PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I was more curious about why you said "wait them out".    Are they supposed to go down?

11 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

A lot of PC component prices have spiked as of late, likely due to a lapse in production/shipping from China.

This lol. I often forget people don't have access to my brain so more info is needed. 

• Like 1

Bored, so I went through PCPartPicker and made two different builds I am considering...

1500-PC.png

Also considering just going with a Ryzen 5 with this build, which would knock off another $100 or so.

2000-PC.png

I am leaning towards the first one.    Not so much due to price as much as it is that I will still likely split time between PC and console. and Im not really a hardcore gamer.      My main reason for wanting a good gaming PC is because Im interested in mods and perhaps, at some point, looking for an MMO to get into.

The 2nd system is more if I decide to somewhat "future proof" my machine, but Ive heard many hardcore tech guys advise against that.

Any thoughts?   

38 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Bored, so I went through PCPartPicker and made two different builds I am considering...

1500-PC.png

Also considering just going with a Ryzen 5 with this build, which would knock off another $100 or so.

2000-PC.png

I am leaning towards the first one.    Not so much due to price as much as it is that I will still likely split time between PC and console. and Im not really a hardcore gamer.      My main reason for wanting a good gaming PC is because Im interested in mods and perhaps, at some point, looking for an MMO to get into.

The 2nd system is more if I decide to somewhat "future proof" my machine, but Ive heard many hardcore tech guys advise against that.

Any thoughts?   

Ok no.1 you don't need a new windows 10 key if you already have one. It transfer across computers and even then you can just download windows 10 and it will let you use it for free because Microsoft doesn't give a **** they'll make money off you either way.

Second note, for the second build if you've dealt with liquid cooling before go for it but I'll be honest with you every time I've handled a case with liquid cooling it's a pain in the ***.  Granted that's been maybe 5 rigs total but still. (Only one was mine, couple were friends and clients)

Other than that always check comparability between motherboards and parts and always go for a bigger case if possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Ok no.1 you don't need a new windows 10 key if you already have one. It transfer across computers and even then you can just download windows 10 and it will let you use it for free because Microsoft doesn't give a **** they'll make money off you either way.

Second note, for the second build if you've dealt with liquid cooling before go for it but I'll be honest with you every time I've handled a case with liquid cooling it's a pain in the ***.  Granted that's been maybe 5 rigs total but still. (Only one was mine, couple were friends and clients)

Other than that always check comparability between motherboards and parts and always go for a bigger case if possible.

I do not have Windows 10.  I have Windows 7, which Id stick with if they didnt stop supporting it.

Never dealt with liquid cooling before, but isnt it needed for more intense gaming rigs?  Not sure if that one NEEDS it or not, though.

The only possible compatibility issue is the B450 chipset and the Ryzen CPU, which can fixed with a BIOS update, from what Ive read.    

34 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I do not have Windows 10.  I have Windows 7, which Id stick with if they didnt stop supporting it.

Never dealt with liquid cooling before, but isnt it needed for more intense gaming rigs?  Not sure if that one NEEDS it or not, though.

The only possible compatibility issue is the B450 chipset and the Ryzen CPU, which can fixed with a BIOS update, from what Ive read.    

Watercooling is never necessary in 2020 unless you're seriously overclocking (and even then, there's debate as to it's worth). Any standard GPU/CPU shouldn't need anything more than a basic fan. Here's a good video on the matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vjWtUpItk

Edited by elevators_rule
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

Watercooling is never necessary in 2020 unless you're seriously overclocking (and even then, there's debate as to it's worth). Any standard GPU/CPU shouldn't need anything more than a basic fan. Here's a good video on the matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vjWtUpItk

Thanks for the info.

I dont know much about overclocking, even though I hear the term used alot.

I've been doing research and it just seemed like at a certain point, people started using liquid cooling...just wasnt sure what that point was.   ^_^

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Thanks for the info.

I've been doing research and it just seemed like at a certain point, people started using liquid cooling...just wasnt sure what that point was.   ^_^

Liquid cooling is a better form of cooling.

But it's also a massive pain in the *** and if you screw up....Well congrats your entire motherboard probably just shorted. 

It's mostly a status thing/I've already spent $3,000 why not go for the best cooling. 

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Eh get a windows 10 key then. Doesn't hurt to have an official version for support reasons, also agreed on windows 7 but it is unsupported and that's a massive deathflag for all programs sadly, including drivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Thanks for the info.

Question, that M.2 you're getting is that a PCIe or a sata?

8 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Question, that M.2 you're getting is that a PCIe or a sata?

PCie.

Im probably going to wait.  Everything Ive read has said try waiting until the end of the year due to numerous factors, but a lot could change due to COVID repercussions.

I really want to get it started, though.

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

PCie.

Im probably going to wait.  Everything Ive read has said try waiting until the end of the year due to numerous factors, but a lot could change due to COVID repercussions.

I really want to get it started, though.

I dont blame you. Im still paying off mine but im an essential worker so I have to go to work so I at least have more money coming in.

53 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I dont blame you. Im still paying off mine but im an essential worker so I have to go to work so I at least have more money coming in.

I am considered essential too.  One of the benefits of working at a medical facility at this time 

Its not so much about money as it just perhaps being in my best interest to wait as far as building a great system.  I could do that now, but with new video cards coming out,  I MAY wait.  

OR, I may just get a somewhat budget GPU now, and then get a better one in 2 or 3 years.

Not sure.