5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

Serious question for people who have more time for film study than I do: was Rodgers ever elite at delivering the ball in rhythm?  I mean, talking 2009-2010 Rodgers, or even at Cal.  Did he ever display high level play in terms of being able to deliver the ball at the top of his drop?  In my head, I feel like 2008-2011 Rodgers was a different guy in terms of playing within the structure of the offense, but I'm realizing that I don't actually know if that's true.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Serious question for people who have more time for film study than I do: was Rodgers ever elite at delivering the ball in rhythm?  I mean, talking 2009-2010 Rodgers, or even at Cal.  Did he ever display high level play in terms of being able to deliver the ball at the top of his drop?  In my head, I feel like 2008-2011 Rodgers was a different guy in terms of playing within the structure of the offense, but I'm realizing that I don't actually know if that's true.  

I don't think he was ever consistently elite at that.  But, he did do it and was great at it.

He tore the hearts out of Pittsburgh nation in the Super Bowl doing it to Jennings in the fourth quarter on a play they knew was coming.  3rd down.  5 mins left or so.  Back foot hit on his drop, planted and fired a skinny post to Jennings in the slot just over the outstretched hands of a defender and before a safety.  First down and we ate a lot of clock.

He's made just oh so many magnificent throws over his career, but that one will always stand out to me.  It was picture perfect timing and the ball was put in the best possible spot.

19 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

There were a lot of arguments between fans over whether he held the ball too long back then.

He has always had that tendency in my opinion.  I feel like in 2010, after the second concussion in the Lions  game, he was better at getting it out, but I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

There were a lot of arguments between fans over whether he held the ball too long back then.

He has always had that tendency in my opinion.  I feel like in 2010, after the second concussion in the Lions  game, he was better at getting it out, but I could be wrong.

Oh, he for sure takes too many sacks; it's one of those things where he learned a LOT from Favre, and one of the things he learned was "recklessly putting the ball up for grabs costs your team games." Problem is now he's dug into that to a degree where NOT taking risks costs the team games. 

After his first few games, I thought "I like a lot about Rodgers, but is he going to be Rob Johnson - a tremendous athlete who was a ball-holding sack machine, or Steve Young, a tremendous athlete who played QB about as well as a person can play the position? 

Fortunately for Packer nation, he was much more like the latter. 

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I don't think he was ever consistently elite at that.  But, he did do it and was great at it.

He tore the hearts out of Pittsburgh nation in the Super Bowl doing it to Jennings in the fourth quarter on a play they knew was coming.  3rd down.  5 mins left or so.  Back foot hit on his drop, planted and fired a skinny post to Jennings in the slot just over the outstretched hands of a defender and before a safety.  First down and we ate a lot of clock.

He's made just oh so many magnificent throws over his career, but that one will always stand out to me.  It was picture perfect timing and the ball was put in the best possible spot.

It's his greatest throw holistically, I agree.  The moment it was in, the size of the window, and the absolute perfect throw.  

3 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Yeah, fair point.  I remember in 2009 it being a real issue combined with Allen Barbre seemingly baffled by the concept of staying in front of his defender.  But it also reminds me of how many slants the Packers used to run, and while Rodgers wasn't Favre-good on the slant he still cut a lot of teams up with it.  Rodgers could absolutely body teams if he would throw slants like he used to with this receiving group.  Adams is just too quick, and Lazard/Kumerow/EQ are so strong at the catch point and just so damn big that it's pretty tough to stop it without selling out inside, and who would do that with what they know of Aaron Rodgers?  The sneakiest plan, Aaron, think about it, I know you love out-foxin' em.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...