5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You could win 2 SBs in 4 years with that QB and have job security for the next decade by re-signing him, but instead you're trading him and if the next guy flops, not only are you fired, but probably go down as the worst GM who ever won a ring. I find that tough to buy. You're backing that Brinks truck up to that QBs front door.

Teams cannot sustain success while paying what the market dictates for great quarterbacks.  Same thing that happened to us will happen to the Eagles, Rams, Chiefs... It even happened to the Patriots.  People forget that the Patriots went a full decade between Super Bowl wins.  Then Brady signs a deal that makes him drastically underpaid and they win two again.

Either convince your QB this is the truth of the NFL and that if he wants to win Super Bowls he has to play cheap, get you a QB who is married to a billionaire, or trade them. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Teams cannot sustain success while paying what the market dictates for great quarterbacks.  Same thing that happened to us will happen to the Eagles, Rams, Chiefs... It even happened to the Patriots.  People forget that the Patriots went a full decade between Super Bowl wins.  Then Brady signs a deal that makes him drastically underpaid and they win two again.

Either convince your QB this is the truth of the NFL and that if he wants to win Super Bowls he has to play cheap, get you a QB who is married to a billionaire, or trade them. 

I'd say 2010-present is the definition of sustained success for the Packers. Super Bowls are more a matter of health and luck than they truly are the more talented team consistently winning.

Either way, your world where no one pays QBs is a fairytale land that will never exist. The Eagles will pay Wentz, the Rams Goff, Chiefs Mahomes, etc...

You can pay your star QB... you just need to understand what to spend the rest of the money on. You spend it on defense.

You pay a QB to make something out of nothing and you stack your defense to not give up points. That way QB only needs to score so much and if they don’t the defense only gives up so much.

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Teams cannot sustain success while paying what the market dictates for great quarterbacks. 

If you define success only as winning Super Bowls, then maybe you can make that comment in general.
But the owners define success by their wallets and enlightened football fans define success as being perennial playoff contenders

Both of those successes are well within reach with a great QB on the roster - and then as noted by PR...you add in some lucky bounces and a limited injury report and you can go all the way.

Why can't you have an expensive QB but cheap players who out play their rookie deals that aren't QBs

That's where I get caught up.

Why is it that this only works with QBs on rookie deals. What if my rookie contract RB, pass rusher and a corner are all major studs over 3-4 drafts?

23 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

If you define success only as winning Super Bowls, then maybe you can make that comment in general.
But ... enlightened football fans define success as being perennial playoff contenders

"Enlightened" football fans may well define "success as being perennial playoff contenders."

But personally, I much prefer the approach of the, apparently, unenlightened guys who made these comments:

"The quarterback is going to be judged ... on success in the playoffs. You remember the quarterbacks ... who have won three or four Super Bowls"

"Frankly, I don't want to be flippant about it; division titles are important, ... But I don't lose any sleep over it because we have a bigger goal. We don't hang division title banners around here"

"Number one, it's about winning the world championship ... It's part of our everyday fiber here in Green Bay";

'it's about getting to the final game and winning. I want everybody to think that way, and I want everybody to behave that way and train that way and aspire for that to be."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Why can't you have an expensive QB but cheap players who out play their rookie deals that aren't QBs

That's where I get caught up.

Why is it that this only works with QBs on rookie deals. What if my rookie contract RB, pass rusher and a corner are all major studs over 3-4 drafts?

Yeah, you could do that if you had the best luck in the world.  We still have a chance if Jaire turns into half the player I think he'll be, if Jackson is a good NFL player, if one of our rookie receivers turns into a good receiver and if we hit on both our first round picks this coming draft.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:
6 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Speaks to the age old question:  is it scheme or execution that’s not working?

That is a flat out miss by Rodgers.  Back footed side arm throw.  Detroit brings 5 and the OL holds up well enough.  

Just now, squire12 said:

That is a flat out miss by Rodgers.  Back footed side arm throw.  Detroit brings 5 and the OL holds up well enough.  

Exactly right. The scheme resulted in a wide open Davante. The lack of execution resulted in a total miss and a bad pass from AR.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

And that was just one of several missed opportunities where I could clearly see wide receivers running wide open yesterday.  Frustrating.

25 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yep.

And he looks gimpy doing it. 

Can't recall exactly but this may have been on the same drive where he gotten taken down on the sideline and re-injured the knee.

Lots going wrong on O at the moment and #12 is certainly part of it.