5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

I feel more confident about Pettine than @Outpost31. Since Pettine will be the DC for 2020,  we will see at the end of the season whose vision is closer to the reality.

If the defense does well, maybe Outpost comes closer to my way of thinking, if the unit performs poorly again, then it will be me moving towards Outpost's position that a change is required there.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

At my birthday party, Aaron saw that I was enjoying a piece of birthday cake, and he walked up and put his finger in it, then asked if I was going to eat that.  

I wonder how much you could sell a piece of cake his fingers have been in on eBay.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I feel more confident about Pettine than @Outpost31. Since Pettine will be the DC for 2020,  we will see at the end of the season whose vision is closer to the reality.

If the defense does well, maybe Outpost comes closer to my way of thinking, if the unit performs poorly again, then it will be me moving towards Outpost's position that a change is required there.

I was all for a change after we couldn't stop the run half the time this year, but then we did NOTHING to bolster our IDL and little to improve ILB so if our run defense is worse than it was last year, I can't help but think that's on Gutey and NOT on Pettine. One of the things Dom always did to pro-long his stay was to lobby for personnel; the excuse was always "Dom doesn't have his guys." The organization finally wised up and if it is in fact on Pettine, I'd hope the organization makes a move sooner rather than later.

I think what you're going to see one of the worst run defenses in the league with one of the best pass-rushes and a better-than-average secondary. Kevin King keeps improving, Jaire could be All-Pro this year, I'm hoping Savage doesn't have a sophomore slump, Amos was solid last year. We have Raven Greene coming back and if he can stay healthy, I think he'll be the best role player in that secondary with Chandon Sullivan right behind him. For all the crap we gave Will Redmond last year, he made some good plays. We know what we have in the Smiths, but Gary really needs to step up this year(Capt. Obvious, I know). It'll be interesting to see who EDGE4 is, however. I think Garvin can be that guy because he's sneaky strong and has a sneaky burst. Again, that run defense will be suspect unless Keke can step up, Kirksey can be the player he was just two years ago, and someone else along that IDL emerges. It just looks like Kenny Clark's trying to do it all there with space-eaters doing nothing but sucking up blocks.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I wonder how much you could sell a piece of cake his fingers have been in on eBay.

Probably more than my piece of cake... I ate it anyway.  Then Aaron and I had a staring contest for the rest of the evening.  Neither of us established dominance and the room was very awkward for the rest of the night.

If we have one single solitary damn ****ing damn game where one ****ing person tears us up and we don’t fire Pettine I will lose my mind.  I don’t care if an entire offense shreds us so much as one person.  If one person has 175 ****ing yards by the start of the fourth quarter, what you’ve done isn’t going to suddenly work.

THAT is what I hated most about Capers, and THAT is what I hate most about Pettine.

You cut that **** out, Pettine.  Or I will want about it on an Internet football forum in a thread that’s supposed to be me ranting about the 12th best QB in the league.

Edited by Outpost31

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Is this trying to tell me that if Haskins WRs dropped more of his passes they might have been a better offense? Because that's hilarious.

No, it would just be less negative. But still negative

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Is this trying to tell me that if Haskins WRs dropped more of his passes they might have been a better offense? Because that's hilarious.

I wish, but no. 

It's saying that if Haskins receivers had no drops, their passing offense still would have been net negative. 

Which while still hysterical, isn't quite as great.