5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Someone needs to send Bucky Brooks a link to this thread.  Can maybe quibble with the ranking, but I can't say I disagree with him all that much on the gist of what he's saying.

Aaron Rodgers is overrated: Why he's not a top-five quarterback

I guess if Rodgers continues with mediocre stats (for him) this year, then it is fair to say his elite status has taken a permanent hit.  However, I think everyone is expecting a major bounce back now that the Packers have a state of art NFL scheme. The last scheme has been labeled a relic and people got fired over it. 

I'm actually thinking 2020 could be Rodgers "comeback" season.  New system & young WR group could have the offense starting slowly.  The NFC-N also looks kind of tough this season.  I won't be shocked at all if GB just misses out on the playoffs this year.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm actually thinking 2020 could be Rodgers "comeback" season.  New system & young WR group could have the offense starting slowly.  The NFC-N also looks kind of tough this season.  I won't be shocked at all if GB just misses out on the playoffs this year.

That could very well be.....no way to tell at this juncture. An assumption on my part would be that if we lessen all the "scramble drill" crap - and go to a more patterned, less "AR shooting from the hip while he runs all over the field and the WRs employ their best basketball moves to get open" stuff - the offense should be fine.

I think the talents on the field. We need to just distribute the ball more evenly and in less of an ad hoc fashion.

We're in 3rd & 5? Well AR doesnt drop back - run around for 15 seconds - then chuck it 40 yards. He gets the 5 yards completion and lets the receiver build up his YAC stats. First down....start over again.

Thats what I'm hoping for at least.

Less improvisation. More (or better) execution.

It has recently come to my attention that Rodgers only has a 3.73 on wikifeet. We need to do better.

Russell Wilson: 4.47 [editor's note: he would]

Alex Smith: 4.11

Ben Roethlisberger: 3.96

Andrew Luck: 3.93

Tom Brady: 3.89

Drew Brees: 3.89

Cam Newton: 3.89

Fortunately, a division title is still on the table:

Kirk Cousins: 3.0

Matthew Stafford: N/A

Mitchell Trubisky: N/A

please don't ask how much time I spent looking up players on wikifeet

• 1 month later...

Yards Per Attempt:
2019 - Rodgers is 26th in yards per attempt.  .2 yards more per attempt than Eli Manning.
2018 - 17th. 
2017 - 18th
2016 - 13th
2015 - 30th

Completion Percentage:
2015 - 26th
2016 - 9th
2017 - 8th
2018 - 26th
2019 - 24th

Every quarterback in the NFL is getting better with these rule changes because they dink and dunk downfield to set up longer passes.  Rodgers is stuck in 2014. 

If this continues and Rodgers keeps having these 6.4-7.4 yards per attempt against crap defenses, then will people accept that he is not a top half QB? 

On 7/28/2019 at 5:14 PM, Cakeshoppe said:

It has recently come to my attention that Rodgers only has a 3.73 on wikifeet. We need to do better.

Russell Wilson: 4.47 [editor's note: he would]

Alex Smith: 4.11

Ben Roethlisberger: 3.96

Andrew Luck: 3.93

Tom Brady: 3.89

Drew Brees: 3.89

Cam Newton: 3.89

Fortunately, a division title is still on the table:

Kirk Cousins: 3.0

Matthew Stafford: N/A

Mitchell Trubisky: N/A

please don't ask how much time I spent looking up players on wikifeet

I am worried to ask what this measures

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yards Per Attempt:
2019 - Rodgers is 26th in yards per attempt.  .2 yards more per attempt than Eli Manning.
2018 - 17th. 
2017 - 18th
2016 - 13th
2015 - 30th

Completion Percentage:
2015 - 26th
2016 - 9th
2017 - 8th
2018 - 26th
2019 - 24th

Every quarterback in the NFL is getting better with these rule changes because they dink and dunk downfield to set up longer passes.  Rodgers is stuck in 2014. 

If this continues and Rodgers keeps having these 6.4-7.4 yards per attempt against crap defenses, then will people accept that he is not a top half QB? 

So, I think I know the answer to this based on previous posts - but I'm honestly curious, what is the outcome that you would be hoping for from all of this? Based on your argument he's not going to change and he's not coachable. Honestly, if you were the GM and this was how you felt do you really want to trade a HOF QB, esp after what happened with Favre? I mean - based on how people are reacting to your beliefs here, don't you think that would largely be the reaction by the fan base as well?

Alright, I am done with all the hyperbole and vitriol today in order to pose a serious question for serious debate.  If you're just gonna completely not get everything I do here and just be an asshat, don't even bother answering. 

What good is all of Aaron's ability if he cannot even do the simplest part of quarterbacking? 

Drew Brees and Tom Brady never hold the ball for more than 3 seconds and never take hits.  Why?  Because they set up longer passes with shorter passes. 

This worked to perfection in the first three series of yesterday.  Rodgers threw four passes to backs and we were rolling offensively.  He threw dumpoff passes as well. 

Then he starts sitting back in the pocket waiting for deeper plays.

I don't think it's a matter of talent.  The Patriots turn nobody running backs into fantasy superstars. 
I don't think it's a matter of offensive line talent.  We've got a damn good RT, the best LT in the league and a pretty good interior. 
I don't think it's coaching.  McCarthy and LaFleur both now. 

So what good is Aaron's amazing abilities when he doesn't set up the ability to use them? 

Throw short.  Set up deep. 

This is my serious issue with Rodgers.  I'm going to be 100% serious here... A lot of times I'm not serious.  I always have an underlying point, but sometimes I inflate things.  Sometimes.  THAT, however, is my serious point.  Rodgers needs to utilize the short passing game more and get rid of the ball quicker.  There is no offense in today's NFL that does not use that, so why can't Aaron?  Is it pride?  Is it ability?  I know he's been really off on some of those shorter touch passes to running backs in the past.  Is it paranoia?  I legitimately think some of it is paranoia on those drag routes.  I think he's afraid of the receiver not catching it and it getting tipped up in the middle of the field. 

It has to stop.  He has to start setting defenses up.  This offense cannot and will not thrive without it. 

You don't have to do that when your receiving corps is Nelson/Driver/Jennings/Jones/Finley etc, but we don't have that.  We do, however, have a top five WR and some younger guys with talent. 

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yards Per Attempt:
2018 - 17th. 
2017 - 18th
2016 - 13th
2015 - 30th

Completion Percentage:
2015 - 26th
2016 - 9th
2017 - 8th
2018 - 26th
2019 - 24th

Do you think that there is a chance that he can improve on that number? Chicago and Minnesota are two tough draws. 

What rank would make him "good" in your opinion?

Just now, ccecilnosebleed said:

So, I think I know the answer to this based on previous posts - but I'm honestly curious, what is the outcome that you would be hoping for from all of this? Based on your argument he's not going to change and he's not coachable. Honestly, if you were the GM and this was how you felt do you really want to trade a HOF QB, esp after what happened with Favre? I mean - based on how people are reacting to your beliefs here, don't you think that would largely be the reaction by the fan base as well?

He is not at this point tradeable.  I would have traded him before his contract extension.  Now?  No.  Packer fans would revolt and it would be the end of your career if you didn't hit on the next QB, but... It's a risk I would have taken. 

Now?  Bench him.  Humiliate him.  Give him that chip.  Tell him he'll start when he starts taking what the defense gives him.  He will not change unless he is forced to change. 

Can't really do that with Boyle as a backup and as long as the defense keeps us from losing, but if there's a bad stretch of losses, bench him. 

23 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yards Per Attempt:
2018 - 17th. 
2017 - 18th
2016 - 13th
2015 - 30th

Completion Percentage:
2015 - 26th
2016 - 9th
2017 - 8th
2018 - 26th
2019 - 24th

Post his sack totals the last 5 years.

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

Do you think that there is a chance that he can improve on that number? Chicago and Minnesota are two tough draws. 

What rank would make him "good" in your opinion?

He HAS to be in the top 10 of the league in completion percentage and yards per attempt by season's end.  His talent is top five, so if his production is out of the top ten... There are no excuses for him.