Packers Lions Post Game

skibrett15

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Watching Stearns and Counsell work makes me dislike what's going on here more and more. They're so in sync, I don't see that with Mac. More and more I'm feeling like Gute needs to find the guy he wants to lead this team to it all. That's no knock on what Mac accomplished here, but it might be time to move forward.

I'm at the point where I agree with this. It's not about McCarthy being a good or bad coach, but more about is he the right coach for Green Bay at the present time and for the next few years.

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

Ah yes, the old kickers and punters aren't important and they are all identical and never win or lose games argument.

@Norm- Exciting news! Out of my great respect for you, as one of the star posters on this entire site, I brought the Packers' kicking woes to Brutal at The Home; he is doing well and sends you his best wishes! In addition, Brutal recommended that Green Bay sign Ben Agajanian, famous ol'-time placekicker for (Brutal tells me) the Giants and the Packers, back in the day! Also, Azuza College of the Pacific, where he ran (according to Brutal's books) the 100-yard dash in 11.79- not bad for a kicker! His nicknames, Brutal says, were "The Golden Toe", "The Nameless One", and "That Weird-Named Armenian Guy!"

Great idea, I thought, but a little cursory research dislcosed the slight speed bump that Agajanian is dead. Brutal thinks he's still alive, kicking over the hillside just there, don't ye hear the thunk of th' football, young fella me lad?

refer to caption

7 minutes ago, SSG said:

Moving the ball at will doesn't matter much when your matching FG attempts with the opponents TDs.  Yes Crosby's misses were bad but so was an offense that couldn't get into the end zone in the first half.  You need your Kicker to be perfect when you've got an offense that can't score points themselves.  Our first half offense today was every bit as bad as Crosby today.  

Offense has to get better, agreed.  Rodgers especially.  But 0-4 with a missed extra point is about as bad as you can get for a kicker.  They weren't all 50+ yarders either.  This was in a dome too.

3 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

Offense has to get better, agreed.  Rodgers especially.  But 0-4 with a missed extra point is about as bad as you can get for a kicker.  They weren't all 50+ yarders either.  This was in a dome too.

Not arguing that Crosby wasn't TERRIBLE but so was our first half offense.  It was more than just Rodgers.  Our receivers struggled badly to get open and McCarthy's game plan was horrid (refusal to commit to a run game).

IMO it's  a different game if the running game wasn't abandoned on the 3rd and 4th series.  

Wow, that drive right before the half, HHCD vacating his zone to try and poach on a guy who is already double covered allows Jones to score.  Linsley and Taylor butcher the block on the DT on the fumble.  Really bad sequence right before the half there.

Just now, SSG said:

Not arguing that Crosby wasn't TERRIBLE but so was our first half offense.  It was more than just Rodgers.  Our receivers struggled badly to get open and McCarthy's game plan was horrid (refusal to commit to a run game).

IMO it's  a different game if the running game wasn't abandoned on the 3rd and 4th series.  

Yeah whenever we look to run it seems to work.  Even Williams on the first drive was giving us 4 to 5 yards each carry.   

18 minutes ago, bzane said:

@Norm- Exciting news! Out of my great respect for you, as one of the star posters on this entire site, I brought the Packers' kicking woes to Brutal at The Home; he is doing well and sends you his best wishes! In addition, Brutal recommended that Green Bay sign Ben Agajanian, famous ol'-time placekicker for (Brutal tells me) the Giants and the Packers, back in the day! Also, Azuza College of the Pacific, where he ran (according to Brutal's books) the 100-yard dash in 11.79- not bad for a kicker! His nicknames, Brutal says, were "The Golden Toe", "The Nameless One", and "That Weird-Named Armenian Guy!"

Great idea, I thought, but a little cursory research dislcosed the slight speed bump that Agajanian is dead. Brutal thinks he's still alive, kicking over the hillside just there, don't ye hear the thunk of th' football, young fella me lad?

refer to caption

lol amazing.

These games happen. The NFC is stacked right now, and people are winning and losing. welcome to the modern day NFL. We 100% sucked today, but do you know why we will be okay? Because Rodgers going up to Crosby on the sideline. Because MM had Crosby come out and kick again in an abysmal game, and the team congratulated him. Because Rodgers pulling the young Wrs to him for a chat when a timeout was happening. This is a work in progress, and the Goat said so himself. This season is young. There will be growing pains. Hell Detroit should feel like the Packers did last week. That score with minimal production? The Packers beat the Packers today. They won't come the end of the season.

This is leadership, and this is what will make games like this and Washington a blip on the radar we laugh about in January. However, if that was MVS or Antonio Morrison who blew a play to lose the game is Rodgers doing the same thing? No one here can confidently say anything. Not everyone on this team is 35 and been with you for a decade. If feel like the Aaron who used to sit 1-1 with every UDFA in camp and learn their back story has lost his way a bit. The vets on this team need to close the doors in the locker room and fix it. You can gripe about McCarthy all you want, but there's a pride to playing football and that Lions team isn't good and they beat you. They didn't beat you because Aaron Jones got 7 carries, they beat you because you turned the ball over 3 times, missed 4 kicks and had 11 penalties. Bunch of professional athletes shouldn't need a coach to get them ready to execute simple things, it's time some grown *** men in that locker room take some pride in what they do and mentor the young kids, because as a unit we're way to talented for this BS.

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Lions were 4-4 scoring TD's in the redzone ... the Packers again struggled when they got near the redzone.  That's been a problem for a couple seasons now.  This offense tightens up like clam when it gets near an endzone.

I think this is the heart of the matter. Yes, Crosby had a terrible day; but the BIGGER issue is the Packer’s inability to stick the ball in the end zone.

Everything on this team is fixable except:

1. The pass rush - Matthews and Perry aren't getting it done and they are not going to get it done. Gilbert is slightly better than a JAG and Fackrell is less than a JAG. I think one poster stated they were more effective and Matthews and Perry too and it's hard to argue. Think about that for a minute. 

2. The head coach - He is who he is and he's often out coached. He can't possibly see all the offensive innovation going on around the league and think the same crap is still going to work or keep up. If his QB is checking out of too many plays sit his *** for a half and let him know you're in charge. This will never happen so we will continue in our offensive morass. 

3. Mason Crosby will be a head case the rest of the year. I've never really been a fan, admittedly, but today was a joke. Has a kicker ever missed 5 kicks in a game? Asking for a friend. 

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This is leadership, and this is what will make games like this and Washington a blip on the radar we laugh about in January. However, if that was MVS or Antonio Morrison who blew a play to lose the game is Rodgers doing the same thing? No one here can confidently say anything. Not everyone on this team is 35 and been with you for a decade. If feel like the Aaron who used to sit 1-1 with every UDFA in camp and learn their back story has lost his way a bit. The vets on this team need to close the doors in the locker room and fix it. You can gripe about McCarthy all you want, but there's a pride to playing football and that Lions team isn't good and they beat you. They didn't beat you because Aaron Jones got 7 carries, they beat you because you turned the ball over 3 times, missed 4 kicks and had 11 penalties. Bunch of professional athletes shouldn't need a coach to get them ready to execute simple things, it's time some grown *** men in that locker room take some pride in what they do and mentor the young kids, because as a unit we're way to talented for this BS.

Wish he would do this with his young receivers rather than continually berate them. Favre used to make kids like we had playing WR today, look all-pro. He's let them know he was coming there way and had confidence in them. Rodgers doesn't want them on the field and it's pretty obvious. 

What he did for Crosby, good on him. The way he treats young WR's, that is not leadership. 

Archived