5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

The only team beating the Packers is the Packers. Something definitely seems off with Rodgers and I can't begin to tell you what it is. Maybe @Outpost31 is right and that Rodgers needs to quit being a stat whore and be willing to wing it a little bit more a la Favre. Whatever it is I think your team will be better off without MM and really be a force to be reckoned with next year. The talent is there. 

Just now, Pool said:

The only team beating the Packers is the Packers. Something definitely seems off with Rodgers and I can't begin to tell you what it is. Maybe @Outpost31 is right and that Rodgers needs to quit being a stat whore and be willing to wing it a little bit more a la Favre. Whatever it is I think your team will be better off without MM and really be a force to be reckoned with next year. The talent is there. 

I DON'T EVEN HATE THIS TAKE AND IT'S A BEARS FAN.

3 minutes ago, Pool said:

Rodgers needs to clean up his mechanics and fundamentals.  His footwork is sloppy, throwing off his back foot. 

Maybe I have been spoiled by how accurate he has been in years past, but he is off on some throws that leave yards/points on the field.

4 minutes ago, Howler said:

But why are the route concepts so aggressive & time consuming on short down/distance? Doesn't MM install the offense?

We aren't going to convert every time.  That is an absurd standard.  But often, if you care to look, there are players open short on these passes that Aaron will overlook.  McCarthy absolutely should hold him accountable for this.  But he isn't controlling Rodgers with a video game controller.  Rodgers makes those decisions.  Rodgers is getting a pass with a large portion of the fan base just like Favre did before him.

I know there is a strong contingent that wants McCarthy fired.  I honestly don't care.  I just don't like the blame shifting.  Rodgers is responsible for his own errors, and he does make them.

• Like 2

Just now, squire12 said:

Rodgers needs to clean up his mechanics and fundamentals.  His footwork is sloppy, throwing off his back foot. 

Maybe I have been spoiled by how accurate he has been in years past, but he is off on some throws that leave yards/points on the field.

Also needs to see the field better and get the ball out sooner.  Drop back 3-4 steps, plant, throw.  Or just hand the ball to Jones.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Eerily similar to Favre later in his career...

Difference being Rodgers is taking sacks and missing throws instead of INTs though.

I think it simply boils down to this

Rodgers has been a mess this season, and with him getting the big contract and not going anywhere, the best chance to fix things is to find a new voice who can hopefully reign him in and get him back on track. We saw how McCarthy helped turn Favre around after the tail end of the Sherman era when he first got here

7 minutes ago, Pool said:

I don't know if AR is a stat whore.  If he was he wouldn't be throwing the damn ball out of bounds so much.  I truly believe it is the scheme with these long developing pass patterns.  The O line can't hold them off forever and the WRs don't seem to be able to shake defenders.  Plus we abandon the run a the first time of trouble.  This is a very frustrating offense to watch.  And it shouldn't be.  You are right.  The talent is there but the coaches are not putting their players in the best position to be successful.  :(

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

People will come around. Polaris was alone in hating on Favre until he convinced a couple of us.

It's still a different situation now, but the blind fan adoration and support for Rodgers is rivaling or surpassing Favre now.

See, I don't hate Rodgers, and I didn't hate Favre.  I was a much younger man when the Favre worship was happening, and I bought in too.  And after all of that, I vowed never to blindly praise anyone like that again, because it is stupid.

Moving on from MM is not an indication that he is necessarily a bad coach (or not a good coach, however you want to describe it).   BUT he may not be the right coach for GB in 2019 and beyond when paired with Aaron Rodgers.

I will throw out a older coach....Bruce Arians???

Thoughts on that one

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

I think it simply boils down to this

Rodgers has been a mess this season, and with him getting the big contract and not going anywhere, the best chance to fix things is to find a new voice who can hopefully reign him in and get him back on track. We saw how McCarthy helped turn Favre around after the tail end of the Sherman era when he first got here

Really the only chance Rodgers has left for a ring IMO. I trust Gute to keep building the roster. Really this is the most talented roster since 2014 IMO, really a damn shame these two wasted it. Kind of wish we straight cleaned house after 2017.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

See, I don't hate Rodgers, and I didn't hate Favre.  I was a much younger man when the Favre worship was happening, and I bought in too.  And after all of that, I vowed never to blindly praise anyone like that again, because it is stupid.

Brb buying a ThatJerkDave jersey and bobblehead and autographed picture and  game-used flannel shirt

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Really the only chance Rodgers has left for a ring IMO. I trust Gute to keep building the roster. Really this is the most talented roster since 2014 IMO, really a damn shame these two wasted it. Kind of wish we straight cleaned house after 2017.

Think Gute wanted to give it a yr to see how things work out with McCarthy. I also doubt he had much of a choice in the matter either way since this current power structure in the FO dictates that Gute doesn't even have the authority to fire the HC if he wants. Murphy does. Still hate that btw

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

I don't know if AR is a stat whore.  If he was he wouldn't be throwing the damn ball out of bounds so much.  I truly believe it is the scheme with these long developing pass patterns.  The O line can't hold them off forever and the WRs don't seem to be able to shake defenders.  Plus we abandon the run a the first time of trouble.  This is a very frustrating offense to watch.  And it shouldn't be.  You are right.  The talent is there but the coaches are not putting their players in the best position to be successful.  :(

You're giving Aaron a whole lot of pass.

Jones' best plays came on dump offs and screens, which could have continued throughout the game. AR missed on a few gimme throws from the "best QB in football". 

On a pass play if you never take what's underneath, defenders will fly to the deeper zones.

Throw aways are hardly considered a real negative play. Sometimes an int isn't worse than a sack or a throwaway if you're giving your guy a chance to make a play. It's the NFL sometimes guys have to catch balls they shouldn't.