5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, YaddaHolla said:

Okay boys Tankathon 2019 has officially started. Going after Justin Herbert in the 2020 draft

The NFL is in a weird place. Teams have all caught on to the building a super team around a rookie QB concept. Except all those guys will get 2nd mega deals and those teams will have to do what the rest of us did and slowly purge the roster around them.

We're probably 1 cycle away from being in on this, at least we'll have Gute for it because I'm not sure Ted would have taken advantage. Our super team came from the fact that he crushed some drafts consecutively (much like current New Orleans).

• Like 1

I don't think it's news to anyone that there was a disconnect between Rodgers and Mac that only seemed to be getting worse.  I expect Mac was let go specifically because Murphy/Gute didn't think it was likely that the relationship could be repaired.  The success of the next HC will depend to a very large degree on well they mesh with Rodgers.  For better or worse, the success of this team currently revolves around how well Rodgers performs.  This year we saw first hand that it's not a given that an unmotivated Rodgers will perform well.

• Like 2

The only real outlier on that list is the Ravens.  They're still paying Flacco the big QB contract money, and yet they're still in the playoffs.  It's why I think they're the best overall team from a talent to production standpoint. 

Every other team is proof that my plan of trading my quarterback unless my QB signs a supermodel wife deal is the best way to go in the NFL right now. 

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The only real outlier on that list is the Ravens.  They're still paying Flacco the big QB contract money, and yet they're still in the playoffs.  It's why I think they're the best overall team from a talent to production standpoint. 

Every other team is proof that my plan of trading my quarterback unless my QB signs a supermodel wife deal is the best way to go in the NFL right now. 

Welllllll.......

Here we run into "GB market" issues as I believe few (if any) Supermodels are gonna wanna live in GB. :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The NFL is in a weird place. Teams have all caught on to the building a super team around a rookie QB concept. Except all those guys will get 2nd mega deals and those teams will have to do what the rest of us did and slowly purge the roster around them.

We're probably 1 cycle away from being in on this, at least we'll have Gute for it because I'm not sure Ted would have taken advantage. Our super team came from the fact that he crushed some drafts consecutively (much like current New Orleans).

You really just have to draft well regardless of what you pay at QB.  GB actually was only 17th in cap spending at the QB position this season.  6 playoff teams had higher cap dollars at QB (Ravens,Saints,Colts,Seahawks,Chargers,Patriots) with the Eagles only about 500k less. Vikings and Steelers also spent more and had a good shot at the playoffs late in the season.

Besides Rodgers underperforming though we also spent a **** ton of our cap at WR  (26m #2) and LB (28m #7) this year and didn't get much out of either except 1 player (Davante).  Even if Rodgers cost 10m against our cap this year we still didn't have a very good team where we spent money elsewhere, it's hard to recover from that. 

Just now, Stevein2012 said:

Besides Rodgers underperforming though we also spent a **** ton of our cap at WR  (26m #2) and LB (28m #7) this year and didn't get much out of either except 1 player (Davante).  Even if Rodgers cost 10m against our cap this year we still didn't have a very good team where we spent money elsewhere, it's hard to recover from that. 

Yep, it's not exactly always what you pay the QB.  It is very much about cap health and distribution. 

Where the most money goes had better damn well be where the best production comes from, otherwise you're not in a good position to win in this league. 

I'd bet the Ravens are getting steals at every other position. 

Next couple years Rodgers cap will go up.  Thankfully, we will lose some of our cap distribution to underperforming positions to compensate for Aaron's boost, and we will have two first round picks that will REALLY help with that cap distribution. 

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

While I recognize that there is no reality where it would have ever happened, but it's interesting to think about what kind of deal GB could have gotten for Rodgers after his 2011 season.  That was probably Rodgers peak value, and it just happens that Luck was coming out in the 2012 draft.  Would IND have given a bunch of picks for Rodgers, and then paid him the big extension, or would they have stayed at #1 overall and selected Luck?

On 1/6/2019 at 9:10 AM, Mazrimiv said:

While I recognize that there is no reality where it would have ever happened, but it's interesting to think about what kind of deal GB could have gotten for Rodgers after his 2011 season.  That was probably Rodgers peak value, and it just happens that Luck was coming out in the 2012 draft.  Would IND have given a bunch of picks for Rodgers, and then paid him the big extension, or would they have stayed at #1 overall and selected Luck?

After 2011 we could have gotten an entire roster for Rodgers. 

What we could have gotten for Rodgers in 2011 is more than the Chiefs could get for Mahomes right now.  Rodgers had won Super Bowl MVP, MVP and had literally the best QB season ever.  People always point to Peyton's great season or Tom's great season or even Patrick's great season now... No.  Aaron's was 2011 season was the best regular season for a QB... Ever. 

Brady's - 50/8, 4,800 yards, 69%, 8.3 yards per attempt, 117 rating.
Manning's - 55/10, 5,400 yards, 68%, 8.3 yards per attempt, 115 rating.
Aaron's - 45/6, 4,600 yards 68%, 9.2 yards per attempt, 122 rating. 

31 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

After 2011 we could have gotten an entire roster for Rodgers. 

What we could have gotten for Rodgers in 2011 is more than the Chiefs could get for Mahomes right now.  Rodgers had won Super Bowl MVP, MVP and had literally the best QB season ever.  People always point to Peyton's great season or Tom's great season or even Patrick's great season now... No.  Aaron's was 2011 season was the best regular season for a QB... Ever. 

Brady's - 50/8, 4,800 yards, 69%, 8.3 yards per attempt, 117 rating.
Manning's - 55/10, 5,400 yards, 68%, 8.3 yards per attempt, 115 rating.
Aaron's - 45/6, 4,600 yards 68%, 9.2 yards per attempt, 122 rating. 

How many Super Bowls did Luck and RGIII win combined on that rookie deal? Both missed a ton of time with injury. You'd have been fired as a GM with no prospects for any future FO jobs in the NFL.

When are you going to admit your idea of dealing QBs rather than paying them only works in Madden? The moment your hit rate dips below 100% on the following QB, you're fired and the laughing stock of NFL front offices for trading a stud QB for the rights to draft a bust and set your franchise back half a decade.

• Like 2