PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

I agree with you, but that's not necessarily true.  I needed an upgrade, and knew those were coming soon, and bought an EVGA 980ti, then used the EVGA step up program to switch to the 1080 a month or so later when it was released.  Only works with EVGA as far as I know, and you definitely need to time it right 

I was alluding more to having the option to purchase a 1070 which slightly outperforms the 980ti for half the price, which is what I would have went with. If the B-level card of the new gen is another monster, that might be the one to get if you're looking for best value.

I bought a 1440p, 144Hz G-Sync monitor, but laptop just can't power it effectively so I want to build a gaming/media PC. 

1. What level of graphics card do I actually need to run games at 120-144 FPS on high settings with 1440p resolution? Do I need a 1080 Ti, or will a 1060/1070 be fine? I also want the future ability to play 4k videos at 60 FPS. 

2. When are the next gen graphics cards set to be released?

3. What is the best motherboard chipset for this sort of build?

4. Is there any real difference between an i5 and an i7 if you aren't using the integrated graphics?

Depends on the games. Valve's games and older games you should be able to run at well over 100FPS at 1440p with a 1080ti, maybe even a 1070.

Basically all of your questions will be answered by doing a Google search of benchmarks for video cards. There are a ton of benchmark results running various games at various resolutions comparing various cards that will give you a good idea what kind of frame rate to expect.

I believe new Nvidia cards are expected in the first quarter of 2018

Edited by Mossburg
  • Like 1

What would you guys prioritize first, a newer graphics card (I have a 970) or a new monitor (want to get atleast a 1080 144, if not 1440 144).

Right now, with new other things, my 970 is running all the games I have at 60 (except Witcher 3 with hair graphics lol) so it's not a huge rush, but it will definitely be my next internal buy. I also want to get a 144 monitor sooner or later, Im obsessed with dem frames lol

9 minutes ago, HighHopes said:

What would you guys prioritize first, a newer graphics card (I have a 970) or a new monitor (want to get atleast a 1080 144, if not 1440 144).

Right now, with new other things, my 970 is running all the games I have at 60 (except Witcher 3 with hair graphics lol) so it's not a huge rush, but it will definitely be my next internal buy. I also want to get a 144 monitor sooner or later, Im obsessed with dem frames lol

Get the monitor first.  By the time you save up for the graphics card there will be A) newer and better graphics cards out, and B) the graphics card you currently want will have dropped in price.  

I'd say it also depends how much you're willing to drop on the monitor. Seems like there are good new ones coming out all the time. If you want a 1440p with 144hz, which is gonna cost you a decent amount, I'd research to see what's on the horizon (I really don't know I just see cool monitors I didn't know about all the time). If you are ok with 1080p 144hz there are good options under $300 and I'd just buy that now.

As far as cards go, for sure wait until new nvidia series comes out early next year.

Edited by Mossburg

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I've not had time to game in quite a while, but see myself having more time on the horizon.  Haven't even had a chance to stay up to date with the latest in games coming out.  Anyone have any recommendations of things released in the last year or things to look forward to?

Nier Automata is a must play. Monster hunter world when that hits PC in mid 2018 and a few other things I can't remember  off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

I've not had time to game in quite a while, but see myself having more time on the horizon.  Haven't even had a chance to stay up to date with the latest in games coming out.  Anyone have any recommendations of things released in the last year or things to look forward to?

These are the games I'm looking forwards to, mostly because it will have co-op so they may not apply to you lol.

Monster Hunter, Ni No Kuni 2, Far Cry 5, and A Way Out. I will also recommend Divinity: Original Sin (and it's sequel). Can be singleplayer, but recommended you play co-op.

• Like 1

Maybe you guys can give me some advice.. pretty much always been a console peasant but I'm about to start building my first PC. I don't need anything crazy. Just looking for a good value PC that I can upgrade over the years. This is what I'm currently looking at. Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated as I am a straight noob to this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jYFgd6

Edited by packerrfan74

4 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Maybe you guys can give me some advice.. pretty much always been a console peasant but I'm about to start building my first PC. I don't need anything crazy. Just looking for a good value PC that I can upgrade over the years. This is what I'm currently looking at. Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated as I am a straight noob to this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jYFgd6

What are you trying to play? The build you have here is fine, but I would highly recommend getting a better processor if you can afford it, will really help the performance.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-8400-Coffee-LGA1151-BX80684I58400/dp/B0759FGJ3Q

That is about $100 more but you get six cores(not multi-threaded) and it would perform a lot better. Maybe skip the SSD and just get a HD to save some money in order to get the better processor now, you can always just install a SSD later, but replacing a CPU is more costly cause your old one becomes useless.