PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

1 hour ago, burlow said:

Civ VI, worth it?  Looking at the steam sell and it is on discount.  I played a lot of civ 4 and a little civ 5.  I also have a couple kids that I might introduce a more complex game to, they are 7 and 9... so, any civ warriors out there?

For half off I'd say it's worth it...it's not perfect...and I do have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it, but I play it quite a bit so obviously I can't complain too much. 

If you do go for it definitely pay the extra $10 for the digital deluxe version though so you get all current and future DLC (there are already several DLC civs)

• 3 weeks later...

Believe my video card is dead, this morning was on browsing emails and all the sudden video cut out, fans stopped, and LED went out on the side of my 1080.  Removed the card, plugged into my onboard video (i7 4770k), and didn't get standard boot up, but got some sort of video color calibration test.  Any ideas what that might suggest?  I'm going to throw an old quadro k4000 i have lying around in the machine when I get home from work to test to see if its the card or something else.

9 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Wait so on-board video can't get to BIOS?

I didn't try to be honest, I had to do some very basic troubleshooting right before I left for work this morning just so I could figure out if I should start the RMA process with EVGA or not.  I do not recall it making to POST, so it could potentially be a motherboard issue.

Well the GPU completely shut off and everything else was still operating as I would have expected at least based on the physical appearance of the machine.  All other fans were running properly, motherboard error code readout didn't change, so that is what led me to the conclusion that it was a video card problem.  I didn't have enough time to further troubleshoot, so I'll spend some more time on it in an hour

6 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

What will give better performance for the price? 

(1) GTX 1080 Ti (11 GB, 1.57 GHz) - $767

or

(2) SLI GTX 1070 (8 GB, 1.53 GHz) - $845

Better theoretical performance is the 1070 in SLI.  In practicality, SLI is often not supported or can be jittery.  

Buy the best single card you can now, you'll bet the most consistent experience.  

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

Better theoretical performance is the 1070 in SLI.  In practicality, SLI is often not supported or can be jittery.  

Buy the best single card you can now, you'll bet the most consistent experience.  

This...if you can afford a GTX 1080 Ti just get that (unless you feel like waiting til the new architecture in 2018)

27 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I would definitely not spring $800 for a top of the line card when new cards are about to come out. Anyone who bought the 980ti right before the 1000 series was basically duped out of like $400.

I agree with you, but that's not necessarily true.  I needed an upgrade, and knew those were coming soon, and bought an EVGA 980ti, then used the EVGA step up program to switch to the 1080 a month or so later when it was released.  Only works with EVGA as far as I know, and you definitely need to time it right