Bears @ Dolphins, 10/14/18, 12 CT, GAME THREAD

beardown3231

My post game rants would be:

1. The defense folding like a lawn chair... against a Journeyman QB and a tattered offensive line.  Dolphins seemingly averaged 4-5 yards every time they ran the ball and it was embarrassing for a team with such a strong run defense.... We've seen 4 weeks of the "Mack effect" and how it changed this defense substantially.... and today we saw what happens when Mack is a non factor (apparently because of his ankle).... the entire defense imploded.

2. Trubisky recovered in the 2nd half, but he looked atrocious early on, constantly over throwing targets again.. His play later was pretty stellar so I'm not going to hate on Trubs much here, but I do notice we're putting entirely too much on his shoulders because:

3. Our run game is a liability. There's no nice way to say this, but as much as PFF rants about how amazing our OL is in the passing game, the running lanes have basically been non-existent all season. I genuinely don't know what the issue is, but Heistand needs to fix it. Howard is a significantly better back than what he's being made to look like, and even Cohen is struggling to get ANYTHING going unless he's running way outside the line. They simply aren't getting it done on the ground, and this is probably my 2nd biggest concern for the team overall right now.

The loss ******* sucks, it hurts, but it took everything going against us and we still had a chance to win in OT.

I don't like to use the 'weather' excuse but you could see the defense was gassed. Eddie Jackson, Akiem Hicks, Bilal Nichols, I saw them all have loafs and it was maddening. Being as hot as it was, though, I suppose I get it. Still, want to see them be tougher than that. Lost in all of this? The Dolphins kicked our *** in the run game at 5.1 yards per clip.

We have to steal one from the Pats/Vikings/Rams to make this up.

Watched quick game in condensed. 

Quick  thoughts:

Fangio’s game plan sucked. They beat us all day with FB/TE in flat, WR screens and Gore up middle.  Easiest O in world to stop. They played back and passive all day until they gassed and gave up big play.  Adjust! They go old school you go old school. They thought we won’t give up big play and wait for mistake. They were playing so conservative they weren’t going to make a mistake.  You allowed them to move chains again and again.

Basically Miami was allowed to hold all day. 

Bears D didn’t play well, but zero aggression played into that.

Officiating was a factor in this game couldn’t see replays, but you could still tell. Some big calls were made.

A lot of people will focus on MT wide open miss in first, but adrenaline will do that. 

Bigger prob was failure to spot mismatch Cohen represented downfield until later in game. We talked about it pre game.

MT played pretty bad in first half and pretty darn good in 2nd half except for INT.

Really hard to win when you turn ball over in end zone twice.  Those are huge point swings.

Playing for a 54 yard field goal was a tough call and too conservative.  I understand he would have been roasted had they turned it over or taken a sack. Should have told him you can’t take a sack or turn it over and tried to get some yards anyway. Call timeout and get the right call in and talk about it.

Positives are Miller, Robinson, Cohen and Our fast guy,can’t remember his name at moment, will be tough for next 3 years. One of best in league. 

Defense

-We are starting on the defense this week because of that absolutely deplorable performance that they put on the field coming out of the bye week. 274 yards after the catch, including a 43 and 75 yard TD in the 4th quarter that were thrown less than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. 0 sacks and 4 QB hits against a banged up OL and a backup QB. I do not envy the guy who has to count the missed tackles because I have never seen anything like that before from a non-Mel Tucker Bears defense.

-Vic Fangio's game plan was hot garbage. His zone defense was getting torched all game, they were generating 0 pressure and he refuses to go to man to man and blitz more. What is the point in staying in zone when you are giving up huge plays?

-Eddie Jackson was brutal. His lack of effort and terrible angles on the long TDs was pathetic and it looked like he quit in the heat. He turned it on a little in the 4th quarter, but at that point it was too late.

-Roquan and Trevathan were a complete joke. Not only were they worked over in the run game, but neither had a clue what they were doing in the passing game. They both looked soft and lost. Late in the game on the OT drive Drake crosses right in front of Roquan and gains 15 yards because it looked like Roquan had lost the power of movement. Just a garbage game from both of them.

-Mack was hurt so I am not sure how much to put on him for the lack of pressure, but it sure would be nice if 25% of the holds committed against him were called.

-You see that Lynch and Floyd feed off of Mack. Neither was particularly good without the disruption that Mack causes. The Floyd roughing the passer was a terrible call, but what the hell was he doing on the suplex play?

-Hicks looked tired all game and still made plays.

-Goldman barely played, my guess is the heat chewed him up and spit him up. No wonder they were so garbage against the run. The Bears gave up 5.6 YPC to the Dolphins running backs.

-No one else stood out on the DL obviously. A bunch of guys standing around watching RBs run by in the heat.

-Nice game from Kyle Fuller. He actually brought some life to the defense in the middle of the game with those picks.

-I thought Callahan and Amos played fine, but it is hard to throw bouquets at anyone in the secondary with the pathetic missed tackles. Callahan was especially guilty of not wrapping up and finishing tackles, which is strange because he is normally so physical.

-Big picture I think this was just a really crappy game from a good unit and a good coach. I think we probably need to table the historic defense talk, because they simply give up way too many big plays in crunch time to be "historic". Historic defenses do not allow Albert Wilson to run through them on 2 different occasions. It is tough with New England coming into town, because I think that they are going to have another rough day. They need Khalil Mack to be healthy.

Offense 

Offense 

-I thought the 1st half the offense came out tight, the OL was bad, Mitch missed a couple of throws and then Nagy got a little conservative and screen happy. The major positive was that it did not last and he was able to get Mitch settled down and get the offense rolling. People talking about Nagy being in over his head are hilarious. He blew it in overtime and over trusted his kicker, that happens and he needs to learn from it, but the entire 2nd half he was getting guys wide open and was in the head of the Dolphins DC. We have never had this level of offensive play calling advantage.

-Mitch played well. He made 2 hot garbage throws, one he was punished for and the other was dropped, other than that and the slow start I thought he was on point. If you had told me Mitch was going to complete 70% for 320 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, and 47 yards rushing I would have said that the 20 point win over the Dolphins was awesome. If you would have told me that he would have had completions of 47, 50, 54, I would have told you that it was pretty awesome to win a game by 21 on the road. Unfortunately, the fumbles happened and the defense **** the bed and a great day from our QB was essentially wasted.

Trubisky was throwing dimes. The deep passes to Gabriel for 47 yards [to the left], the deep pass to Gabriel for 54 [to the left], the TD throw to Robinson between 4 defenders [to the left], the sideline throw to Robinson that was reviewed for 22 [to the left], even the 50 yard pass and run to Cohen, those were all dimes and they were mostly deep and to the left, so maybe we can put that weak *** narrative to bed.

Mitch playing well is more important than this individual win/loss against an AFC team.

-Taylor Gabriel was a signing that some doubted and said we over paid. He is 100% what this offense has been missing for years, a consistent deep threat that can actually run routes and catch the ball. His ability to create chunk plays has been huge and he and Mitch seem to have a connection that is growing. Mitch seems dialed in to how fast Gabriel is and where he needs to put the ball based on what he is running. He has been the biggest surprise for me as I liked the signing and didn't think he would produce like this.

-Allen Robinson is a really nice weapon to have. His size and route running and really impressive to me. The TD catch he sits in the perfect spot in the zone and then catches a bullet from Mitch.

-Trey Burton continues to grow in the game plan, which is nice to see as well. I think that we have not yet seen all that he can do and I think he will benefit the most from Shaheen coming off of IR. I have been impressed with how smooth he is in the passing game.

-It is rare when a team goes out and signs multiple big money free agents and they all seem to be working out. Most of the time because of health, scheme fit, mis use, some of those free agents struggle and never live up to what they are paid. The offensive free agents seem to all be working out really well, which is awesome.

-Jordan Howard's fumble was probably one of the more back breaking single plays that I can remember. Partly because of the situation and partly because I just never expect him to fumble in that situation. Howard with an open hole from the 1 is automatic in my mind. He had some nice runs in the 2nd half and he did some serious work to get the team in FG range, I am glad Nagy didn't do the junior high move and shelf Howard, but it was back breaking.

-Tarik Cohen deserves to take some heat for the fumble, but I think we are not seeing that Nagy can use him to just gut defenses. The fact that he can run and catch the way that he does and also actually play RB makes him super difficult to stop. My guess is we have seen the last of the Jordan Howard 25-30 touch games in this offense. Cohen is just too capable of chunk plays not to designate more touches for him.

-It is time to make the switch to James Daniels at LG. Give him 2-3 games to get up to speed before we hit the divisional games that will decide our season. Kush is not bad, but he is also not good and Daniels could be good.

-The OL struggled early in the game and they physically were getting beat up a little. In the 2nd half they came out and played much better. The protection improved and the run game finally got going. I think part of it was that Mitch was hitting the defense with big passing plays, but they blocked better.

-I thought Leno had a nice day against Robert Quinn, who is not a bum, he continues to earn that extension.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

-Goldman barely played, my guess is the heat chewed him up and spit him up. No wonder they were so garbage against the run. The Bears gave up 5.6 YPC to the Dolphins running backs.

Goldman played 40 snaps, his season high on defense. He was just owned out there.

Something I noticed and it's gonna be something that Fangio needs to fix is the controlling the dink and dunk style of offense.  We were killing GB until Rodgers got hurt, and he went to the quick passes and pick plays.  We didn't stop them in the second half, and no one touched the quarterback.  Yesterday Osweiler threw the same type of passes ALL day, and with the same results and what do we expect Brady and the Pats to do?  Heck they perfected that style of offense.  Unless something is changed we are gonna see that style of offense for the rest of the season.

10 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

Something I noticed and it's gonna be something that Fangio needs to fix is the controlling the dink and dunk style of offense.  We were killing GB until Rodgers got hurt, and he went to the quick passes and pick plays.  We didn't stop them in the second half, and no one touched the quarterback.  Yesterday Osweiler threw the same type of passes ALL day, and with the same results and what do we expect Brady and the Pats to do?  Heck they perfected that style of offense.  Unless something is changed we are gonna see that style of offense for the rest of the season.

That’s kind of what I said yesterday. A loss is what it is, but now it’s officially put the blueprint out there for opposing offenses. If you thought Osweiler, Gore, Amendola and Wilson were a rough matchup, I’m here to tell ou that Brady, White/Michel, Edelman and Gordon is far worse.

To make matters worse, I fear Mack’s ankle may be an issue for the rest of the year. 

Hope I’m wrong on both fronts.

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

There is a reason I called it the bend-over-but-don't-break defense last year and after the GB game. Complained about it in the SEA game when they did the soft coverage, etc. Fangio is just stubborn as hell I think. His refusal to adapt and adjust might be why he never was a HC.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

There is a reason I called it the bend-over-but-don't-break defense last year and after the GB game. Complained about it in the SEA game when they did the soft coverage, etc. Fangio is just stubborn as hell I think. His refusal to adapt and adjust might be why he never was a HC.

Better to lose in a slow controlled manner than get aggressive and lose quickly. I HATE the bend don't break and then we give up huge plays to lose the GB game and now vomit one away to the offensive juggernaut that is Brock the 'O'.

When you have a Mack, you had better have an aggressive approach or switch over to coaching ice dancing pairs.

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I don't know if he's stubborn, he just loves playing coverages on the back end. If you're not getting home with your front 4, he's basically ****ed. He'll blitz from time to time but it's nothing exotic. He'll send a nickel, maybe an inside linebacker, that's about it.

I won't bag on him yet because, let's be honest, it's the 4th ranked defense in points allowed thus far. Tough to complain about that.

37 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't know if he's stubborn, he just loves playing coverages on the back end. If you're not getting home with your front 4, he's basically ****ed. He'll blitz from time to time but it's nothing exotic. He'll send a nickel, maybe an inside linebacker, that's about it.

I won't bag on him yet because, let's be honest, it's the 4th ranked defense in points allowed thus far. Tough to complain about that.

Bears defense was pretty bad on Sunday, but so were the Dolphins really.  I think the heat was a pretty obvious factor when you like at how uncharacteristic the tackling and pressure was all day long.  I mean not one sack against a pretty immobile QB in Osweiler?

I read how the opposing team's sideline at Hard Rock stadium is purposely placed on the side of where the sun hits the stadium the most during the day, whereas the Dolphins sideline is in complete shade.  You could even see that the Bears staff had some shade barriers put up throughout the sidelines to keep the players some what shaded.

All in all, Bears still managed to to compete in this game and an argument can be made that they were the better team and should have won.  Pretty sure if this game was played in Chicago Dolphins wouldn't have stood a chance but can't think like that.

I'm really looking forward to next Sunday's game.  I feel we have a better shot than people think at beating the Pats at home.

@topwop1 I read a quote from Rex Ryan where he said the Dolphins have such an underrated home field advantage, he considers it to be tops in the NFL. He said there were games in the past where his team was up 14 going into the 4th quarter, but by then his guys would be gassed and the Dolphins would mount a comeback.

I want to say the heat is a BS excuse, but hey, Ryan has no reason to lie about this and maybe there's a reason Brady has a crap record there.

Oh well, live and you learn I guess. I'll feel a **** ton better if we beat NE.

Archived