PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

On 9/14/2020 at 10:23 PM, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Any reviews of Alienware computers? Are they just flashy/branding or any value to them? 

Might be able to try Youtube, I'm sure one of the tech reviewers have something up about Alienware computers. After building a PC, I always feel anything pre-built is a finesse, lol.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:42 PM, skywindO2 said:

I'm late but I'd wait for Zen 3 just cause 3600's should get some nice discounts. Personally hoping to get a 3700x when that happens. 

Microcenter had some absurd deals on the 3600 and 3700x about a month ago. At least here in Maryland, 3600 was going for $160 and the 3700x was $260. Have since then went up to $180 and $280 respectively. Should definitely go down again with the announcement of Zen 3. Can't wait till the reveal on Oct 8th.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So! Anyone looking to grab any of the new RX 6000 series cards? After watching the reveal for both Nvidia and AMD, I think I'm personally leaning towards an RX 6800 (Non-XT) for myself this holiday if stock allows. I really want the 6800XT, but I don't think I can justify $700 for a graphics card. $600 is already pushing it for me, haha. I'm still gaming at 1080p, but I believe my 1060 has fought the good fight and its time to upgrade. Will look to upgrade to either a 1440p or 4K monitor next year when we have more choices that support HDMI 2.1, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Geek said:

Finally snagged a 3080. It was the Aorus 3080 and its a bit extra for my needs but I'm well past the point of caring. I just want to play cyberpunk.

Now I must continue my watch for a 5600x. I might just cave and snag a 5800x.

Damn, wish I saw this post maybe ~4 days ago. I bought a 5600x on Amazon, but they sent me two completely by mistake. I asked them about it and they literally said to just keep it. Sold if for $300 to some random guy, but would've rather (and trusted more) to send it to someone on here :(

3 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

Damn, wish I saw this post maybe ~4 days ago. I bought a 5600x on Amazon, but they sent me two completely by mistake. I asked them about it and they literally said to just keep it. Sold if for $300 to some random guy, but would've rather (and trusted more) to send it to someone on here :(

Damn that is insanely lucky to get two of those. People out here ready to sell a kidney for Zen 3 right now.

I did end up caving and grabbing a 5800x. Now it's time to wait for some black Friday deals on RAM and monitors and I'll be ready to play. I;m so excited.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geek said:

Damn that is insanely lucky to get two of those. People out here ready to sell a kidney for Zen 3 right now.

I did end up caving and grabbing a 5800x. Now it's time to wait for some black Friday deals on RAM and monitors and I'll be ready to play. I;m so excited.

I'm in the same boat of planning on getting a 3080 and am struggling to decide which CPU to get.  I had settled on the 5600x but wondering about the "future proofing" of the 5800 or 5900.  Aside from availability, is there any reason you would have chosen the 5800 over the 5600 when taking into account price?

I've been so close a few times on snagging a 5600x off Amazon, I'm losing my mind trying to add to cart when my Hotstock notification goes off.  

25 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

I'm in the same boat of planning on getting a 3080 and am struggling to decide which CPU to get.  I had settled on the 5600x but wondering about the "future proofing" of the 5800 or 5900.  Aside from availability, is there any reason you would have chosen the 5800 over the 5600 when taking into account price?

I've been so close a few times on snagging a 5600x off Amazon, I'm losing my mind trying to add to cart when my Hotstock notification goes off.  

My main reason was availablity. 5600x is still getting sold out in less then 10 seconds every drop.

Maybe in the future 8 cores will be better since games maybe be more optimized for the new consoles but I still would have grabbed a 5600x given the chance.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 7:43 PM, Geek said:

Did you end up buying any RAM?  

On 11/24/2020 at 10:27 PM, flyers0909 said:

The biggest plus side of the 5800x is the 8 cores 16 threads. Specifically, the next-gen consoles (Series X and PS5) will be also running 8c/16t. This leads everyone to believe future games will be optimized for that specification. The 5600x is only 6c/12t. If you're worried about future proofing, getting the 8c/16t CPU (or better) is probably in your best interest.

Personally, I went with the 5600x because I think it'll be at least ~2 years for that to start mattering for PC games and I don't mind upgrading in 2-3 years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

This is such a bad time for PC part buying, feel bad for anyone looking out there.

Everything is out of stock, and on the rare occasion it comes in stock, the prices are inflated.

Yeah, it's a really interesting time because it's the best time to buy in terms of jumps in performance and competition. The newest GPUs/CPUs are seeing record breaking leaps in performance gain compared to previous generations... At the same time, like you said, stock is all time bad. Getting a new piece of hardware, even older hardware, seems almost impossible. So conflicting.

11 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

Yeah, it's a really interesting time because it's the best time to buy in terms of jumps in performance and competition. The newest GPUs/CPUs are seeing record breaking leaps in performance gain compared to previous generations... At the same time, like you said, stock is all time bad. Getting a new piece of hardware, even older hardware, seems almost impossible. So conflicting.

My cousin asked me to look into what he should get for a gaming PC for Christmas. It's frustrating that the Ryzen 5 3600 is selling out at $200+ when it went for $150 in March. At the same time, Intel doesn't look too bad. The 10400 is very comparable to the 3600 and no stock issues at $150 so I think building new right now, Intel looks like the way to go, if GPUs were in-stock at all.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 9:45 AM, flyers0909 said:

Did you end up buying any RAM?  

Not yet. I'm waiting for G.skill to drop their new trident Neo for Zen 3. I'm not in a rush because all the parts are at my house and I'm at the barracks till Christmas leave.

5 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

This is such a bad time for PC part buying, feel bad for anyone looking out there.

Everything is out of stock, and on the rare occasion it comes in stock, the prices are inflated.

You pretty much have to watch a livestream until something drops and then snag it the second you get a chance. It's pretty much the only way right now.