5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

11 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/21/former-packers-wr-jordy-nelson-defends-aaron-rodgers-hes-a-great-leader/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“I don’t want to have to be on the phone and defend Aaron. He’s a great leader, we all believe that and believed that and still do,” Nelson said. “He’s hard on people, he demands a lot, but he demands a lot from himself. And I think any great quarterback out there does the same thing."

jesus I miss Jordy

3 hours ago, JBURGE said:

at least summarize it so we don't have to listen 

They basically talked about two issues with brees. First being that he killed the development of some 2nd round qb they drafted by making the meeting room so advanced that he couldnt keep up. Second was that he checks out of running plays way more than the coaches want and it pisses them off sometimes

they also said there was a big difference between checking out of plays and calling different plays in the huddle, which i thought was interesting. They thought rodgers may have done the latter too much this year

12 hours ago, snackattack said:

They basically talked about two issues with brees. First being that he killed the development of some 2nd round qb they drafted by making the meeting room so advanced that he couldnt keep up. Second was that he checks out of running plays way more than the coaches want and it pisses them off sometimes

they also said there was a big difference between checking out of plays and calling different plays in the huddle, which i thought was interesting. They thought rodgers may have done the latter too much this year

They also talked about how legendary Peyton was for doing the kind of stuff Rodgers gets criticized on this board for doing

Edited by snackattack

13 hours ago, snackattack said:

I'm glad you brought this up.  It appears Rodgers isn't the only starting QB to check out of plays his coaches call.  He may have been doing that more this past season because of frustrations with McCarthy.  Were his frustrations justified?  We'll find out this fall, especially if the offense and AR begin to perform better.  But to call out Rodgers for doing what other QBs do is selective criticism IMO.  We can grouse all day long about his performance and his poor accuracy at times this season.  That is a legit beef.

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I'm glad you brought this up.  It appears Rodgers isn't the only starting QB to check out of plays his coaches call.  He may have been doing that more this past season because of frustrations with McCarthy.  Were his frustrations justified?  We'll find out this fall, especially if the offense and AR begin to perform better.  But to call out Rodgers for doing what other QBs do is selective criticism IMO.  We can grouse all day long about his performance and his poor accuracy at times this season.  That is a legit beef.

Mercedes Lewis commented on this about the buffalo game. He was talking about how rodgers called a new play on 3rd and 1 that went for like a 40 yard gain to MVS.  Too hard to know how this went over the course of the year though

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 5:53 PM, Pugger said:

I hope they keep all 3.  ;)

I don't think any of them have a choice.  Cousins is locked in to a guaranteed contract, Chicago has neither the $$ or draft capital to improve the position and Stafford is under contract for 3 more years.  I guess they could trade him but what is available that is better.  Stafford is a solid QB.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Throughout the seasons, Rodgers has played with a bunch of different groupings and has had various levels of success, from above average to HOF. 

In his best years he had a good running game with Ryan Grant and then Eddie Lacy. He also had a bunch of weapons. Driver, Nelson, Jennings, Jones, Finley or Nelson, Adams, Cobb....

In 2015 he lost Nelson, Cobb was dinged up and Adams had an ankle injury. Fat Eddie had a down year and was already eating himself out of the league his third year. But that was the year we had an offensive line of guys in their prime Bakh/Sitton/Tretter/Lang/Bulaga. That’s the year Rodgers had such a sweet pocket inside that he could step up and buy time and step back and then up again until someone came open. He made it work. 

Hes had some hodgepodge lines with Newhouse and Saturday but usually he’s had weapons to make up for it or a RB.

Last year, I’m going to go ahead and be critical of Rodgers for changing so many runs into passes. MM did not seem on board with that. That was AR going too far, and I expect less of that with MLF because a huge part of Lafleur a offense is running the ball and AR has said he’s bought into it. 

But other than that one major issue, he had a makeshift OL a bunch of rookie WRs and a TE in his first year with the team. Gute really put AR in a tough spot last year. 

I do have a good feeling about 2019 because MVS, EQ, Graham, Adams, Allison and Rodgers are all staring from square one together so should be able to build chemistry by a few games in and hit their stride. No rookies. A talented running back. A defense that should be good.

AR has found success with a lot of different players. I expect this year to be a bounce back. I’m taking back some of my frustration with him and getting on board with a good year in 2019.