5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

3 hours ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

I am really starting to understand what non Packer fans mean when they say we are spoiled. Rodgers just did some pretty amazing things, and yet we are all still here complaining that he missed a RB on a play. Even when Rodgers does miss the occasional open player, it is still doesn't crack the list of top 10 issues the Packers need to address.

Rodgers holding the ball while players are open is not an occasional thing. At this point it's a routine part of the offense. It is certainly is in my list of top 10 things the Packers need to address.

1 hour ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

LOL, what in the world makes you think you know how to QB better than Rodgers? Not asking him to do anything difficult? EVERYTHING a QB does is difficult.

Perspective is again the word you need to learn and use.  It is difficult to play QB, yes, but for a great QB, taking what the defense gives you is literally easier than what Rodgers has been doing.

You said you weren't asking him to do anything difficult. Take whatever perspective you like, that's flat out wrong. 

I get it and agree he makes mistakes. But he is also the reason we are consistently expected to make a SB run. Trying to micro manage a talent like Rodgers is the wrong way to go, IMO. His mistakes are not what's holding the team back. His big plays are what's helping this team win though. 

Edited by KingOfTheNorth

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Rodgers holding the ball while players are open is not an occasional thing. At this point it's a routine part of the offense. It is certainly is in my list of top 10 things the Packers need to address.

It also could lead to him being injured worse than he already is, or maimed, regardless of the new QB protections in place.  The mug is just setting himself up for a serious beating out there.

9 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I am at the point that I would like to see a game where Rodgers calls his own plays.  Go old school, back to the days of Bart Starr.  See what he can do with it.  That way he can do what he wants, go with what he feels good about.  See if it makes a difference.

See Flynn vs the State of Michigan, 2011

8 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I am at the point that I would like to see a game where Rodgers calls his own plays.  Go old school, back to the days of Bart Starr.  See what he can do with it.  That way he can do what he wants, go with what he feels good about.  See if it makes a difference.

It’d be an interesting experiment for sure.  Would he ever hand the ball off?  LOL.  Maybe he’d just throw bombs downfield all day?  Or, he could absolutely kill it, and become an offensive coordinator in the league after he retires.

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

It’d be an interesting experiment for sure.  Would he ever hand the ball off?  LOL.  Maybe he’d just throw bombs downfield all day?  Or, he could absolutely kill it, and become an offensive coordinator in the league after he retires.

AR has wide latitude to change a play at the LOS. Has for years.

17 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

As i think about it, substitution would be difficult.  If he wanted to run a play that required different personnel, he would have no way to get the message to the sideline.  He would have to run it like hurry up where they run a series without changing the personnel package.

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Understood.  But what’s being suggested is completely different.  Read the original comment.

Read and understood. Whats being suggested is something that went on for years throughout the league. All the QBs did it. What I was pointing out is that AR having wide latitude to change the play from pass to run, the pass routes etc - is the equivalent of it.

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

As i think about it, substitution would be difficult.  If he wanted to run a play that required different personnel, he would have no way to get the message to the sideline.  He would have to run it like hurry up where they run a series without changing the personnel package.

True that.  Or, it could be a hybrid version, where personnel groups are sent onto the field at various points in an offensive series and AR already knows why they’re being sent in and which plays to call with that personnel group.  Just spitballing here for fun.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Read and understood. Whats being suggested is something that went on for years throughout the league. All the QBs did it. What I was pointing out is that AR having wide latitude to change the play from pass to run, the pass routes etc - is the equivalent of it.

Not really, no-

He doesn't really have the capacity to call anything he wants at the line.  They don't have enough signals in the system- it is a very constrained set of choices compared to the entire playbook, or even compared to what is on the card for the game plan.  If he had that kind of flexibility, he wouldn't be complaining about the game plan in the post game press conference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

It was mentioned above that “it used to be that way in the old days”, and what we’re discussing now is a return to the old days and what would happen if Rodgers was given complete autonomy to call every play, as though he was the offensive coordinator.  No input from the coach at all - just make the call in the huddle.  That’s much, much different that the “wide latitude” you’re referring to.  

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Not really, no-

He doesn't really have the capacity to call anything he wants at the line.  They don't have enough signals in the system- it is a very constrained set of choices compared to the entire playbook, or even compared to what is on the card for the game plan.  If he had that kind of flexibility, he wouldn't be complaining about the game plan in the post game press conference.

Obviously there are constraints. Thats a no brainer - but he certainly can change the play within the constraints of the personnel package on the field - and - he wouldnt need to call everything from the LOS. He'd have the opportunity to huddle if he chose. He wouldnt have to call everything from the LOS.