5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

3 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

An excellent post, sir, as per usual. 

My only quibble being a bit of confusion I have over whether one means Prince Orlovsky from Die Fledermaus or Count Olaf from A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Both ways work, actually. 

It was really more of a Count Olaf reference that had to be stretched too far; I'll admit I did have some kind of awareness there was a fictional Orlovsky but I'm not actually familiar with Die Fledermaus beyond the basic knowledge of it and wouldn't have come up with the character if my life depended on it. 

31 minutes ago, cannondale said:

The options were to sign Rodgers for 30 million or let him walk. No one blinked any eye when they signed him.

Lol none of this is true.  He had two years left on his contract.  Also, there were plenty of people here who lamented the deal.  The options were to let him earn the contract with one year left, at which point he would have either played better than he did or he would have been paid less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

False.

What do you speak of ? The 3 people who wanted him traded for Levon Bell or Antonio Brown, or for 8 First Round draft picks and roll with Kizer, or fans who wanted him to play with a lame duck contract ?

Edited by cannondale

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol none of this is true.  He had two years left on his contract.  Also, there were plenty of people here who lamented the deal.  The options were to let him earn the contract with one year left, at which point he would have either played better than he did or he would have been paid less.

Those were not options. Not in reality anyway

49 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You can't because in order for it to be anything worthwhile you'd have to slot him well below Tannehill and Brissett which is utterly ridiculous and a huge stretch as far as money saved,. I'll check Terry Bradshaw's cap number from 1975 when I get a second. The options were to sign Rodgers for 30 million or let him walk. No one blinked any eye when they signed him. As far as not liking me - ---I'm not here for pen pals, nor am I 8 years old, so don't know why it's relevant.

This bold part is not accurate

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I assume you were one ? What would you have done ?

Let him play the season after his 2nd clavicle fracture.  Assess how he recovered from that injury.  

At the time, Rodgers had 2 years remaining.  2, plus a franchise tag was an option.

Secondary option to investigate trade scenarios to look at what could have been acquired.  

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Let him play the season after his 2nd clavicle fracture.  Assess how he recovered from that injury.  

At the time, Rodgers had 2 years remaining.  2, plus a franchise tag was an option.

Secondary option to investigate trade scenarios to look at what could have been acquired.  

Franchise tag was not an option. Neither was a trade. And his cap number would have just kept going up the longer the Packers waited. The writing was on the wall with QB prices

Edited by cannondale

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Franchise tag was not an option. Neither was a trade.

What are you talking about?   Rodgers had 2 years on his contract remaining at that time.  2018 and 2019.   GB could have let him play those 2 years out.   Or at least the 2018 season to assess how he recovered from his clavicle fracture.   GB then would have had the franchise tag as an option after the 2019 season if a long term deal was not something they were interested in doing.  

GB had 3 years of "control" in that situation at that time.   Instead, GB did the contract extension and are now on the hook for the next couple years.  

Rodgers would also have been a good trade asset at that time.  There were options.  I was not in favor of that contract extension at that time.  

So your statement that "no one blinked an eye when they signed him" is inaccurate.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, squire12 said:

What are you talking about?   Rodgers had 2 years on his contract remaining at that time.  2018 and 2019.   GB could have let him play those 2 years out.   Or at least the 2018 season to assess how he recovered from his clavicle fracture.   GB then would have had the franchise tag as an option after the 2019 season if a long term deal was not something they were interested in doing.  

GB had 3 years of "control" in that situation at that time.   Instead, GB did the contract extension and are now on the hook for the next couple years.  

Rodgers would also have been a good trade asset at that time.  There were options.  I was not in favor of that contract extension at that time.  

So your statement that "no one blinked an eye when they signed him" is inaccurate.

Fine - you weren't in favor of it for reasons that only work in xbox. No quality starting QB in his right mind would play for the franchise tag, nor would any team in their right mind try to force him to do so. The same goes for any trade scenario, for many reasons, the least of which, rolling with Kizer as the starting QB.  That would have been brilliant. Or maybe you were thinking they could tank for Mayfield ?

Edited by cannondale

31 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Fine - you weren't in favor of it for reasons that only work in xbox. No quality starting QB in his right mind would play for the franchise tag, nor would any team in their right mind try to force him to do so. The same goes for any trade scenario, for many reasons, the least of which, rolling with Kizer as the starting QB.  That would have been brilliant. Or maybe you were thinking they could tank for Mayfield ?

I was on record in winter/spring of 2018 that trading Rodgers for a package of picks (cleveland had 2 early 1st).   In that scenario, GB adds 1st, 4th and possibly the early second from CLE that is in addition to the mid 1st that GB had at that time.  That would have been the QB group of Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, Allen and Jackson.  Add a few top tier Defensive prospects and a developmental QB.  

Absolutely not a "rolling with Kizer".   

This discussion is about you claiming that "no one blinked an eye on the Rodgers contract" which was an inaccurate statement.  

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I was on record in winter/spring of 2018 that trading Rodgers for a package of picks (cleveland had 2 early 1st).   In that scenario, GB adds 1st, 4th and possibly the early second from CLE that is in addition to the mid 1st that GB had at that time.  That would have been the QB group of Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, Allen and Jackson.  Add a few top tier Defensive prospects and a developmental QB.  

Absolutely not a "rolling with Kizer".   

This discussion is about you claiming that "no one blinked an eye on the Rodgers contract" which was an inaccurate statement.  

I certainly stand corrected. I'm blinded by all the realistic options that were apparently available, including tagging a franchise QB

I'm done debating against those ideas