5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

Just now, Packerraymond said:

How many Super Bowls did Luck and RGIII win combined on that rookie deal? Both missed a ton of time with injury. You'd have been fired as a GM with no prospects for any future FO jobs in the NFL.

Lol.  It's not a matter of trading Rodgers for Luck or RGIII.  It's a matter of trading for Luck. 

Further, it's not a matter of trading Rodgers for Luck.  It's a matter of trading Rodgers for Luck, plus the Colts second round pick, plus the Colts first round pick the next year, plus the Colts first round pick the year after.  Plus more.  And more yet. 

Luck would have been playing behind OUR line, not the Colts line. 

Injuries are completely and wholly irrelevant to this.  Had Rodgers been traded, literally every single play is different.  In this scenario, you are trading Rodgers for Luck plus about 3 other first (or high second) picks. 

You can't look at injuries in light of this being a hypothetical.  You say Luck has injury problems, I can literally say that Rodgers would have missed as many games over that time as Luck had.  Actually, Rodgers has missed only 10 less games over that period.  Injuries mean nothing to this hypothetical. 

But sure, say it's a matter of trading Rodgers for Luck straight up.  It's the only way you're winning this one. 

Edited by Outpost31

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  It's not a matter of trading Rodgers for Luck or RGIII.  It's a matter of trading for Luck. 

Further, it's not a matter of trading Rodgers for Luck.  It's a matter of trading Rodgers for Luck, plus the Colts second round pick, plus the Colts first round pick the next year, plus the Colts first round pick the year after.  Plus more.  And more yet. 

Luck would have been playing behind OUR line, not the Colts line. 

But sure, say it's a matter of trading Rodgers for Luck straight up.  It's the only way you're winning this one. 

Luck was the highest rated QB possibly ever. I think you're assuming things here thinking the Colts just pass on that, and a ton of other picks for Rodgers. That entire team had been torn down to rebuild for Luck on a rookie deal, adding Rodgers and his deal would've been fitting a square peg in a round hole.

EDIT: This doesn't even matter anyway because your "plan" would have had us deal Luck by now anyway. It's a Madden fantasy.

EDIT: This doesn't even matter anyway because your "plan" would have had us deal Luck by now anyway. It's a Madden fantasy.

If it's such a Madden fantasy, why does it make so much sense? 

You're not going to sit there and tell me there isn't overwhelming evidence to suggest the best, easiest way to win a Super Bowl is with a QB on his rookie contract and high draft capital.

Cowboys, Eagles, Rams.  Three of the final six are exactly this.  Texans and Bears were two more. 

The highest cap hit of any of the remaining quarterbacks is Drew's at 24 million. 

There is one single way to win a Super Bowl in this league and that is to pay your QB less than what they are worth.  If you get that out of your QB, fantastic.  If you don't, you're not winning until the end of that contract when the salary cap catches up to the contract.  Period. 

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If it's such a Madden fantasy, why does it make so much sense? 

You're not going to sit there and tell me there isn't overwhelming evidence to suggest the best, easiest way to win a Super Bowl is with a QB on his rookie contract and high draft capital.

Cowboys, Eagles, Rams.  Three of the final six are exactly this.  Texans and Bears were two more. 

The highest cap hit of any of the remaining quarterbacks is Drew's at 24 million. 

There is one single way to win a Super Bowl in this league and that is to pay your QB less than what they are worth.  If you get that out of your QB, fantastic.  If you don't, you're not winning until the end of that contract when the salary cap catches up to the contract.  Period. 

You've ignored the probably dozen times I've said this is the best way to build a SB contender, everyone knows a performing QB on a rookie deal is the way to go.

However no GM is going to trade him if he's performing well enough to competer for SBs on that deal. It simply isn't realistic. It's career suicide for a GM.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Very interesting. Hopefully explains his lackluster play. It is worrisome that he can’t seem to stay healthy anymore. 

While he has obviously gotten hurt more than you'd like, do think your knee would hold up if a NFL player of that size fell on it in that position?

However no GM is going to trade him if he's performing well enough to competer for SBs on that deal. It simply isn't realistic. It's career suicide for a GM.

It's career dangerous decision, not career suicide.  It's career gamble your life, not career suicide.  If it fails, yeah, you're done as a GM.  If it succeeds, you're remembered as a great GM with balls of steel. 

12 hours ago, Norm said:

15 years from now, people who watched Brett and Aaron, whole careers. What percentage will think more fondly of Aaron?

15 years is a lot of years.  By that time, people will have forgotten about Rodgers last year....as many of us "Favre guys" have forgotten about his diva-ness now.

All Rodgers needs to do is win during these next 3-5 years and I think he will pass Favre in many minds.  Say 50% or so.

Great post, Norm.  Fun to think about!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

15 years is a lot of years.  By that time, people will have forgotten about Rodgers last year....as many of us "Favre guys" have forgotten about his diva-ness now.

All Rodgers needs to do is win during these next 3-5 years and I think he will pass Favre in many minds.  Say 50% or so.

Great post, Norm.  Fun to think about!

Honestly, Favre is just more likeable in general for most Im sure.

Hes just having fun out there.

• Like 1

That movie...Dark Knight....sooooo good that I own it on Blue Ray and don't watch it.  Want to save it so that I forget most of it and am blown away again.

Best ever "hero" movie?  ...I dig the Marvel stuff, but man, it is tough to compete with the Dark Knight.  Probably the best, most interesting villain ever.  Best music when Joker was on camera, too.  Just flat out eerie.