PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I am considered essential too.  One of the benefits of working at a medical facility at this time 

Its not so much about money as it just perhaps being in my best interest to wait as far as building a great system.  I could do that now, but with new video cards coming out,  I MAY wait.  

OR, I may just get a somewhat budget GPU now, and then get a better one in 2 or 3 years.

Not sure.

Meh. The performance between sets are not that significant. Sure the 3900X is as much of a beast as I've ever had in a PC but it will always be outdone within the year. But with the 3900X I can use that for half a decade before I decide I may want to trade it in. I wait that long before I shut off my old PC for good which was a i5 with a 960GTX in it, all of it considered mid tier at the time.

I would just wait till a big sale goes on. Find one for a good price and then just load up, like Easter coming up or just wait till Tech Monday. That's really the best thing you can do in terms of performance and pricing. Maybe get you a Newegg financing card and a Bestbuy and Walmart one as well and then just hunt on those special days. After you load up you will have 12 months to pay them off or h/e long you can get and then just set up autopay with w/e youre comfortable with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Meh. The performance between sets are not that significant. Sure the 3900X is as much of a beast as I've ever had in a PC but it will always be outdone within the year. But with the 3900X I can use that for half a decade before I decide I may want to trade it in. I wait that long before I shut off my old PC for good which was a i5 with a 960GTX in it, all of it considered mid tier at the time.

I would just wait till a big sale goes on. Find one for a good price and then just load up, like Easter coming up or just wait till Tech Monday. That's really the best thing you can do in terms of performance and pricing. Maybe get you a Newegg financing card and a Bestbuy and Walmart one as well and then just hunt on those special days. After you load up you will have 12 months to pay them off or h/e long you can get and then just set up autopay with w/e youre comfortable with.

Thanks for the tips.

I know tech is ever evolving and that parts can be obsolete or outdated soon after you get them.    Im hung up on how much I want to "future proof" my machine.    Ill figure it out in time, and when I feel comfortable, Ill pull the trigger.   

• Like 1

Any thoughts on the Radeon RX 580?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1339792-REG/xfx_force_rx_580p8dfd6_radeon_rx_580_graphic.html

Its older, but it still seems like a pretty good card for a non-hardcore gamer like myself.    I dont have a 144mhz monitor either.  Mine is a 4k 60hz monitor.    Im not a huge online player where I guess that matters most,   Im more of a casual gamer who prefers games with stories, and plus there are alot of older games I want to play.  Based on what Ive seen, this card still runs most games really well at 1080.

My main reason for perhaps going this direction is because I wont feel so bad about upgrading in 2 years if needed, whereas if I bought a $400+ GPU NOW, I dont know if Id want to upgrade that soon, being that Im not some hardcore gamer.

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Any thoughts on the Radeon RX 580?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1339792-REG/xfx_force_rx_580p8dfd6_radeon_rx_580_graphic.html

Its older, but it still seems like a pretty good card for a non-hardcore gamer like myself.    I dont have a 144mhz monitor either.  Mine is a 4k 60hz monitor.    Im not a huge online player where I guess that matters most,   Im more of a casual gamer who prefers games with stories, and plus there are alot of older games I want to play.  Based on what Ive seen, this card still runs most games really well at 1080.

My main reason for perhaps going this direction is because I wont feel so bad about upgrading in 2 years if needed, whereas if I bought a $400+ GPU NOW, I dont know if Id want to upgrade that soon, being that Im not some hardcore gamer.

II loved this card when I had it in my older rig, not a massive beast but it was perfect for 1080p. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-580-gts-black-edition-8gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/6092641.p?skuId=6092641 - Here's a bestbuy listing with 3 months free of gamepass for PC. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-580-gts-xxx-edition-8gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/6136515.p?skuId=6136515 - The XXX edition with gamepass as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

II loved this card when I had it in my older rig, not a massive beast but it was perfect for 1080p. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-580-gts-black-edition-8gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/6092641.p?skuId=6092641 - Here's a bestbuy listing with 3 months free of gamepass for PC. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-580-gts-xxx-edition-8gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/6136515.p?skuId=6136515 - The XXX edition with gamepass as well. 

Sounds good for me, and I could easily upgrade in a couple years.

• Like 1

Are the AMD GPU driver issues legit or overblown?

I keep seeing mixed reviews for their cards, and most of the negatives are about their drivers.

Might have to lean NVidia, even if they are pricier.

Just got a pre-built last week (don't yell at me). First gaming computer I've ever had. On the lower end of specs - i5 9400 and Radeon 5600xt. Got a new 165hz 24" monitor too, will only be running 1080p on this obviously. 

I played Planet Zoo for about 20 hours this weekend. Felt like a kid playing Zoo Tycoon 

Will mostly be playing CS:GO, Valorant with some Cities Skyline and other sim games

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I keep seeing mixed reviews for their cards, and most of the negatives are about their drivers.

I've never had a major issue with the two GPUS I've had from AMD. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Just got a pre-built last week (don't yell at me). First gaming computer I've ever had. On the lower end of specs - i5 9400 and Radeon 5600xt. Got a new 165hz 24" monitor too, will only be running 1080p on this obviously. 

I played Planet Zoo for about 20 hours this weekend. Felt like a kid playing Zoo Tycoon 

Will mostly be playing CS:GO, Valorant with some Cities Skyline and other sim games

Cities Skyline is a good one. My brother got it on PS4, I liked it but traffic annoyed the hell out of me. I got it on PC now and mods make this game really fun.

4 hours ago, Neumatic said:

Cities Skyline is a good one. My brother got it on PS4, I liked it but traffic annoyed the hell out of me. I got it on PC now and mods make this game really fun.

Yeah its fun. Impossible to play on controller after you've played on pc. The mods make it so much better 

On 4/13/2020 at 12:07 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

I'm on the fence about the AMD Driver issues. A few technical sites I use, I do see a few AMD issues on the 5700XT GPUs. Not so much on the older GPUs like the 480s, 580s, etc. It kinda scared me away from getting an AMD GPU as a upgrade from my nVidia 1060. I'm glad it happened, though, as I'm now waiting for both the new GPU series Amphere and Big Navi from both companies respectively. But to answer your question, in my opinion its 50/50. I see a lot of non-issues and issues. Just depend on who you asked that particular day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

I'm on the fence about the AMD Driver issues. A few technical sites I use, I do see a few AMD issues on the 5700XT GPUs. Not so much on the older GPUs like the 480s, 580s, etc. It kinda scared me away from getting an AMD GPU as a upgrade from my nVidia 1060. I'm glad it happened, though, as I'm now waiting for both the new GPU series Amphere and Big Navi from both companies respectively. But to answer your question, in my opinion its 50/50. I see a lot of non-issues and issues. Just depend on who you asked that particular day.

Ha...thanks.   Thats pretty much the same experience Ive had when exploring the issue.   Thats why I asked on here to see if anyone had any direct experience.

Even though Ive heard good things about the AMD 5700 when its working and its cheaper relative to their NVidia counterparts, I may just end up going with a NVdia, even if its more expensive.

Just depends when I decide to pull the trigger on building my new rig.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Ha...thanks.   Thats pretty much the same experience Ive had when exploring the issue.   Thats why I asked on here to see if anyone had any direct experience.

Even though Ive heard good things about the AMD 5700 when its working and its cheaper relative to their NVidia counterparts, I may just end up going with a NVdia, even if its more expensive.

Just depends when I decide to pull the trigger on building my new rig.  

I feel you on that. As an nVidia card owner, I've never had a problem with my 1060 and I've had it since '17. I will tell you to wait on building a new rig at the moment with the prices being absurd because of this goofy virus and house arrest. Prices should even out a little later in the year. But I know what you mean as I was this close to buying a 5700XT earlier this week because of the promotion of getting Resident Evil 3, Monster Hunter and 3 months of game pass for free. So tempting but I'll use my Spartan Reserve. :/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RavensfanRD said:

I feel you on that. As an nVidia card owner, I've never had a problem with my 1060 and I've had it since '17. I will tell you to wait on building a new rig at the moment with the prices being absurd because of this goofy virus and house arrest. Prices should even out a little later in the year. But I know what you mean as I was this close to buying a 5700XT earlier this week because of the promotion of getting Resident Evil 3, Monster Hunter and 3 months of game pass for free. So tempting but I'll use my Spartan Reserve. :/

To be honest, I think alot of people are using their stimulus checks on getting graphics cards/computer components.     

Alot of graphics cards have been selling out the last few days and are out of stock most places.    

Thats a good things from my standpoint, because it makes my decision to wait a little easier.   Im really eager to build a new computer, but probably best to wait towards the end of the year.

• Like 1