Bears @ Dolphins, 10/14/18, 12 CT, GAME THREAD

beardown3231

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Did I say first team offense? I get you're on suicide watch but damn. 

Then what are you implying? Yeah, he had reps in early August with guys who are likely not on the team anymore. Once again, his only reps with the first team offense came Friday.

And it’s not suicide watch, it’s the realization that they’re about to be 3-3.

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

No, it's not. He didn't initiate contact. Plays like that happen all the time and most don't get called due to how subjective the call is. 

Alonso was running and never broke stride. Burton lowered his shoulder. It was quite obvious. Mike Pereira agreed

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Then what are you implying? Yeah, he had reps in early August with guys who are likely not on the team anymore. Once again, his only reps with the first team offense came Friday.

Exactly how much timing do you think is needed for his dump off display? He had what, 5 maybe 6 passes that were completed over 5 yards from the LOS? He didn't win the game, the defense handed it to them. 50 QBs can make the routine passes he did. There was NOTHING special about what he did today. The defense was just as bad as if Trestman was heading the team. 

Just now, Sugashane said:

Exactly how much timing do you think is needed for his dump off display? He had what, 5 maybe 6 passes that were completed over 5 yards from the LOS? He didn't win the game, the defense handed it to them. 50 QBs can make the routine passes he did. There was NOTHING special about what he did today. The defense was just as bad as if Trestman was heading the team. 

The fluke catch that came off of Amos' tipped pass and fell into the receivers hand was all on Osweiler.

24 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Right. He played a quick passing game against soft coverage. Works a lot for us but usually we can to tackle worth a damn. We couldn't tackle and that and Fangios inability to adjust cost us. 

That's the thing that scares the hell out of me, right there. I don't think the defense is suddenly full of bad players. But Fangio being set in his ways is definitely cause for concern.

23 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

the defense will be fine and the offense has finally came alive these last 2 games.   

Agree. I think Trubisky and the offense nearly winning a shootout, on the road, against a good team, is very encouraging. 

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's the thing that scares the hell out of me, right there. I don't think the defense is suddenly full of bad players. But Fangio being set in his ways is definitely cause for concern.

Agree. I think Trubisky and the offense nearly winning a shootout, on the road, against a good team, is very encouraging. 

That is why the rumors about Fangio leaving didn't scare me as much. Pettine was who I was ready to see. A lot of mixing up looks, playcalling adjusts by the game, will blitz when he feels he can get an advantage. Our defensive talent is far superior to GBs, so he could have really kicked *** here. 

Problem is he might get a HC opportunity if he thrives, Fangio won't so we have that consistency at least. 

I'm not sure what adjustments Fangio is supposed to make to poor tackling.  Its 21-13 the Int, then the Dolphins score on a wr screen.  Offense goes down and scores again making 28-21.  Defense let's them score on the exact same play again.  Both times should have been stopped after short gains.  Now the good news is the defense DID adjust after that and sniffed out those wr screens fast.  

Man this loss stings because it was another one where Bears self destructed and gave it away like in week 1 instead of the other team actually being the better team. That's just the way it goes sometimes, especially with a young team and first time head coach.

Just as I predicted they came out flat after the bye week and didn't really get going until the 2nd half. 

Hope this lights a fire up the teams you know what because it doesn't get any easier next week.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

That’s exactly why he did, and that’s exactly why it’s a penalty. Just because Alonso was running full speed in “his space” doesn’t mean he can shoulder him. It’s a penalty.

I'm not going to blame the loss on this one play but please explain how that is pass interference when it is within 5 yards of the LOS? I thought you were allowed to block guys in those situations? It's not as if it was a cheap shot either. Call me a homer but I think it was a very bad call.

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'm not going to blame the loss on this one play but please explain how that is pass interference when it is within 5 yards of the LOS? I thought you were allowed to block guys in those situations? It's not as if it was a cheap shot either. Call me a homer but I think it was a very bad call.

It’s within 5 yards? I thought you can block within 1 or 2 yards. I truly don’t know.

All I’m trying to say is that Burton needs to be smarter. Was Alonso running at him? Sure, but that doesn’t mean you dip your shoulder and put it into the defender’s chest. It stands out on the field. Move out of his path or something, but don’t make it so obvious.

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It’s within 5 yards? I thought you can block within 1 or 2 yards. I truly don’t know.

All I’m trying to say is that Burton needs to be smarter. Was Alonso running at him? Sure, but that doesn’t mean you dip your shoulder and put it into the defender’s chest. It stands out on the field. Move out of his path or something, but don’t make it so obvious.

My interpretation of the rules is that within 5 yards on any pass play you can make contact with the opposing player and it is perfectly legal as long as you are not holding said player or making an illegal block that is either low or from behind.

That said I don't see what Burton did wrong on this play to cause pass interference? He was running his route as per the pass play and he and Alonso just happened to intersect each other. It's BS to me that that's pass interference but unfortunately that's the way it goes sometimes and Bears were on short end.

Archived