5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

20 minutes ago, snackattack said:

Its not going to be ok. Why do people think things are goong to be ok? This isnt a dig at rodgers per se; this just doesnt feel like a playiff team based on what we have seen out of ourselves and the rest of our division.

Last year showed how talent poor the roster was. This year Rodgers isn't healthy, not practicing, while we try to integrate new talent. The margin for error is that thin. I still go back to poor drafting. We've been caught. It's really as simple as that IMO. Lang gone, Sitton gone, Nelson gone, Tretter gone, Hayward gone, Hyde gone, Peppers gone, Cook gone. Randall, Rollins, Fackrell, Spriggs, Davis, Jones, Bennett etc in. The math isn't that hard

Edited by cannondale

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Last year showed how talent poor the roster was. ... I still go back to poor drafting. We've been caught. It's really as simple as that IMO.

Yep.

Gute inherited a roster in need of significant upgrades.

And yes,  poor drafting in the recent past explains much of what ails the roster

However, the Packers also have only 1 veteran on the current roster who was signed as free agent between 2011-2017, the inconsequential Lance Kendricks.

(There were of course no player trades made to upgrade the roster under the previous GM).

It is likely going to take Gute at least another year to overcome the roster deficiencies - looking at OLB for example.

The question becomes whether MM will be around to lead that roster.

I may be in the minority that thinks the team is not *that* talent deprived.

Finding an upgrade at edge rusher and safety will fix a lot on the defensive side of things. With the talent in this upcoming draft and how poorly our edge rushers are playing, that won't be hard. Corner and the interior of the front 7 seem to be in good enough shape.

The offense has a lot of pieces in place. But they're not being utilized properly by the coach (scheme) and/or QB (throw the goddamn ball). An upgrade at guard and  depth at tackle would be nice though (paging Cole Madison).

Edited by Striker

Rodgers starting to trust Jimmy is a good thing.  Gave him a nice jump ball that Graham would usually make in the EZ, and another one that he did convert on a seam route.  Once Rodgers gets comfortable with putting enough air on it and throwing it a little less hot, I think those receptions are easily there.

You are all NUTS.

Rodgers is on pace for 5,000 yards, 32 TDs and 3 INT with a rating over 100.

Rodgers doesnt throw 50/50 balls, he takes big sacks for the same reason he's the all time leader in 75 yard TD passes, because he extends plays. 

Perfect example this week...took 2 sacks and still completed a 4th down pass that lead to a TD and 2 point conversion.

Hes the anti Brett Favre, hes EXACTLY what we wanted for the final 10 years of Favres career.

Hes the greatest QB of all time. Stop losing your minds because Patrick Mahomes and Jared Goff have had 5 good games. Who cares if Drew Brees breaks all the records after 32 straight under .500 seasons. Who cares if Tom Brady has 5 SB wins with top 10 defenses. 

I repeat, you are ALL NUTS.

7 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Rodgers starting to trust Jimmy is a good thing.  Gave him a nice jump ball that Graham would usually make in the EZ, and another one that he did convert on a seam route.  Once Rodgers gets comfortable with putting enough air on it and throwing it a little less hot, I think those receptions are easily there.

Jimmy Graham is queitly on pace for 70 receptions and 750 yards...

Adams...113 receptions, 1300 yards and 13 TDs

Allison...950 yards and 6 TDs

IT WILL BE OKAY. RELAX.

36 minutes ago, Siman08/OH said:

You are all NUTS.

Rodgers is on pace for 5,000 yards, 32 TDs and 3 INT with a rating over 100.

Rodgers doesnt throw 50/50 balls, he takes big sacks for the same reason he's the all time leader in 75 yard TD passes, because he extends plays. 

Perfect example this week...took 2 sacks and still completed a 4th down pass that lead to a TD and 2 point conversion.

Hes the anti Brett Favre, hes EXACTLY what we wanted for the final 10 years of Favres career.

Hes the greatest QB of all time. Stop losing your minds because Patrick Mahomes and Jared Goff have had 5 good games. Who cares if Drew Brees breaks all the records after 32 straight under .500 seasons. Who cares if Tom Brady has 5 SB wins with top 10 defenses. 

I repeat, you are ALL NUTS.

I agree with a lot you are saying, Rodgers is still playing like 90% better than most of the QB;'s in the league but he's not firing on all cylinders which to be fair could be expected with the lack of practice and he's clearly hobbled.

He's going to shoulder some blame, but they all do and honestly for me he's more down the list if you really want to play the blame game.

I'm not worried about Aaron and certainly don't think it was a mistake to give him that contract.

• Like 1

Rodgers has well over 500 yards and 6 TDs and 0 picks in the 2 halves of football in the Lions-Bears games where we were down big and he got the ball out quick and trusted his receivers. If you count those "halves' as a game we would've won 47-13.

Not sure where the disconnect is where he watches that film and sees the need to play a different way until we go down big. The receivers have made plays, the line gives him time, the ball moves down the field at will. Yet every week we come out and run a slow, methodical clunker of an offense every game.

It's like the Tootsie Pop commercial, "Who is effing up the Packers 1Q offense, Rodgers or McCarthy? The world may never know."

• Like 2

11 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

It's got to be on the defense to win some games.  Rodgers is hurt and probably will be for a good bit of his remaining career.

That said, it's probably time for a new HC if things don't turn around real soon.

Huh?  Once his knee is better he should be fine.