Packers Lions Post Game

skibrett15

Just now, Outpost31 said:

ESB did the same thing in a preseason game and a few people scoffed it off as nothing.  I really am shocked by how good ESB and MVS look.  Moore I'm not so thrilled about. 

Based on what we saw in preseason, Moore was probably the rawest of 3.  I know coming out of USF, I thought MVS was the most raw.  But back to Moore, I think the drops are still on everyone's mind.  We saw him create separation, he just dropped the ball.  I mean, Adams and Jones both struggled with that as rookies, so it's not going to end his career or anything.  There's still promise there.

Let's look for positive stuff about this game.

Even with all of the screw-ups we still moved the ball and dominated every stat.  ESB and MVS are players to get excited about.  With more time with AR in practice they'll only get better.

A. Jones is great.  I like all 3 of our RBs.  Unfortunately we got behind so we abandoned the running game.

Did Bell start on the O line again?  I thought the line did pretty well.  AR holding onto the ball and WRs not getting open were more of a problem.  

Our D line is pretty good even after losing Mo.  Clark is a stud and Daniels can be a force.

I like our young corners.   With more seasoning they'll be fine.

I'm not worried about Crosby.  He is usually reliable...unless he struggles again Monday night...

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Let's put something into perspective.  The Lions scored 17 points directly off of turnovers.  The defense allowed an additional 14 points that weren't directly tied to turnovers.  Right now, there are 7 teams who are allowing less than 20 PPG.  That's despite the "complete lack of a pass rush" that you've alluded to.  So despite the defense not playing well individually, it's been productive.  Just keep that in mind.

That being said, using the power of hindsight how do you fix the pass rush last offseason that doesn't kill our CB corps.  I'll be waiting.

Draft pass rushers in 2017 and sign one of the 15 or so CBs available in FA. Pretty simple really. We went King, Jones, Adams and we are paying for it. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Draft pass rushers in 2017 and sign one of the 15 or so CBs available in FA. Pretty simple really. We went King, Jones, Adams and we are paying for it. 

TJ Watt would look really good for every Browns game and Falcons game we play. 

The dude is extremely average and people act like he's white Reggie White. 

TJ Watt and Clay Matthews have nearly identical ratings on this season.  If we'd drafted Watt, you'd be screaming for King. 

TJ Watt is not some great pass rusher.  He's literally average AT BEST. 

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You do realize that 2017 pass rush draft class that was available when the Packers picked (sans TJ Watt) have been miserable right?  Tyus Bowser has 3 career sacks in 21 career games, Ryan Anderson has 1 career sack in 17 games, DeMarcus Walker has 1 career sack in 10 games, Tanoh Kpassagnon has 2 sacks in 21 games, Dawuane Smoot has 0 sacks in 16 games, Jordan Willis has 1 sack in 21 games, Daeshon Hall was cut after 1 year with the Panthers, Tim Williams has 2 career sacks in 10 games, Tarell Basham was cut recently by the Colts, Derek Rivers has played in 1 career game, and Trey Hendrickson has 2 career sacks in 13 games.  That's every player that was drafted from our natural 1st round pick until the end of the 3rd round.  There's not an EDGE in that group that "fixes" or even makes a dent in our situation.  Hell, the only EDGE that might have helped our situation was Carl Lawson, and it was pretty evident that he was medically removed from our board.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

It appears MVS is the fastest of our rookie WRs  but I think EQ's more than fast enough (for a guy his size) that he should be / could be a good weapon. I'm hopeful for all of them - but I like these players are at the upper edge of the athletic chart - as opposed to some 6'0 4.5 guy.

I liked what I saw from EQ, especially his routes!  He was able to run smooth, crisp routes and get separation, and his hands seemed sure on the ball.  Very promising future IMO.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

There's absolutely no reason to bring up Jones yesterday other than the Jones crowd is a stubborn, annoying group that feels they know more than they do. Williams was up around 6 YPC too and Monty did some decent things in the pass game. RBs had no bearing on yesterday's outcome.

If you want to complain about the continual lack of flow of the offense, about the fact that we routinely have groups of receivers finish their routes on top of each other, the continued wasting of time outs, trusting Crosby from 56 over Rodgers or the perceived lack of leadership and passion from this team I'm all ears. 

This team is turning the ball over, committing penalties and stalling in the red zone at league worst rates I imagine. Mac has to get that fixed, at the same time the guys on the field shouldn't need a HC to not break the rules of the game or hold onto the damn football. This team needs a collective *** chewing from HC all the way down to #53 on the roster.

Mac's use of Aron Jones goes back beyond this year. It's a no-brainer that he should be used more. You're reasoning that Williams was also at 6 yds/carry so using Jones more wouldn't have mattered it ridiculous. Jones is a much bigger home run threat. Hell, Barry Sanders averaged 5 yds/carry for his career. So I guess Williams is on par with him too, eh? 

And Mac does have a ton of flaws, which I've also pointed out. So get off the "only whining about Jones" argument.

Bottom line, Mac isn't getting the job done. He hasn't for a while. Time for a change. 

So, did Aaron Jones miss a bunch of blocks yesterday or something .. I know we were down big at times, but Jones is also an excellent receiver, and offers a big play dimension over Williams for sure.  Even Rodgers basically says Jones should be on the field.  I wonder if Gute is on board with how some of these players are being used .. not that he can do anything about it since he can't hire and fire.

1 minute ago, Slinky said:

Mac's use of Aron Jones goes back beyond this year. It's a no-brainer that he should be used more. You're reasoning that Williams was also at 6 yds/carry so using Jones more wouldn't have mattered it ridiculous. Jones is a much bigger home run threat. Hell, Barry Sanders averaged 5 yds/carry for his career. So I guess Williams is on par with him too, eh? 

And Mac does have a ton of flaws, which I've also pointed out. So get off the "only whining about Jones" argument.

Bottom line, Mac isn't getting the job done. He hasn't for a while. Time for a change. 

If "not getting the job done" 5 weeks in is a reason for firing, we should be axing 3/4's of our coaching staff and about 40 players.

A new coach isn't going to make grown football players not fumble or hold or grab a facemask. You Mac haters refuse to call out players or hold them responsible for simple responsibilities that a coach has no bearing on.

The entire product sucks right now. If we had a different coach, odds are it would still suck. The game is way more about locker room leadership than it is coaching. Way more pride in the craft is needed from our "leaders."

Archived