PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

9 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

I saw a video of the reveal and there was a literal moan across the audience, I don't know if I've ever seen that AT a company's event.

I'm pretty sure there's been riots (at least online) after game reveals. The worst part is valve could do something amazing....but nope they'll just take their 20% on all steam transactions and laugh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Hey guys how hard is it to swap out a motherboard?  Pretty sure mine is dead. It's a sabertoot z77h

Not hard at all, just watch a few youtube videos on it and you shouldn't have any problems. The main thing to remember when handling motherboards is to take all precautions possible to avoid a static charge because that will fry the motherboard there are anti-static wristbands but in all honesty you don't really need them, just touch an unpainted area on the metal surface of your case  before handling the motherboard to discharge any static buildup and do so periodically while handling the motherboard and you'll be fine. 

You don't have to get the exact same model if you find a better z77 motherboard the CPU will be compatible...but honestly...if your still using z77 and the sandy bridge or ivy bridge processors you're due for an upgrade anyway tbh. 

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Not hard at all, just watch a few youtube videos on it and you shouldn't have any problems. The main thing to remember when handling motherboards is to take all precautions possible to avoid a static charge because that will fry the motherboard there are anti-static wristbands but in all honesty you don't really need them, just touch an unpainted area on the metal surface of your case  before handling the motherboard to discharge any static buildup and do so periodically while handling the motherboard and you'll be fine. 

You don't have to get the exact same model if you find a better z77 motherboard the CPU will be compatible...but honestly...if your still using z77 and the sandy bridge or ivy bridge processors you're due for an upgrade anyway tbh. 

Thanks for the reply!  Yeah the CPU is an i7-3770k. I was actually thinking about just upgrading anyway. I looked around at prices for another z77 and it's $200. So that would probably be the best way to go then?  This will sound dumb, if I get a new board and CPU all that's on my current computer will still be there, correct? OS and other programs I have? Or will I have to start all fresh?

ill probably have more questions lol

7 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Thanks for the reply!  Yeah the CPU is an i7-3770k. I was actually thinking about just upgrading anyway. I looked around at prices for another z77 and it's $200. So that would probably be the best way to go then?  This will sound dumb, if I get a new board and CPU all that's on my current computer will still be there, correct? OS and other programs I have? Or will I have to start all fresh?

ill probably have more questions lol

Unfortunately most of the time there will be issues trying to plug your old HD into a new motherboard without doing a reinstall of windows because when windows installs on a computer it installs drivers specific to the hardware of the system it's being installed on...so when you plug the old hard drive into the new motherboard it's going to create driver conflicts and some things won't work correctly (if it'll even start up properly to begin with...sometimes it will, sometimes it wont). 

Here is a link to someone who asked a similar question elsewhere that was answered in much more detail then I feel like having to type, lol.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1872439/hdd-mobo-cpu.html

On 9/17/2017 at 8:10 PM, rob_shadows said:

Unfortunately most of the time there will be issues trying to plug your old HD into a new motherboard without doing a reinstall of windows because when windows installs on a computer it installs drivers specific to the hardware of the system it's being installed on...so when you plug the old hard drive into the new motherboard it's going to create driver conflicts and some things won't work correctly (if it'll even start up properly to begin with...sometimes it will, sometimes it wont). 

Here is a link to someone who asked a similar question elsewhere that was answered in much more detail then I feel like having to type, lol.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1872439/hdd-mobo-cpu.html

Thanks man I'll reread the link. Lots to digest.