PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

14 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Steam summer sale starts tomorrow, any you have hopes and dreams for? I'm looking forward to getting the rest of the Nancy Drew games. They went on sale for ~$2/per last winter so hoping for the same thing this time around. 

Its a pipe dream but I'm hoping for a good price on Far Cry 5.  Its probably too soon to hope for it to hit 30 bucks or below, but if it does I'll certainly buy it.

Steam Link on sale for $2.50. That might actually be one of the greatest bargains in tech history.

It's not good for most multiplayer games, but outstanding for most single player stuff, especially for couch games. More importantly, think of it as more of an HDMI cable. Do you want to stream your PC (not just Steam stuff, ANYTHING from your screen) over to a TV that's too far, in another room, on another floor? This is it. People who play emulators, this is easily your best option, anything else is worse and more expensive. And it's literally cheaper than an actual HDMI cable lol.

17 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Steam Link on sale for $2.50. That might actually be one of the greatest bargains in tech history.

It's not good for most multiplayer games, but outstanding for most single player stuff, especially for couch games. More importantly, think of it as more of an HDMI cable. Do you want to stream your PC (not just Steam stuff, ANYTHING from your screen) over to a TV that's too far, in another room, on another floor? This is it. People who play emulators, this is easily your best option, anything else is worse and more expensive. And it's literally cheaper than an actual HDMI cable lol.

Do I need anything else or just the Steam Link?  How does it connect to the PC?

EDIT: Never mind, used the Google and found out.  Thanks for posting, I was wanting to play Fallout in my living room the other day, glad to pay essentially nothing for a solution.  

Edited by flyers0909

On 6/20/2018 at 8:18 PM, skywindO2 said:

Steam summer sale starts tomorrow, what do you have hopes and dreams for? I'm looking forward to getting the rest of the Nancy Drew games. They went on sale for ~$2/per last winter so hoping for the same thing this time around. 

The holy time is upon us.

Ironically, there isn't much I really want that is significant discounted. Maybe Sniper Elite 4.

17 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Note that the shipping makes it $10 and gamestop sells it for the same price if you can get it for pickup at your local Gamestop.

Damn, 2.50 is great.  Got mine for 15 bucks last summer.  I seldom use it tbh, though I would like to start using it more, just haven't had much time lately.  Even on wireless in an average network, I've found very little latency in my short testing of it.

On 6/21/2018 at 3:40 PM, Mossburg said:

For emulators, it's just fantastic. I can't recommend it enough. You can get away with some online stuff if you're just being casual af with them too. Truth is, I haven't touched mine in ages, but being able to use the power of my PC in other rooms for emulation was great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • System: Intel Core i7-8700K Six-Core Processor 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Max Turbo) | 16GB DDR4 RAM | 1TB HDD | 240GB SSD | Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Dedicated Gaming Video Card | VR Ready | Display Connectors: HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI
  • Connectivity: 4 x USB 3.1 | 2 x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | 802.11AC Wi-Fi | Audio: 7.1 Channel
  • Special Add Ons: Liquid Cooling | Tempered Side Glass | 16 Color RGB Lighting Remote Controlled Case

$1200

That seems like a great deal...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:
  • System: Intel Core i7-8700K Six-Core Processor 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Max Turbo) | 16GB DDR4 RAM | 1TB HDD | 240GB SSD | Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Dedicated Gaming Video Card | VR Ready | Display Connectors: HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI
  • Connectivity: 4 x USB 3.1 | 2 x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | 802.11AC Wi-Fi | Audio: 7.1 Channel
  • Special Add Ons: Liquid Cooling | Tempered Side Glass | 16 Color RGB Lighting Remote Controlled Case

$1200

I assume this system was pre-owned?  That's a really great deal, maybe a little too good. I'd tread carefully and make sure to thoroughly check everything out before putting money down on it. 

5 minutes ago, Geek said:

I assume this system was pre-owned?  That's a really great deal, maybe a little too good. I'd tread carefully and make sure to thoroughly check everything out before putting money down on it. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BDTTQ1M/ref=s9_acsd_bw_wf_a_BTSmainw_cdl_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=PGYMCS86PSAQ64DC7BJJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=fa5d7453-a344-4d21-bb60-bbbbd7234b9c&pf_rd_i=15201447011

EDIT: Well, it looks like the deal is over. Back up to $1500.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

$1200

Seems very generous. Off the top of my head.

i7-8700- $350

1TB HDD- $100

16GB DDR4- $150

240GB SSD- $80

Windows 10 Home- $100

GTX 1070- $400-$500

Liquid Cooling Systerm- $50-100

$1230 for round about bottom dollar.

Well, I pulled the trigger and finally bought the parts for my build. I got everything for $750 so I'm pretty happy with that.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor 
Cooler: CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 NVMe Solid State Drive  
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case  
Power: EVGA - 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

Really excited to try out a NVMe SSD. 

Now I just need to pick a video card....