PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

12 hours ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

When is the best time to buy a pre-build? (~$1100)

You can't say never.

When you're just starting out.

Building your own P.C can be a hassle for a newbie so going prebuilt and teaching yourself as you upgrade over the years is pretty smart. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

Is there a time of the year when PC's tend to go on sale? Other than like Cyber Monday or Black Friday??

holiday sales or when new P.C parts come out, Nvidia is supposedly launching stuff later in september so sales might go around that. 

On 8/11/2020 at 2:36 PM, TwoUpTwoDown said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-1tb-ssd/6400453.p?skuId=6400453

I was looking into something like this, but I was thinking I would wait for a sale. Thoughts? Is that even likely?

Stuff at Best Buy randomly goes on sale, so that could happen with that PC.  What games do you want to play?

That graphics card seems to be equivalent to the rtx 2060 or 2070, so if that's true, you should be able to play essentially any game you want. 

3 hours ago, showtime said:

Stuff at Best Buy randomly goes on sale, so that could happen with that PC.  What games do you want to play?

That graphics card seems to be equivalent to the rtx 2060 or 2070, so if that's true, you should be able to play essentially any game you want. 

That's pretty much my goal. Right now I'm playing a random mix between Warzone, Fortnite, Apex, Fall Guys, Hyperscape, Overwatch, NBA 2k20, and occassionally Madden.

Would probably want to add Valorant after getting a PC.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:49 PM, skywindO2 said:

I swapped out my RGB fans for ARGB fans and now I can't stop looking a the unicorn vomit inside my case. 

We want pics or it didn't happen, Cap-Tan!

8 hours ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

That's pretty much my goal. Right now I'm playing a random mix between Warzone, Fortnite, Apex, Fall Guys, Hyperscape, Overwatch, NBA 2k20, and occassionally Madden.

You probably wanna wait for like black friday or randomly look on places like Microcenter, Best Buy (as noted) and sometimes Amazon. I'd tell you to look on fiverr and have someone local in your area help you build a PC. Use PC Partpicker and have the highly rated tech on fiverr build it for you. I'm sure you'll come out aces. Good luck on your journey!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

Yeah, that PC you linked can easily run all of those games.

• 3 weeks later...

Nvidia just announced their new GPUs. Absolutely insane tbh.

$499 for the 3070 which is faster than the $1200 2080ti from last gen.

$699 for the 3080, their new flagship. About twice as fast as a 2080.

$1499 for the 3090, which is capable of 8k, 60FPS gaming (or, more appropriately, 4k, 120FPS gaming). Obviously a steep price, but this is more so aimed at enthusiast and people using it for work.

I was really happy the Xbox/PS5 had caught up when they announced their specs, but what we're seeing from Nvidia just blows them out of the water. They also detailed some of their IO tech (and lots of talk about PCIe 4.0) that will allow worlds to load in instantly, effectively talking about the same technology Sony/Microsoft are using with their SSDs. This is great news for consumers, as it means there's a good chance 3rd party games will be more likely to design their games with such tech in mind and will thus fully be able to utilize the PS5/Xbox. Looking forward to watching it again later and also to seeing the Digital Foundry video that breaks it down.

Edited by elevators_rule
  • Like 2