PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

6 hours ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

Just ordered a GTX 1070 off Ebay for $230. I'm really stoked. The best GPU I've ever had. Even if it's now outdated. It will run Division 2, Blackout, Cyberpunk 2077 a lot better than the Rx 570. 

Thats a great deal. Once I'm done fighting this hurricane I'll see if I can upgrade my gpu or replace my roof.

Left my computer behind in Vietnam to build a brand new one here in the States. Have my preliminary build built around a i7 8700 and a Rog Strix 1080ti. I know the 2080s are just about to be released, but I hesitant to buy into a first run [especially at 1000-1400$].

btw, this build is specifically for Cyberpunk 2077 and Total War: Three Kingdoms.

• 4 weeks later...

About to build me another budget PC. Looking at buying Ryzen 5 Q 2'18 version with a new mobo. I might spend $200 and get the Ryzen 7 1800x from Q 1 of '17. Undecided. Any help?

And one more side question. With the current PC I'm using now, I have Win10 install when my cousin had a disc. Apparently, the OS wasn't activated with a genuine key and I need to activate one or buy Win10. I see a store online called keystoreonline.com is selling keys. Anyone ever heard or used this site before? Is it trustworthy? I don't mine spening $40 instead of $140 if I don't have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

You gonna build the case from scratch?

Nah, that was just a friend's video and I thought it was interesting. I don't know how soon I'd do it but I did just buy a new SSD(120 GB to 500 is a huge jump). While it's not a super labor intensive change, I'm not looking forward to swapping it out and reformatting. I'd rather change a lot more if I do that. 

13 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Nah, that was just a friend's video and I thought it was interesting. I don't know how soon I'd do it but I did just buy a new SSD(120 GB to 500 is a huge jump). While it's not a super labor intensive change, I'm not looking forward to swapping it out and reformatting. I'd rather change a lot more if I do that. 

I'm kinda getting an itch myself. Really want to build a Ryzen PC. I have a hard time justifying it though because I still get far more than satisfactory performance on basically anything I run in 1080 or 1440 on my 4 or whatever year old rig.

33 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I'm kinda getting an itch myself. Really want to build a Ryzen PC. I have a hard time justifying it though because I still get far more than satisfactory performance on basically anything I run in 1080 or 1440 on my 4 or whatever year old rig.

I definitely don't need anything since I mostly only play Stardew Valley and Nancy Drew games lately. I played a little bit of Destiny on PC and it looked and ran great although not sure if that's a great benchmark to pass. 

There's just little things I want. I'd like a new case since the one of my front side USB ports broke and I've had connection problems with the other. I don't like my headphone jacks either. I need to look at exactly what I have and what I'd be able to resuse if I were to build something, also maybe who I could pawn an old PC off to if I can leave it in a functional state.

At the risk of starting a debate, I've always been an Intel person. I'm leaning toward AMD for my next processor, anything to know about there?

Just now, skywindO2 said:

I definitely don't need anything since I mostly only play Stardew Valley and Nancy Drew games lately. I played a little bit of Destiny on PC and it looked and ran great although not sure if that's a great benchmark to pass. 

There's just little things I want. I'd like a new case since the one of my front side USB ports broke and I've had connection problems with the other. I don't like my headphone jacks either. I need to look at exactly what I have and what I'd be able to resuse if I were to build something, also maybe who I could pawn an old PC off to if I can leave it in a functional state.

At the risk of starting a debate, I've always been an Intel person. I'm leaning toward AMD for my next processor, anything to know about there?

Not much other than AMD has been eating Intel's lunch in performance per dollar by a wide margin. I suppose you're asking more of a technical question, like how will AMDs perform with Nvidia cards? If so I really don't know, my previous PC did have an AMD + Nvidia combo and it ran well, but that was a long time ago. I'd just lurk in some benchmarking sites/forums and see what people posts from actual tests. Other than that, if you know how to pick a compatible mobo, you should be all good.

Instead of working, went through old sales from the last 8 years to track down what I have. I think I found all my stuff in there but definitely questioning if it's all accurate. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XP9xmq

Didn't include storage because I'm lazy and I wouldn't buy new anyway. You can't even buy anything that I have accept my RAM but that was bought last year. 

Looking at possible cases, I really like the NZXT H500. I'm not a huge fan of windows but I'd have to be on point with cable management for if I got a windows cased which I guess is a good thing. I'm not sure when covered power supplies became a thing but I love it. 

Edited by skywindO2

Made a shopping list although the GPU is probably a placeholder, might look into something used. Probably not buying anything soon so plenty of time to watch for sales.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zhgrsZ

Tell me it's awful. 

The cooler and RAM are possible placeholders too. I'm debating adding RGB strips since the board offers color control and light sockets. In that case, I'd probably look for a cooler and ram with RGB color too. If not, I'd probably just use the stock cooler. 

Edited by skywindO2

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Made a shopping list although the GPU is probably a placeholder, might look into something used. Probably not buying anything soon so plenty of time to watch for sales.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zhgrsZ

Tell me it's awful. 

The cooler and RAM are possible placeholders too. I'm debating adding RGB strips since the board offers color control and light sockets. In that case, I'd probably look for a cooler and ram with RGB color too. If not, I'd probably just use the stock cooler. 

Maybe you like big cases or need room for a bunch of drives, but I would highly recommend the ITX case I used:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2UKGSM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Super easy to work with and has fantastic ventilation.