PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

49 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im considering getting a new PC soon.  Not sure if Im going to attempt to build one or buy another from Cyberpower PC.  Probably going to spend between 1500 and 2500.  Still contemplating what I want.

Build one! Always build one! Most likely will come out cheaper and have more efficient parts.

On 12/13/2019 at 4:14 PM, Cheesehawk said:

Its stupid confusing and I still dont understand it. I just did a comparison online between the 2 and the 970 seems to be the better card.

What GPU did you wind up getting? I'm still using a GTX 1060 (3GB) and want to upgrade. I think I'm going to hold off until next year since newer cards are coming and that means cheaper prices on the cards I'm looking at. 

1. RTX 2070 Super

2. AMD 5700 XT (The hot card right now)

3. RTX 2060 Super (Would be my budget choice)

I'm just so undecided. But hopefully next year everything works out how I need it to so I can install some RGB Ram and possibly liquid cooling in my case.

25 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Build one! Always build one! Most likely will come out cheaper and have more efficient parts.

What GPU did you wind up getting? I'm still using a GTX 1060 (3GB) and want to upgrade. I think I'm going to hold off until next year since newer cards are coming and that means cheaper prices on the cards I'm looking at. 

1. RTX 2070 Super

I'm just so undecided. But hopefully next year everything works out how I need it to so I can install some RGB Ram and possibly liquid cooling in my case.

I built a budget rig about 2 years ago with a 1050ti. Running it with a i5 7700 and 16gb of RAM.

I primarily play Rocket League so I'm getting the full 144 on that, but trying to play any new multiplayer game with the boys stretches my GPU (and my processor) to the limits. Dont know if overclocking the card would help much, dont really have any experience with doing that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im considering getting a new PC soon.  Not sure if Im going to attempt to build one or buy another from Cyberpower PC.  Probably going to spend between 1500 and 2500.  Still contemplating what I want.

Definitely build. Even if you have to pay someone local to actually put it together for you if you're not comfortable with doing that. You will be able to build a much better PC for your money than what you could buy out of the box. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

I built a budget rig about 2 years ago with a 1050ti. Running it with a i5 7700 and 16gb of RAM.

I primarily play Rocket League so I'm getting the full 144 on that, but trying to play any new multiplayer game with the boys stretches my GPU (and my processor) to the limits. Dont know if overclocking the card would help much, dont really have any experience with doing that

I think if you overclocked the card your gains would be minimum, imo. Whatever you do next, just make sure your GPU is mid-range or higher. I've learned that the hard way, lol.

On 12/13/2019 at 2:06 PM, Cheesehawk said:

Anyone who may be upgrading their GPU in the near future, let me know what you're swapping out. I need to upgrade this 1050ti and am looking for a good deal.

Depends on what your build and budget is. The 1660ti are supposed to be pretty damn decent for the price.

19 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If your a true gamer then build one. It's one of the most satisfying experiences. I built mine for around 1400 and there is nothing I cant play while multitasking on the desktop. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

1. RTX 2070 Super

It's not just a budget card, There is nothing on the market the 2060 Super has trouble running. Anything above IMO is just overkill and wasted money. 

I have one with a Asus x570 MB, 32Ram at 3600, with a 500GB m.2 HD and to top it all off with a crown jewel I have my Ryzen 9 3900x. 

That dirty mother manhandles programs and games like Chuck Norris in Walker Texas Ranger. 

11 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

If your a true gamer then build one. It's one of the most satisfying experiences. I built mine for around 1400 and there is nothing I cant play while multitasking on the desktop. 

Ive built computers before, but its been a long time and I dont have as much time as I used to.   Also, Im not as big of a gamer as I used to be, but Id like to have a PC that allows me to game if the mood strikes me.     I wanted to get into games with PC mods, so thats part of the reason I am interested.

Ive heard alot lately about how AMD is better than NVidia, at least in regards to processors.   AMD also seems cheaper.   Ive always been a NVidia guy, but I might roll with AMD.

How about graphics cards?    I saw the suggestions above, so I might look into them.   

11 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

It's not just a budget card, There is nothing on the market the 2060 Super has trouble running. Anything above IMO is just overkill and wasted money. 

I have one with a Asus x570 MB, 32Ram at 3600, with a 500GB m.2 HD and to top it all off with a crown jewel I have my Ryzen 9 3900x. 

That dirty mother manhandles programs and games like Chuck Norris in Walker Texas Ranger. 

I was originally leaning towards the 2060 super, but then that 5700xt happened and EVERYONE is going nuts about it since better drivers came for it.  I just want to make sure whatever I get is viable for the future.

My 1060 is cool, but it gets to max load on a game like Apex at medium settings. So I dont wanna cheap out or make the wrong decision. And that card isn't even 3 years old yet, or barely rather,  lol.

I'm just gonna hold off till next year and see what deals will be around since nvidia will release the 3000 series. Might can get a 2070 in meal deal prices!

2 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I was originally leaning towards the 2060 super, but then that 5700xt happened and EVERYONE is going nuts about it since better drivers came for it.  I just want to make sure whatever I get is viable for the future.

My 1060 is cool, but it gets to max load on a game like Apex at medium settings. So I dont wanna cheap out or make the wrong decision. And that card isn't even 3 years old yet, or barely rather,  lol.

I'm just gonna hold off till next year and see what deals will be around since nvidia will release the 3000 series. Might can get a 2070 in meal deal prices!

Before my 2060 Super I had a 960 GTX I was using for like 5 years. Unless you plan on having the best refresh rate possible with MW which would mean you would also need a gaming monitor. I would stick with one of the Supers. You really cant go wrong with it, I've been playing through Ark, NMS, Conan, and Modern Warfare with no hiccups. You can always get a better gpu later if you need to. But a super with plenty of Ram and a 3rd Gen Ryzen processor makes life so much more enjoyable. I would French kiss my Ryzen 9 if it had a mouth. 

• Like 1

Ive built computers before, but its been a long time and I dont have as much time as I used to.   Also, Im not as big of a gamer as I used to be, but Id like to have a PC that allows me to game if the mood strikes me.     I wanted to get into games with PC mods, so thats part of the reason I am interested.

Ive heard alot lately about how AMD is better than NVidia, at least in regards to processors.   AMD also seems cheaper.   Ive always been a NVidia guy, but I might roll with AMD.

How about graphics cards?    I saw the suggestions above, so I might look into them.   

You said your budget is 1500 to 2500? If you get anything above 2060 you're gonna have to look into CPU cooling system so keep that in mind. But if you dont mind the cost the go ahead and get one and go wild. You can build yourself a near elite CPU with around 1800

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You said your budget is 1500 to 2500? If you get anything above 2060 you're gonna have to look into CPU cooling system so keep that in mind. But if you dont mind the cost the go ahead and get one and go wild. You can build yourself a near elite CPU with around 1800

Thanks for the info.   

I dont know how much Im going to spend.   $1500 to $2500 was just a ballpark based on what I want and what Im willing to pay.      Im not really looking to spend over $2000, but I wouldnt completely rule it out.     

Im probably not going to get a new PC (or build) until at least March, but Im just weighing my options at this point and doing some research.     My computer is over 7 years old now, and I was thinking about just upgrading, but I figure it might just be better to get a completely new rig at this point.

Thanks for the info.   

I dont know how much Im going to spend.   $1500 to $2500 was just a ballpark based on what I want and what Im willing to pay.      Im not really looking to spend over $2000, but I wouldnt completely rule it out.     

Im probably not going to get a new PC (or build) until at least March, but Im just weighing my options at this point and doing some research.     My computer is over 7 years old now, and I was thinking about just upgrading, but I figure it might just be better to get a completely new rig at this point.

Well just for the hell of it I wanted to do my own stress test on mine aside from the normal ones you can find online. I had open over 120 tabs in chrome no less that loves to gobble up memory. 22 of them were youtube videos, also had a virtual desktop open with OS Linux Mint, and I was screwing around on Ark:Survival evolved. No problems with and it was still running smoothly. 

It's worth building a new rig with the 3rd gen Ryzens. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Before my 2060 Super I had a 960 GTX I was using for like 5 years. Unless you plan on having the best refresh rate possible with MW which would mean you would also need a gaming monitor. I would stick with one of the Supers. You really cant go wrong with it, I've been playing through Ark, NMS, Conan, and Modern Warfare with no hiccups. You can always get a better gpu later if you need to. But a super with plenty of Ram and a 3rd Gen Ryzen processor makes life so much more enjoyable. I would French kiss my Ryzen 9 if it had a mouth. 

I already have a gaming monitor 144hz Acer with 1ms response time. My initial choice was the 2060 Super, but like I said I'll wait and see what the new year brings since a ton of stuff is supposed to release. Crazy that we're closed to Ryzen 4000 in a year or so, too!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...