Week 6 TNF: Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants... We will see what this team is made of in week 6

minutemancl

The Eagles and Cowboys are 2-3 and Washington can easily be 2-2 after tomorrow's game against the Saints. The Giants offense finally broke the 30 point barrier. We should be getting Olivier Vernon back for Thursday. The Eagles do not look good. The game is at home. Most importantly, this team has a defined mentality now. Watch the Shurmur interview after this game and listen to the players comments. Whether it is actually the case or not, the Giants feel like it is them in that locker room against the world. The media is against them, the refs are against them, and the opposing team is against them. I fully expect Shurmur and co to feed into that mindset and the Giants will come out swinging on Thursday. 

Call me crazy, but I have a good feeling about Thursday. Today's loss sucked, but it showed a lot. We competed against a good team on the road and it took terrible refs, boneheaded mistakes (Odell), and a last second, nearly record breaking field goal to beat us. It's not how you start, it is how you finish. I hope Shurmur can rally the troops and get the team to harness their emotions for Thursday on a short week. 

Thursday's incredibly important divisional game will define the season.

Thoughts?

Posted this in another thread in response to a Giants fan who thought we would roll them:

All my Giants friends are saying the same thing, but I don't get it. You guys certainly shouldn't be flying high and are no doubt disappointed on the season, I get that, but all things considered you absolutely should have won today's game (longest GW kick ever)... at the very least, the fact is you pushed what looks to be a pretty good Panthers team to the limit on the road. I was watching redzone, but would you not say the Giants played one of their better games of 2018?

Meanwhile, it's a short week, now no flight means the TNF homefield advantage isn't quite as big a deal, but the short week means neither team can really do much actual practice or change things. I can speak for the Eagles and say they looked like a sloppy team that desperately needed more practice. Another thing, the Eagles are a different animal away from the Linc on defense. This year we made Fitz and Mariota look like Gods so far. Last year you guys hung 500 yards on us at Meadowlands (and even poured on the yardage at the Linc as well). The short passes that Giants offense was sticking to prior to today would actually work on us and our charmin soft zone. On a normal week, I would be cautiously optimistic that our overall superior talent and sense of desperation would lead to a win, but I really question the logistics of how the Eagles win in 4 days unless they play completely different, but how/why would that happen? Hopefully I'm wrong, we will see.

I think 31-20 Giants. Just don't see how we can improve and fix the little things gone wrong that have plagued us on a short week. The defense at the Linc isn't even special anymore, scared to see what they'll look like away from it now. Only hope would be a real slopfest where both teams are hurting from the short week and look off, as this group of players and this staff have much more experience in winning close games that come down to the wire.

4 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Posted this in another thread in response to a Giants fan who thought we would roll them:

I think 31-20 Giants. Just don't see how we can improve and fix the little things gone wrong that have plagued us on a short week. The defense at the Linc isn't even special anymore, scared to see what they'll look like away from it now. Only hope would be a real slopfest where both teams are hurting from the short week and look off, as this group of players and this staff have much more experience in winning close games that come down to the wire.

I'm in general a very optimistic fan. This could easily be my optimism shining through. Imo, the Eagles are a better team. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat us in a dogfight or even straight up blow us out. But with the situation the way it is right now, I think the Giants have a really good chance on Thursday and it all comes down to what the team is really made of. 

If we finally have Vernon back i'll give us a chance. But I think the Eagles are the better team and they do have good coaching, they are going to look at the Dallas blueprint of putting constant pressure on Eli and will make the offense suffer. 

Congratulations  @minutemancl! I have officially turned this into our gameday thread.

Eagles have put Jay Ajaji on IR

Giants TE Ellison and K Rosas  are the only Giants that missed practice. Rosas will be a big loss if he can't go. Everyone else was at least limited. Barkley is not on the injury report thankfully after his awkward land into the end zone. 

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Congratulations  @minutemancl! I have officially turned this into our gameday thread.

Eagles have put Jay Ajaji on IR

Giants TE Ellison and K Rosas  are the only Giants that missed practice. Rosas will be a big loss if he can't go. Everyone else was at least limited. Barkley is not on the injury report thankfully after his awkward land into the end zone. 

I did it mom!

Jay is a big loss for the Eagles and Barkley not even being on the injury report is a huge deal. I thought he got hurt bad yesterday. Looked like an ugly non contact injury. 

Ellison and Rosa's would both be big losses. Obviously being down a kicker is bad (although it will be hysterical to see OBJ break some more records by kicking field goals and scoring touchdowns in the same game). Ellison being out would leave us with Scott Simonson and Garrett Dickerson at TE. No one is scared of those 2. 

There is a chance both Engram and Vernon are back for this game, which would be huge. Lots of what ifs so far as far as personnel, and it is a short week. 

On 10/8/2018 at 4:33 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Doubtful. They just snapped the longest streak in the league of sub 30 points scored. Highly doubt they do it in back to back games. I see it more of a 24-20 type game. I think you guys take the W though. Although the Panthers game was encouraging and betweek the ridiculous FG, the horrible call on Collins, and the Mccaffrey 1st down that shouldn't have been they really got screwed out of a win. I thought they had turned a corner with the impressive performance against Houston but then put up a total stinker against NO. They haven't shown any consistency. Maybe they can pull it out but if I was a betting man I'd put in on Philly

Getting Vernon back is huge. I think Ellison is going to play, which is also huge. I'm honestly surprised Engram was close to being back this week. I thought for sure he wouldn't be close. If Cody Latimer is back, hopefully he is, losing Russell Shepard isn't a huge loss.

I know it’s a cliche, but this is a must win game for the Giants.  Tough loss on Sunday but if they drop to 1-5 against a division rival, things are going to go south very quickly.  Falcons will be a tough game too

27 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I know it’s a cliche, but this is a must win game for the Giants.  Tough loss on Sunday but if they drop to 1-5 against a division rival, things are going to go south very quickly.  Falcons will be a tough game too

We are only 1.5 games back from the division lead in week 6 with the rest of the division looking poor. We definitely have a shot as of right now. Losing to (another) one of those poor teams to go to 0-2 in the division and more than 2 games back is a deathblow. It sucked to lose to the Saints and Carolina the last two weeks, but this is the must win game.

I was confident up until about 20 minutes ago. This is the game where Eli shows how done he really is. He looked really bad in the first nationally televised game this year against the Cowboys on Sunday night, but the OL looked terrible as well, giving up tons of pressure and untouched rushers. This is the game where even when he gets time, Eli throws picks and throws high and never gives us a chance. 24-14 Eagles. We kick 2 field goals and get a garbage time touchdown + 2 point conversion.

Archived