5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

22 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have been quick to criticize Rodgers for passing up the easy yards this season, so I thought it was worth mentioning that Ben Fennell over at The Athletic went out of his way to point out that Rodgers did a very good job of taking the easy yards vs SF and letting the receivers get the YAC.  Fennell's weekly breakdown of GB's All-22 film is probably my favorite column to read, so it was good to see that comment coming from him.

I agree and supplied a handful of his breakdowns in the GB/SF GDT.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Brady is the best at doing exactly what is needed to win.  He's filling Aaron's head with praise to get Rodgers complacent.  We need to bump the Rodgers depreciation thread to counter this.  Good thing I just did. 

“What he’s done as a quarterback, I think it is is inspiring, even for me,” Brady said on WEEI. “I watch his game and it makes me want to get out there and practice and improve because I think he’s so phenomenal with the way he manages himself in the pocket and his ability to throw the football is unlikely anyone probably in the history of the league. It’s pretty awesome to watch.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/30/tom-brady-aaron-rodgers-inspires-me/

• Like 1

I am surprised though that if that was really the case why didn't Greg speak to Aaron during the season at the time or was it Greg being a little thin skinned and Aaron was just joking around. Regardless, Greg was tapering off and Aaron definitely saw that and saw the ascendence of Jordy.

Whatever it was, once Aaron get a whiff of this I think it will add to his chip and hopefully motivate him to win out...

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Can't watch the video right now. Can anyone provide a cliff notes version for a guy? :)

First game of Greg's contract season against the 49ers, Carlos Hyde asks why Jennings is just running piddly routes when he should probably be featured.  Aaron overhears and says the 49ers should try to sign Greg in the offseason.  Greg takes offense, like his QB just dismissed him.

I can see how Greg was not happy.  Looking at it from an outsider, and not knowing Aaron, maybe Aaron was just saying give him a ton of money.  But from Greg it looked like the QB was done with him and not interested in bringing him back.  

Didn't Jennings turn down an offer of an extension in the off season prior to that event though?  

I seem to remember that the offer he turned down was more than he got in Minnesota.  Am I misremembering this?

Seems to me like Jennings isn't owning his choice to overvalue himself and how he maybe over reacted to a comment of uncertain significance.

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

First game of Greg's contract season against the 49ers, Carlos Hyde asks why Jennings is just running piddly routes when he should probably be featured.  Aaron overhears and says the 49ers should try to sign Greg in the offseason.  Greg takes offense, like his QB just dismissed him.

I can see how Greg was not happy.  Looking at it from an outsider, and not knowing Aaron, maybe Aaron was just saying give him a ton of money.  But from Greg it looked like the QB was done with him and not interested in bringing him back.  

Thanks.

I suspect Jennings read too much into that. Seems completely harmless to me.

19 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

First game of Greg's contract season against the 49ers, Carlos Hyde asks why Jennings is just running piddly routes when he should probably be featured.  Aaron overhears and says the 49ers should try to sign Greg in the offseason.  Greg takes offense, like his QB just dismissed him. I can see how Greg was not happy.  Looking at it from an outsider, and not knowing Aaron, maybe Aaron was just saying give him a ton of money.  But from Greg it looked like the QB was done with him and not interested in bringing him back.  

Ya know.....I see Jennings as he makes the rounds of the sports shows and in all honestly (?) he says a lot of nothing. IMO at least. Other athletes are on there that run circles around him with complete, different thoughts and insights. 

Regards the above circumstance - based on the words shown - it could be considered AR is boosting Jennings market value. Apparently he didnt say "get this guy outta here" - and Jennings would be free to choose any offer he wanted. A BIG non-issue far as I can see.

14 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Didn't Jennings turn down an offer of an extension in the off season prior to that event though?  

I seem to remember that the offer he turned down was more than he got in Minnesota.  Am I misremembering this?

Seems to me like Jennings isn't owning his choice to overvalue himself and how he maybe over reacted to a comment of uncertain significance.

Now that you mention it, I kind of recall that too.  But I am not 100% sure either.  I do know that he struggled with some injuries that season, and it was frustrating as a fan, probably more so for him.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Thanks.

I suspect Jennings read too much into that. Seems completely harmless to me.

He admits that he was sensitive and bitter.  But it is easier for us, as outsiders, to take that as a harmless statement than it is for the guy whose livelihood is being discussed.  He said that he wanted to stay in Green Bay, but that statement from Rodgers really stayed with him.  If a co-worker or employer said that about any of us, we would probably feel the same way, regardless of the intent of the statement.  

I love Greg. One of my fav Packers ever. I can’t stand him on TV. Much like Skip, he doesn’t spit facts. It’s all emotional crap. Pair him with Cowherd, and all it is is a “let’s take shots at Aaron jerk fest”. It’s a business bud get over it.