Jump to content
Outpost31

Aaron Rodgers Depreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

On 08/02/2019 at 2:57 PM, Hands said:

It seems to me we are missing something. Where/who are all the people that are out there saying how great AR was as a team leader, friend, and someone they could go to when the chips are down? That is something I haven't read about. Maybe because I live outside WI and don't hear ex-players saying these things about him. I know he's pretty generous, and does a lot of charitable work, just nothing about his leadership, team bonding, and encouragement as a QB.

Future First ballot HOF and one of the most talented defensive players of all time praised Rodgers during his time playing with him in his retirement speech.

I’m going to listen to someone like Julius Peppers with his stature in the game over JMike, Jennings and Janis.

Edited by jontat83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I only remember him criticizing the young receivers once  because they had a lackluster practice iirc. 

How many times did he yell at MVS in game? 6? 7?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, to be honest, that Peppers quote really changed  my perception of Rodgers.  All the players he played with and he singled Aaron out, whom he played with for only three years.  Pretty significant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I see the nice gain to Adams, but I also see the interior line crumble and nearly get Rodgers killed. Byron Bell wasn't doing anything else so at least he got a good view of the play.

Edited by blueswedeshoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:30 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

How many times did he yell at MVS in game? 6? 7?

The body language could be better. But honestly, who gives a ****?  When a player makes a mistake on a routine play that could cost the team a pick 6, I'm fine with them getting chewed out. They're not choir boys. If they cant handle someone yelling at them when they mess up maybe they should do something else in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

The body language could be better. But honestly, who gives a ****?  When a player makes a mistake on a routine play that could cost the team a pick 6, I'm fine with them getting chewed out. They're not choir boys. If they cant handle someone yelling at them when they mess up maybe they should do something else in life.

Strongly suspect that the relationship Rodgers speaks of so highly of is not best fostered by dressing down a teammate on live national television.

Bakhtiari doesn't ***** Rodgers out when Rodgers refuses to throw to an open receiver leading to a sack. EQ doesn't go back to the huddle and ***** at Rodgers everytime he throws the ball nine feet over his head. Williams doesn't complain when his first down checkdown gets missed so Rodgers can throw an out route five feet out of bounds to a covered Davante.

There's only one guy (left) on this team who demonstrably put himself above his teammates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should send Rodgers down to the Salt Lake Stallions so he can work on his footwork in the off-season tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 10:12 AM, JBURGE said:

We should send Rodgers down to the Salt Lake Stallions so he can work on his footwork in the off-season tbh

Do you think his footwork was affected at all by his significant knee injury?  I agree he will need some work on it and I also feel like that was why he was off on his deep throws this year.  I don't see him having an issue correcting his footwork if he knee doesn't hurt.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 9:36 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Strongly suspect that the relationship Rodgers speaks of so highly of is not best fostered by dressing down a teammate on live national television.

Bakhtiari doesn't ***** Rodgers out when Rodgers refuses to throw to an open receiver leading to a sack. EQ doesn't go back to the huddle and ***** at Rodgers everytime he throws the ball nine feet over his head. Williams doesn't complain when his first down checkdown gets missed so Rodgers can throw an out route five feet out of bounds to a covered Davante.

There's only one guy (left) on this team who demonstrably put himself above his teammates.

So you think Rodgers chews out a young teammate for screwing up because he is putting himself above the team or is he doing this because he wants the player to be where he is supposed to be so the play will be successful the next time?   AR doesn't chew out veterans, does he?  After games when he hasn't played well he's said publicly that his play has to improve too.  I have a feeling some here are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

Do you think his footwork was affected at all by his significant knee injury?  I agree he will need some work on it and I also feel like that was why he was off on his deep throws this year.  I don't see him having an issue correcting his footwork if he knee doesn't hurt.  

I checked out highlights from the SB and this past season's game against the Falcons and I didn't see much difference in his footwork.   Perhaps I should be looking at his throwing motion more?  For all we know his accuracy has gone to hell because of these collarbone injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened to a podcast yesterday with Andrew Brandt via The Athletic and he was asked about the difficulty of building a team around a top end QB with a massive contract. He said the huge Rodgers contract isn't an issue at all . Paying $ 30 M to a QB when the team cap is $180 M doesn't represent a problem to him, in fact he said that line of thinking is bunk.

The real killer in terms of building a supporting cast for a top end QB is the other players that aren't living up to their deals - he said that's a far more important aspect of building the roster and managing the cap than the amount AR is earning.

Brandt knows a thing or two about building teams and signing deals, it was interesting to hear his take on the topic. Will be interesting to see how GB handles some of the other large contracts this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I listened to a podcast yesterday with Andrew Brandt via The Athletic and he was asked about the difficulty of building a team around a top end QB with a massive contract. He said the huge Rodgers contract isn't an issue at all . Paying $ 30 M to a QB when the team cap is $180 M doesn't represent a problem to him, in fact he said that line of thinking is bunk.

The real killer in terms of building a supporting cast for a top end QB is the other players that aren't living up to their deals - he said that's a far more important aspect of building the roster and managing the cap than the amount AR is earning.

Brandt knows a thing or two about building teams and signing deals, it was interesting to hear his take on the topic. Will be interesting to see how GB handles some of the other large contracts this offseason.

IF the QB making $30M per year is not living up to that contract, that is a major issue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Pugger said:

So you think Rodgers chews out a young teammate for screwing up because he is putting himself above the team or is he doing this because he wants the player to be where he is supposed to be so the play will be successful the next time?   AR doesn't chew out veterans, does he?  After games when he hasn't played well he's said publicly that his play has to improve too.  I have a feeling some here are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  

It's one of two reasons, either that's the leadership style that's most likely to get results out of the youth, or he's doing it because he's frustrated and lashing out in irritation rather than controlling his emotions and conducting himself in a more positive manner.

Personally I've never been a big fan of yelling at somebody in the moment and especially in public. I don't think it's good for morale or team chemistry. Maybe I'm wrong. 

If that's not what's happening and Rodgers is lashing out, it's either because he knows he can vent his anger and nobody can do anything to him, or he's just out of control.

Most likely it's a combination of all of the above.

Regardless, I'm not a fan, though I'm willing to add in the caveat that maybe he knows the rookies aren't the kind of people that will get defensive and irritated.

 

I'll also say that I'm not a fan of people who are willing to dish it out and not take it. Lord only knows the kind of screaming match or petty bull**** Rodgers would pull if MVS yelled at him for putting a ball three steps out of bounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pugger said:

I checked out highlights from the SB and this past season's game against the Falcons and I didn't see much difference in his footwork.   Perhaps I should be looking at his throwing motion more?  For all we know his accuracy has gone to hell because of these collarbone injuries.

I can't imagine the Packers would have given him that huge extension if they had any concerns at all about thos collarbone injuries.  I would think they watched him very closely after that latest collarbone surgery.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×