PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

I don't think using third party coolers is worthwhile, the stock ones work just fine unless you're overclocking.

However, I think it's worth sharing that Civ5 did eventually push me into getting a water cooler but I can't imagine even modern games come close to the processing power requirements for late game Civilization. 

12 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I don't think using third party coolers is worthwhile, the stock ones work just fine unless you're overclocking.

However, I think it's worth sharing that Civ5 did eventually push me into getting a water cooler but I can't imagine even modern games come close to the processing power requirements for late game Civilization. 

I mainly got it just for the aesthetics xD

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Well, I pulled the trigger and finally bought the parts for my build. I got everything for $750 so I'm pretty happy with that.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor 
Cooler: CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 NVMe Solid State Drive  
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case  
Power: EVGA - 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

Really excited to try out a NVMe SSD. 

Now I just need to pick a video card.... 

I love that thermaltake case.  Solid build.

On 7/17/2018 at 2:43 PM, skywindO2 said:

Is the game well optimized to use 4 cores or more?

Pisses me off how Starcraft 2 only pushes 2 cores and the only thing that matters is clock speed like back in the Pentium II days lol.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:43 AM, skywindO2 said:

Wait, what? You can run civ5 on a toaster

And if you aren't overclocking you're a big silly goose. I've been running my old *** 2500k at 4.8ghz 24/7 since September 2011. It's finally rational to upgrade. Wouldn't be the case at stock. Though it would have fried a month later on stock cooling.

2 hours ago, Norm said:

Wait, what? You can run civ5 on a toaster

And if you aren't overclocking you're a big silly goose. I've been running my old *** 2500k at 4.8ghz 24/7 since September 2011. It's finally rational to upgrade. Wouldn't be the case at stock. Though it would have fried a month later on stock cooling.

I think he's referring to the lag that can come into play in Civ games once you get late into the game and the map is cluttered with cities and units.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 9:13 AM, Heimdallr said:

Well, I pulled the trigger and finally bought the parts for my build. I got everything for $750 so I'm pretty happy with that.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor 
Cooler: CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 NVMe Solid State Drive  
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case  
Power: EVGA - 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

Really excited to try out a NVMe SSD. 

Now I just need to pick a video card.... 

Nice build. Just a couple of things. You didn't really need the 3rd party CPU cooler as the 8400 isn't overclockable, but the M9i is much better than Intel stock coolers and is only $20 so really no big deal. Also, you could have saved around $50 on an H370i Asus Mobo, since you aren't overclocking the 8400 and you already have 2666 ram, which that H370i board supports. I would have used that money to upgrade the PSU to an EVGA G3 550w Gold PSU which would allow you to get a better GPU in the future and not worry about the PSU not quite being good enough for full confidence, which is a MUCH better PSU and you still get the same performance

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I think he's referring to the lag that can come into play in Civ games once you get late into the game and the map is cluttered with cities and units.

Yeah. I just didn't think it was actually that intensive on any decent level of hardware I guess.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure plenty of games these days put that much pressure on the CPU

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah. I just didn't think it was actually that intensive on any decent level of hardware I guess.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure plenty of games these days put that much pressure on the CPU

I don't think most games, even new ones, fully optimize CPUs like we hope they should. Games that scale into crazy late game (like SC2) with more and more shiz happening usually have these issues more so than limited environments games.

24 minutes ago, Norm said:

It was definitely hyperbolic on my part but yeah but Civ is the only game that's really pushed my processor and would eventually crash my computer. Sometimes ending the turn would take 3-4 minutes, it was ridiculous. Installing a liquid cooler fixed the crashing, turns still took time to end though. Prior to that, I had no issues with stock cooler. It took a very specific issue/game to get me to change. I don't think newer games put as much stress on processors, I was under the assumption that RAM and video cards are what got hit hardest. Game genre is probably a big factor too. Strategy games are likely more taxing on CPU compared to action/shooters that are more popular. 

Like @Mossburg said, optimization is lacking too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

Nice build. Just a couple of things. You didn't really need the 3rd party CPU cooler as the 8400 isn't overclockable, but the M9i is much better than Intel stock coolers and is only $20 so really no big deal. Also, you could have saved around $50 on an H370i Asus Mobo, since you aren't overclocking the 8400 and you already have 2666 ram, which that H370i board supports. I would have used that money to upgrade the PSU to an EVGA G3 550w Gold PSU which would allow you to get a better GPU in the future and not worry about the PSU not quite being good enough for full confidence, which is a MUCH better PSU and you still get the same performance

That is actually the PSU I had planned on, but the one I got was a Prime Day special, so I decided to save the money.

I don’t plan on messing with overclocking, at least not right away, but I did want to have the option of upgrading in the future which is why I went with the more expensive mobo and 1x16 GB RAM.

i could have saved $50-$100 shopping around for components, but getting everything on Amazon is just too convenient.

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

That is actually the PSU I had planned on, but the one I got was a Prime Day special, so I decided to save the money.

I don’t plan on messing with overclocking, at least not right away, but I did want to have the option of upgrading in the future which is why I went with the more expensive mobo and 1x16 GB RAM.

i could have saved $50-$100 shopping around for components, but getting everything on Amazon is just too convenient.

I understand, just note that you might need to upgrade the PSU in the future depending on the GPU you get. I would have recommended getting a 650w G3 just to have great PSU with enough wattage to handle a 1080ti. Which not saying you'll buy but just encase in the future, but if you're gonna buy a $700 GPU then you can afford another $80 for the upgraded PSU.

I'm nitpicking the build is great.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

I understand, just note that you might need to upgrade the PSU in the future depending on the GPU you get. I would have recommended getting a 650w G3 just to have great PSU with enough wattage to handle a 1080ti. Which not saying you'll buy but just encase in the future, but if you're gonna buy a $700 GPU then you can afford another $80 for the upgraded PSU.

I'm nitpicking the build is great.

Yeah, definitely not going near a 1080Ti. I’m more concerned about things being quiet than super hardcore gaming, and I’d be concerned about heat in that case with a beefy GPU.

I ended up getting an ASUS Phoenix 1060 6GB. Originally I was going to get a mini 1050. Not sure why happened. At that point I had already spent over a grand on Amazon that night and was just on a roll. Can’t stop, won’t stop.

I don’t even really do much PC gaming. I just wanted to be able to go 5+ years without buying anything new.

I appreciate the feedback; I’ve never built a PC before

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Yeah, definitely not going near a 1080Ti. I’m more concerned about things being quiet than super hardcore gaming, and I’d be concerned about heat in that case with a beefy GPU.

I ended up getting an ASUS Phoenix 1060 6GB. Originally I was going to get a mini 1050. Not sure why happened. At that point I had already spent over a grand on Amazon that night and was just on a roll. Can’t stop, won’t stop.

I don’t even really do much PC gaming. I just wanted to be able to go 5+ years without buying anything new.

I appreciate the feedback; I’ve never built a PC before

Yeah, your 500w will do fine with a 1060. It's a good card.