PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

On 4/16/2020 at 7:09 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

To be honest, I think alot of people are using their stimulus checks on getting graphics cards/computer components.     

Alot of graphics cards have been selling out the last few days and are out of stock most places.    

Thats a good things from my standpoint, because it makes my decision to wait a little easier.   Im really eager to build a new computer, but probably best to wait towards the end of the year.

Yeah, I understand. I'm really excited for the announcement of the Ryzen 4000 series. I plan to upgrade then when its announced later on this year. I kinda feel bad doing that since I bought a Ryzen 5 2600 at launch and that isn't even a full 2 years old yet. But I'm doing it. icon_lol.gif

• Like 1

I think I'm going to use my current computer case in my new build. Still in good condition and there's plenty of room inside, as it is a larger mid-size Tower.

On another note, I discovered I had another 1 terabyte hard drive in my computer that I never used, because it was never hooked up. Had the damn thing  for almost 8 years now and never realized it was in there until today.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I think I'm going to use my current computer case in my new build. Still in good condition and there's plenty of room inside, as it is a larger mid-size Tower.

On another note, I discovered I had another 1 terabyte hard drive in my computer that I never used, because it was never hooked up. Had the damn thing  for almost 8 years now and never realized it was in there until today.

........When was the last time you opened your tower? 

17 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

........When was the last time you opened your tower? 

Last year.

The hard drive was mounted snugly underneath by disc drive and never really noticed it, especially since it wasnt hooked up with any wired.

I was going over my old invoice when I ordered it (Sept 2012) and it said it came with 2 hard drives.  I looked for it and found it.      I had to disconnect one of my disc drives to plug it in, but I dont use it anyway.   

• Like 1

Gonna finally get a PC.  I was tempted to buy a pre-build, but think I'm just gonna go with building my own.  I'll probably post my build from pcpartpicker here in case anyone has any advice!

Leaning towards the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600x for my CPU

7 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Gonna finally get a PC.  I was tempted to buy a pre-build, but think I'm just gonna go with building my own.  I'll probably post my build from pcpartpicker here in case anyone has any advice!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/duckscanflytoo/saved/#view=3ptRTW

On 4/18/2020 at 6:29 AM, RavensfanRD said:

Yeah, I understand. I'm really excited for the announcement of the Ryzen 4000 series. I plan to upgrade then when its announced later on this year. I kinda feel bad doing that since I bought a Ryzen 5 2600 at launch and that isn't even a full 2 years old yet. But I'm doing it. icon_lol.gif

They made such an easy upgrade path to squeeze money out of people like you! 

On 4/26/2020 at 9:30 AM, iknowcool said:

What are they going for these days? At launch, basically every reviewer agreed that the performance boost from the X version wasn't worth the additional cost. 

So, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my parts.   I went with a more "bargain" build than I originally planned, but after doing research, this should be plenty for me for the the foreseeable future.   

XpIHzWi.png

I figure in a 2-3 years, I will update my graphics card if need be.     This should handle games fine at 1080 Ultra and some 1440p at 60FPS,   My monitor is fairly new and is only 60mhz, so I dont feel like buying a new one right now.   Beyond that, I dont really play online shooter types, and Ive heard thats when FPS is most crucial.   For the single player games I play,  this should be suffice for a few years.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

So, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my parts.   I went with a more "bargain" build than I originally planned, but after doing research, this should be plenty for me for the the foreseeable future.   

XpIHzWi.png

I figure in a 2-3 years, I will update my graphics card if need be.     This should handle games fine at 1080 Ultra and some 1440p at 60FPS,   My monitor is fairly new and is only 60mhz, so I dont feel like buying a new one right now.   Beyond that, I dont really play online shooter types, and Ive heard thats when FPS is most crucial.   For the single player games I play,  this should be suffice for a few years.

You didn't buy anything with a "Gamer" brand. I'm proud. 

• Like 1

Well this is just great... Bought a new 2TB m.2 drive for my laptop to replace the 256GB it came with and something went wrong when I went to switch it out and now my screen won't work.

Everything else works fine and I can still use it perfectly if I hook it up to an external display via HDMI but for some reason the laptop screen seems to be dead.

And just my luck the Asus phone help lines are shut down due to the virus... And when I go to see if it's still under warranty it says my laptop is under warranty until "undefined"... Ok... So I go to fill out an RMA request and it says there is already an RMA request for my laptop...WTH Asus!

Just now, rob_shadows said:

Both the Xbox one controller and the dual shock 4 work on pc.

In my experience the xbone controller works better though.

I heard XBox controllers were good.  Thats what I'm leaning towards.