I think this is better than him sitting on the bench his first year. The biggest key is to build a stronger team around him, 

Like John Podesta said on election night " WE CAN WAIT A LITTLE LONGER CAN'T WE "

Pretty much. We saw early in the year that he can hit the short passes with precision. We've seen all year that he can move around the pocket and throw on the run to either direction. Now we saw the deep ball accuracy. He threw 3 perfect deep ball strikes: The two to Robby and the one to Enunwa would have been a perfect strike if not for the PI. The Pryor one was off and required a great catch from Pryor. The deep outright to Kearse I don't think qualifies as a big time throw but that is probably the toughest throw to make. 

What were the 4 strikes you saw?

The drops by Enunwa and the 4 batted balls at the line of scrimmage slow us down this game. Otherwise, we would have had some longer drives. 

We need one of these TE's to step so that we can have a threat down the deep middle. It's probably the only thing we haven't seen from Darnold. 

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

Pretty much. We saw early in the year that he can hit the short passes with precision. We've seen all year that he can move around the pocket and throw on the run to either direction. Now we saw the deep ball accuracy. He threw 3 perfect deep ball strikes: The two to Robby and the one to Enunwa would have been a perfect strike if not for the PI. The Pryor one was off and required a great catch from Pryor. The deep outright to Kearse I don't think qualifies as a big time throw but that is probably the toughest throw to make. 

What were the 4 strikes you saw?

The drops by Enunwa and the 4 batted balls at the line of scrimmage slow us down this game. Otherwise, we would have had some longer drives. 

We need one of these TE's to step so that we can have a threat down the deep middle. It's probably the only thing we haven't seen from Darnold. 

As you know I have been on this TE subject for years, that is one thing that the Jets always had, was a top TE's even when we sucked, guys like Dustin Keller, Johnny Mitchell, Richard Caster, Jerome Barkum , Mickey Shuler. The TE position is the missing piece of the puzzle on offensive. I agree with you a real TE would be a huge help for Darnold. I am tired of waiting for TE's to develop. That is one position on a team that a player coming out of College can make a impact at once. Mabey in FA period next year we can get one.  

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

As you know I have been on this TE subject for years, that is one thing that the Jets always had, was a top TE's even when we sucked, guys like Dustin Keller, Johnny Mitchell, Richard Caster, Jerome Barkum , Mickey Shuler. The TE position is the missing piece of the puzzle on offensive. I agree with you a real TE would be a huge help for Darnold. I am tired of waiting for TE's to develop. That is one position on a team that a player coming out of College can make a impact at once. Mabey in FA period next year we can get one.  

Outside of Evan Engram and Gronk, TE's rarely have an impact in their rookie year. They need time to develop with an offence as they have a ton of responsibilities. 

Archived