PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Epic is partially (40%) owned by Tencent so anyone that uses the Epic launcher is almost assuredly getting their data collected by the Chinese government, so.... 

Just depends how much you care about Tencent. 

I like to support Epic quite a bit. Steam pretty much has a stranglehold on the PC gaming market. If a game isn't on steam, it seems like a lot of people will be hard pressed to buy it. This just feels bad for consumers if left unchecked. Steam could take a higher % cut from the devs, push more ads onto their platform, stop innovating/improving their client, etc. Epic is the only store that seems to be actively competing with them.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Epic is partially (40%) owned by Tencent so anyone that uses the Epic launcher is almost assuredly getting their data collected by the Chinese government, so.... 

If you don't think your data isn't being collected in everyday life, you're nuts. Now you got the good folks out there who has the ability to spoof their info and protect it, but for the majority of end users, our stuff is already out there in the wild. Most are like me and broke so those folks don't care enough. icon_lol.gif

1 minute ago, RavensfanRD said:

If you don't think your data isn't being collected in everyday life, you're nuts. Now you got the good folks out there who has the ability to spoof their info and protect it, but for the majority of end users, our stuff is already out there in the wild. Most are like me and broke so those folks don't care enough. icon_lol.gif

Agreed about the privacy stuff, I just wouldn't call Epic a "super legit" company.

Tencent is one of the most powerful companies in the world, and is heavily tied into the Chinese government. 

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Agreed about the privacy stuff, I just wouldn't call Epic a "super legit" company.

Tencent is one of the most powerful companies in the world, and is heavily tied into the Chinese government. 

Well, I said the legit part more so because they're big American company who've published games like Gears of War, etc. Was just pointing out it isn't some indie game company from a 3rd world country. Now whether they are scumbags or not is an entirely different story, but I agree with you. I get it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Every other launcher on the internet collects your data and uses it anyway I don't see the point in complaining about epic doing it.

Also if you've ever played LoL you're in the exact same boat and they've never had any major issues aside from being a cash dump. 

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Microsoft is deep in Chinas pockets too.  They sell alot of the info they collect to them.

China sucks, but the reality is, unless you stop using most technology altogether, China will somehow get your info.  The info Epic gets from me is going to be info China already has on me....unless they are curious about how many innocent people I kill in Grand Theft Auto.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I heard Surviving Mars is fun but I haven't tried it yet though. Stellaris is awesome, as is Europa Universalizes 4. Paradox Interactive games are on sale right now on steam. Great selection. 

Thanks, I will look them up.  Been meaning to get some more games on my laptop.  Currently I really only use it for SWTOR.  

• Like 1

Just bought Witcher 1 for $1.49.      So I got Witcher 1 and 2 for less than $5.       

Witcher 2 seems pretty damn good from what little Ive played, but we will see.

Witcher 1 was really cheap so Ill give it a chance.   Its the Enhanced Edition.    I want to try to get the full Witcher experience.   It might be awhile until I play these, but I got them dirt cheap.

If Witcher 3, GOTY edition drops below $10 on PC, I will get that too.   Otherwise, Ill just wait since I ALWAYS see it for $15.    

• Like 1

I am now super conflicted on whether to upgrade to Ryzen 4000 or wait until the socket changes to AM5. I really didn't think AMD would change their stance on not allowing support for B450 motherboards. It's a welcomed change no doubt, but a very surprising one. I think the smart play for me would just be to wait for the new GPUs, buy that and wait for the socket change. This 2600 should still be more than enough for a while. Might even try my hand and overclocking it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I am now super conflicted on whether to upgrade to Ryzen 4000 or wait until the socket changes to AM5. I really didn't think AMD would change their stance on not allowing support for B450 motherboards. It's a welcomed change no doubt, but a very surprising one. I think the smart play for me would just be to wait for the new GPUs, buy that and wait for the socket change. This 2600 should still be more than enough for a while. Might even try my hand and overclocking it.

I think you are better off waiting too.  2600s are still pretty damn great based on everything Ive read, and unless you are using your PC for more extreme tasks than gaming, you should be fine.

This is why I went with more of a budget build this time....since I may want to upgrade my rig in 3 or 4 years or possibly just build an entirely new system.

22 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Just bought Witcher 1 for $1.49.      So I got Witcher 1 and 2 for less than $5.       

Witcher 2 seems pretty damn good from what little Ive played, but we will see.

Witcher 1 was really cheap so Ill give it a chance.   Its the Enhanced Edition.    I want to try to get the full Witcher experience.   It might be awhile until I play these, but I got them dirt cheap.

If Witcher 3, GOTY edition drops below $10 on PC, I will get that too.   Otherwise, Ill just wait since I ALWAYS see it for $15.    

Unfortunately Witcher 1 did not age well. It's nowhere near the experience 2 or 3 was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

Unfortunately Witcher 1 did not age well. It's nowhere near the experience 2 or 3 was.

I've heard the same thing from people who love it.  Similar to how the Mass Effect trilogy went.  I went back and did a whole playthrough a year ago, and the first game left me completely underwhelmed.  

5 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

I played a little and its okay.   I mainly just want to play it for the story though.  I might just put it on easy and rip through it.