PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

On 12/15/2019 at 1:05 PM, Calvert28 said:

You said your budget is 1500 to 2500? If you get anything above 2060 you're gonna have to look into CPU cooling system so keep that in mind. But if you dont mind the cost the go ahead and get one and go wild. You can build yourself a near elite CPU with around 1800

This makes no sense. You don't need to upgrade your CPU cooler because of an upgraded GPU.

@FourThreeMafia are you still looking to build something? Do you already have a capable gaming monitor? I think a lot of builders neglect that cost too. No point in buying a good fancy graphics card unless you've got a monitor worth displaying something on. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

This makes no sense. You don't need to upgrade your CPU cooler because of an upgraded GPU.

Depending on your card yes you do. Some come with a built in cooling unit but it still requires a water cooling system in order to operate effectively. 

41 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Depending on your card yes you do. Some come with a built in cooling unit but it still requires a water cooling system in order to operate effectively. 

?????

No. That's not true at all. CPU and GPU are different components have their own cooling. Chanigng your GPU never requires changing your CPU cooler, unless the aesthetics of your new card don't match that of your existing CPU cooler. 

Edited by skywindO2

3 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

?????

No. That's not true at all. CPU and GPU are different components have their own cooling. Chanigng your GPU never requires changing your CPU cooler, unless the aesthetics of your new card don't match that of your existing CPU cooler. 

I didnt say it requires a change. I said if you want to run a top tier graphics card like a 2080 ti you pretty much have to have a water cooling system. Or else you run the risk of burning your card alive until it dies on you. Granted there have been improvements in the fan cooling but its ideal that you spend the extra cash for a system that runs a card like that.

36 minutes ago, showtime said:

That monitor is pointless for gaming.  120hz or 144hz is more than good enough.  360hz?  Lol.

It's just another gimmick. Probably runs at 1080p for extra effects. I just want it to get here to drive the 1440p monitors down. :D I'm good at 144hz personally.

I'm just ready for this Ryzen press conference at 5pm! (EST, the only time of course, lmao)

On 1/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, skywindO2 said:

@FourThreeMafia are you still looking to build something? Do you already have a capable gaming monitor? I think a lot of builders neglect that cost too. No point in buying a good fancy graphics card unless you've got a monitor worth displaying something on. 

I have a good monitor.  Not top end, but still good.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I have a good monitor.  Not top end, but still good.

With what your PC budget is, it'd be best if your monitor is 1440p or 144hz, or ideally both. For that kind of money if you have a really nice 1080p 60hz monitor, you're still kind of driving a sports car at speed limits. I've been using a 1440p 144hz monitor for a few months now, big thumbs up. Also depends on what games you want to play. IIRC you're not much of a esports online competitive gamer, so if I were you I'd aim for higher res before higher refresh rate. Both are good, but new games at higher res probably won't push you frame rate that high. Older games on the other hand will be amazing at high res and high FPS. Currently playing Witcher 3 all maxed with max FPS all the time. If you're looking more to play stuff online competitively, refresh rate is far more important. Either way, if your monitor is 1080p@60hz, highly recommend upgrading. Keep the current one for a dual monitor setup.

22 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I didnt say it requires a change. I said if you want to run a top tier graphics card like a 2080 ti you pretty much have to have a water cooling system. Or else you run the risk of burning your card alive until it dies on you. Granted there have been improvements in the fan cooling but its ideal that you spend the extra cash for a system that runs a card like that.

I never heard of anyone burning their card unless they irresponsibly OC.

Edited by Mossburg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

With what your PC budget is, it'd be best if your monitor is 1440p or 144hz, or ideally both. For that kind of money if you have a really nice 1080p 60hz monitor, you're still kind of driving a sports car at speed limits. I've been using a 1440p 144hz monitor for a few months now, big thumbs up. Also depends on what games you want to play. IIRC you're not much of a esports online competitive gamer, so if I were you I'd aim for higher res before higher refresh rate. Both are good, but new games at higher res probably won't push you frame rate that high. Older games on the other hand will be amazing at high res and high FPS. Currently playing Witcher 3 all maxed with max FPS all the time. If you're looking more to play stuff online competitively, refresh rate is far more important. Either way, if your monitor is 1080p@60hz, highly recommend upgrading. Keep the current one for a dual monitor setup.

I never heard of anyone burning their card unless they irresponsibly OC.

Well, fact is I dont game much any more, and I hardly ever play online.   Ive been trying to get back into gaming, but I havent been able to, either due to time or desire.   

Im questioning whether or not I even want to build a new PC, at least right now.    I feel like Id be upgrading simply for the sake of upgrading IN CASE I want to get into gaming, and for the fact that my hardware is pretty outdated.   Still, my computer still does everything I need it to at a high level.   I just cant really play any newer triple A games on it..    

I will certainly consider your advice if/when I do decide to upgrade, but it might not be as soon as I let on.     As I am getting older, Im not as impulsive with my money as I used to be.   :D

• 2 months later...

Ive pretty much decided to build my own PC.   Im still deciding on parts, but right now, Im bouncing between a Ryzen 7 or 9.   7 should be more than powerful enough, but its just about another $100 for the 9.

Im taking my time and probably wont start doing anything until at least June, but I may need some advice here and there.

15 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Ive pretty much decided to build my own PC.   Im still deciding on parts, but right now, Im bouncing between a Ryzen 7 or 9.   7 should be more than powerful enough, but its just about another $100 for the 9.

Im taking my time and probably wont start doing anything until at least June, but I may need some advice here and there.

This should give you plenty of help to see which are the best deals for top performance on your budget.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If you're willing to wait until June, I'd probably advise you wait just a little bit longer than that. NVIDIA is announcing their new cards (3060/3070/3080) this year. Some people are saying they'll release early Summer, others are saying it might be around September. There are obviously a ton of rumors swirling about how much better they are compared to current gen, but even if you weren't interested in them, the 2000 series will undoubtedly become much cheaper.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

If you're willing to wait until June, I'd probably advise you wait just a little bit longer than that. NVIDIA is announcing their new cards (3060/3070/3080) this year. Some people are saying they'll release early Summer, others are saying it might be around September. There are obviously a ton of rumors swirling about how much better they are compared to current gen, but even if you weren't interested in them, the 2000 series will undoubtedly become much cheaper.

Also try and wait out the memory prices if ya can.