Bears @ Dolphins, 10/14/18, 12 CT, GAME THREAD

beardown3231

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

My interpretation of the rules is that within 5 yards on any pass play you can make contact with the opposing player and it is perfectly legal as long as you are not holding said player or making an illegal block that is either low or from behind.

That said I don't see what Burton did wrong on this play to cause pass interference? He was running his route as per the pass play and he and Alonso just happened to intersect each other. It's BS to me that that's pass interference but unfortunately that's the way it goes sometimes and Bears were on short end.

It’s my understanding that the defender can be as handsy as he wants within 5 yards, but in terms of the offensive player blocking, I could have swore it’s 1-2 yards down the field before the ball is thrown.

Someone settle this!

Either way, again I just thought it was so egregious of an impact that the call was made with ease. Next time, move.

3 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

They paid him that amount of money to make that kick. 

You're absolutely right on that. Though I don't know if the bobbled snap ended up throwing his timing off on that one. Either way..it sucks when u fail to put away a game like that.

21 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It’s my understanding that the defender can be as handsy as he wants within 5 yards, but in terms of the offensive player blocking, I could have swore it’s 1-2 yards down the field before the ball is thrown.

Someone settle this!

Either way, again I just thought it was so egregious of an impact that the call was made with ease. Next time, move.

I guess he could have been a little more subtle about it but still doesn't change my opinion on the poor officiating.

What about the play in OT where the ball tips off a bears dman and into the hands of Stills 30 yards down field? Pretty sure that was blatant holding from their RT on Mack.

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I guess he could have been a little more subtle about it but still doesn't change my opinion on the poor officiating.

What about the play in OT where the ball tips off a bears dman and into the hands of Stills 30 yards down field? Pretty sure that was blatant holding from their RT on Mack.

I agree on that one. Miami ended up not scoring on that though.

The game was lost on the two turnovers inside the 11. It can be argued that maybe the 3 best Bears offensive players turned the ball over today, and when that happens, it’s just not your day. IMO, It has nothing to do with refs or temperature or coaching.

54 minutes ago, Pool said:

Tough loss. Bears have to find ways to close out the close games. Trubisky though. Man I get more and more impressed with this kid. 5th game in this system and it's looking like the skies the limit.

He's still missing wide open WRs and throwing questionable balls that should be picked off.

I like what I'm seeing outside of that... but God damnit Mitch stop missing wide open dudes.

Through 5 games: 70.2%, 1,261 yards, 7.8 YPA, 11 TDs, 4 INTs 105.6 rating.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

He's still missing wide open WRs and throwing questionable balls that should be picked off.

I like what I'm seeing outside of that... but God damnit Mitch stop missing wide open dudes.

Yeah. That's terrible. 9_9

And...isn't it 12 TDs? 

37 minutes ago, G08 said:

Currently on pace for: 4035 yards, 35 TDs, 13 INTs. (Bolded are club records.) At the beginning of the season I think we'd all take that. 

42 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is why I’m not that mad about this loss. Things like this happen to all teams even good teams.

But Mitch has kept progressing which is great to see. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That's the thing that scares the hell out of me, right there. I don't think the defense is suddenly full of bad players. But Fangio being set in his ways is definitely cause for concern.

Agree. I think Trubisky and the offense nearly winning a shootout, on the road, against a good team, is very encouraging. 

Although overall I'm still not too concerned about the defense moving forward (other than staying healthy), you and @Sugashane do bring up a solid point about Fangio's adjustments--especially in the 4th Q and in the red zone (no I'm not giving the defense credit for Drake simply dropping the ball today either). 

It seems like the defense comes out a little flat in the early part of the game and can play at an elite level for the majority of 3 quarters but then suddenly drop off big time in the 4th/OT.  And it's practically the been with same players (other than Prince missing some time for injury) so injuries can't be used as excuse either--even though Nagy did say that Mack played with an injury today in the 1st Q but still. 

Total opponents score by quarter through 5 games
1st) 21
2nd) 6
3rd) 9
4th/OT) 60

^^That's pretty alarming. 

And this only furthermore proves this is not just an anomaly either. Coming into this game we had already been having the same issues.

Team First Qtr Rank Second Qtr Rank Third Qtr Rank Fourth Qtr/OT Rank First Half Rank Second Half Rank Late & Close Rank Total Rank
CHI -5.90% 13 -130.00% 1 -39.80% 2 26.60% 29 -72.90% 1 -1.60% 20 -59.30% 1 -31.50% 1

Now that being said and to be fair to Fangio, this could be the case of the defense just being gassed late in games because the offense are not giving them a breather by either going three and out too often, or turning it over, &/or scoring at a fast pace. And Fangio does seem to make adjustments whenever the defense starts slow in games, such as the Cards and today. So we should really take these things into consideration as well, IMO. 

29 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm not sure what adjustments Fangio is supposed to make to poor tackling.  Its 21-13 the Int, then the Dolphins score on a wr screen.  Offense goes down and scores again making 28-21.  Defense let's them score on the exact same play again.  Both times should have been stopped after short gains.  Now the good news is the defense DID adjust after that and sniffed out those wr screens fast.  

I don't think any major adjustments need to be made to tackling considering that it's only one game and it hasn't been a real issue throughout the season. Prior to this game the Bears defense had only missed a total of 8 broken tackles(T-3rd best in the league with WAS) and were 9th in percentage per play (3.8%). 

Team Plays Total BT ▾ Plays with BT % Plays
with BT
CAR 221 4 3 1.4%
NE 326 6 6 1.8%
CHI 210 8 8 3.8%
WAS 224 8 8 3.6%
MIN 287 9 7 2.4%
IND 326 9 9 2.8%
NO 283 10 9 3.2%
DET 282 11 11 3.9%
CIN 333 11 10 3.0%
TB 241 12 12 5.0%
LAC 280 12 11 3.9%
MIA 323 14 11 3.4%
SEA 299 15 13 4.3%
LARM 275 16 14 5.1%
PHI 292 16 15 5.1%
BAL 311 16 13 4.2%
GB 283 17 17 6.0%
DEN 300 17 16 5.3%
JAC 288 18 16 5.6%
BUF 308 18 17 5.5%
SF 310 19 12 3.9%
TEN 301 20 20 6.6%
NYJ 325 21 21 6.5%
OAK 283 23 21 7.4%
NYG 291 24 21 7.2%
ATL 320 24 20 6.2%
PIT 327 26 24 7.3%
HOU 317 27 27 8.5%
KC 338 27 23 6.8%
ARI 349 27 25 7.2%
DAL 304 31 28 9.2%
CLE 361 39 34 9.4%

Now if it continues through consecutive games, then sure, Fangio needs to start making the necessary changes and adjustments but don't let one game overshadow the other 4. 

It's also worth noting that Albert Wilson was tied for 7th in the league among WR's in broken tackles coming into the game so let's give him some credit as well.

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

My interpretation of the rules is that within 5 yards on any pass play you can make contact with the opposing player and it is perfectly legal as long as you are not holding said player or making an illegal block that is either low or from behind.

That said I don't see what Burton did wrong on this play to cause pass interference? He was running his route as per the pass play and he and Alonso just happened to intersect each other. It's BS to me that that's pass interference but unfortunately that's the way it goes sometimes and Bears were on short end.

I believe you're thinking of holding on the defense.  The 5 yard rule don't apply to a pick play on offense -- which is when an offensive player intentionally initializes contact to a defender a and can be called on any part of the field. 

But you're absolutely right that Burton was simply heading into his zone as per the play-call (which Nagy even said in his presser) and it just so happen to be at a time where Kiko was crossing into that same zone at the same time and Burton was caught blind-sided and just naturally reacted to brace himself for impact.

Putrid game in the heat coming off the bye.

The turnovers were brutal on offense, the fumbles especially.

The defense was horrendous. 274 YAC yards, 0 sacks, tons of missed tackles. Fangios zone game plan was garbage.

Nagy blew a great day for him by getting scared and settling for a long fG.

Trubisky was good. He settled in and made plays. He had 2 god awful throws, but that happens. He took them down to score a TD, defense blew it, has them marching for a game winning FG and Cohen fumbles.

This game was awful, and we still should have won. I actually found myself not feeling too bad after it, because we played so badly and so many things didn't go our way (Amos' PD falling straight to Stills, refs missing the delay of game on Gore's late run, turnovers in just the worst spots, Scales' first bad snap in his Bears career) that I don't think we'll play that badly again for a while. And we STILL should have won.

Don't know if it was the heat, the bye or whatever but the defense was awful. Tackling has been solid all season - not this week. We've been destroying O-lines all season - not this week. Right now I feel like it was just a weird off week and I still feel like we can come out of this stretch vs the AFC East with two or three wins. If we're 5-3 or 6-2 after this stretch we're still in a great spot but that's looking too far ahead now.

Offense looked great at times to be fair, couple of amazing catches from Gabriel and Robinson, Cohen looked the fastest and smoothest player on the field, and Mitch made some great throws and reads - couple of bad throws too but seems like once he gets in to a rhythm he does start feeling it - good to see him stack two more encouraging performances in a row.

I'll let the defense off for a god awful day because of what we were treated to in weeks 1-4, I really do this was just a terrible off-day. AND WE STILL SHOULD HAVE WON. 

Archived