PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

What are you trying to play? The build you have here is fine, but I would highly recommend getting a better processor if you can afford it, will really help the performance.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-8400-Coffee-LGA1151-BX80684I58400/dp/B0759FGJ3Q

That is about $100 more but you get six cores(not multi-threaded) and it would perform a lot better. Maybe skip the SSD and just get a HD to save some money in order to get the better processor now, you can always just install a SSD later, but replacing a CPU is more costly cause your old one becomes useless.

Primarily Rocket League and PUBG if I had to guess. I was under the impression that the SSD over HD is crucial. Like I said, I've never done this before, but where will I see the big boost in performance with the i5? Frames or graphics? My biggest thing is getting something that will provide me with a high FPS

Just now, packerrfan74 said:

Primarily Rocket League and PUBG if I had to guess. I was under the impression that the SSD over HD is crucial. Like I said, I've never done this before, but where will I see the big boost in performance with the i5? Frames or graphics? My biggest thing is getting something that will provide me with a high FPS

A game like PUBG the difference would be noticeable as it is a processor heavy game. Typically games like PUBG, CS, and other shooters are more dependent on CPU then GPU, but that isn't always the case.

SSD's are amazing and will make the computer way faster, but if you are going strictly for gaming performance, the SSD adds nothing but a faster load of the game. I highly recommend getting and SSD, but if it came down to one or the other get the better CPU now and get the SSD later. Installing an SSD is easy and  they are getting even cheaper all the time, but replacing a CPU is awful, because the old CPU is useless, where as after installing a new SSD you can still use the HD for storage.

• Like 3

@packerrfan74 

You also don't need a 500 GB SSD. It is nice, but if you just put your boot and favorite games on the SSD that should be plenty.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-3-5inch-Internal-Warranty/dp/B00X95ROOS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516140895&sr=8-3&keywords=hard+drive+500gb

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-120GB-SDSSDA-120G-G26-Newest-Version/dp/B01F9G414U/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516140937&sr=1-3&keywords=ssd+120gb

Those two together would give you more storage for less money, and you would still have the advantages of an SSD.

32 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

SSD's are amazing and will make the computer way faster, but if you are going strictly for gaming performance, the SSD adds nothing but a faster load of the game. I highly recommend getting and SSD, but if it came down to one or the other get the better CPU now and get the SSD later. Installing an SSD is easy and  they are getting even cheaper all the time, but replacing a CPU is awful, because the old CPU is useless, where as after installing a new SSD you can still use the HD for storage.

As someone who just got an SSD not too long ago, they are AMAZING. But also as someone who didn't have one for the longest time, it's hard to process how nice they are lol. So it's a bit of ignorance is bliss if you want to save some money. 

If I wanted to re-design my "battlestation" (desk/setup) and have FF help me do it, should I make a new thread or just post in here? I'm thinking about posting my current setup and the parts I have, and then explaining what I want to have (including a new desk) and how I want it to look (from a very generic standpoint).

30 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

If I wanted to re-design my "battlestation" (desk/setup) and have FF help me do it, should I make a new thread or just post in here? I'm thinking about posting my current setup and the parts I have, and then explaining what I want to have (including a new desk) and how I want it to look (from a very generic standpoint).

Dude that Battlestation subreddit is the place to go. Those dudes are crazy with their set-ups and very knowledgeable 

55 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

That's where I just got my motivation from :)

5hEoTXD.jpg

this is back in July when i put my setup together. No PC obviously, but i have my 1X there now with a few other additions. Everyone likes the desks.. i still prefer kitchen tables. More space. 

@Darth Pees yeah that is a gorgeous set-up. Pretty sure thats an IKEA desk.. I know that is the preferred desk at r/Battlestations. Cable Management is easy man. Can definitely be daunting if you approach an old set-up but if your putting something new together, if you do it as you go, it's easy. Zip ties and velcro strips were my friend. 

EDIT: Make a new thread though! A Battlestation thread would be dope here. 

Edited by packerrfan74

Is this where everyone brags about their rigs?  Some of those desks do look nice, I'm going to be looking to pick one up that can handle 3 monitors more than likely.  Currently using an L-shaped desk that's nice but with 2 monitors, wanting to add a 3rd, it feels overloaded at times trying to game as I'm sitting in angle.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking maybe just wallmounting my monitors after I move even.

Other option I was thinking of is saving up for one of these:

J20-Gaming-Computer-Workstation-Dimensio

I find cable management super overrated, at least for my purposes. I clean and/or move around my gear often enough to where I do not want anything interfering, otherwise it would discourage me from cleaning. My cables look like a gigantic mess, but they're never tangled and I can easily unplug and swap equipment instantly.

I have a glass computer desk with a spine mount for 2 monitors. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Never not mounting monitors again.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

Is this where everyone brags about their rigs?  Some of those desks do look nice, I'm going to be looking to pick one up that can handle 3 monitors more than likely.  Currently using an L-shaped desk that's nice but with 2 monitors, wanting to add a 3rd, it feels overloaded at times trying to game as I'm sitting in angle.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking maybe just wallmounting my monitors after I move even.

Other option I was thinking of is saving up for one of these:

J20-Gaming-Computer-Workstation-Dimensio

Haha that's so awesome.  Looks like the cockpit of a plane or something lol