Bears @ Dolphins, 10/14/18, 12 CT, GAME THREAD

beardown3231

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm just wondering how he knows that Howard is valuable in the playoffs. He seems awfully sure of something that has never happened. That's all.

I think I can answer on his behalf: projection and looking at the importance of RBs in playoff games. Not EVERY playoff game, mind you, but many.

Just now, dll2000 said:

Shea got screwed by Bears being drafted and played out of position, but he did suck as a DE.  Not his fault, he just couldn't do it and most NFL people knew it.  Even moron talking heads knew it and said it during draft coverage.  So it was a wasted first round pick.  That will bring criticism to Shea fairly or unfairly.

Howard conversely has been a good player on a mid round contract.  Win/win.  He should get more love for that and so should Pace. 

I think most people just are jumping gun on whether to resign him or not in 2020.  I say who cares?  I can't think more than 1 season ahead.  Too many variables.  Good player on a mid round contract.  Play it out. Cross the bridge when you come to it or come closer.  I would let him hit the market and see what his value is.  Match it or don't depending on the dollars.  

I would tell him that.  It would motivate him to ball out in 2019. 

I'm of the opinion he's a goner after next season. I think we draft a more "well rounded" RB in the 2019 draft and he competes with Howard for the starting gig. This will ostensibly cost Benny Cunningham his job.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I'm of the opinion he's a goner after next season. I think we draft a more "well rounded" RB in the 2019 draft and he competes with Howard for the starting gig. This will ostensibly cost Benny Cunningham his job.

And then Ryan Nall steps up to become the next great white running back. 5, 10, maybe even 15 rushes next season!!! He will be our  Zach Zenner! lol

1 hour ago, G08 said:

It's likely he is gone given what we know now about what situation will look like.  But a lot can change between now and 2020 so who knows?  

Veteran 3rd stringers are just depth.  Cunningham is small potatoes.   Non-issue whether he is here or not.  

Remember Pace MO .  He doesn't like to go into draft with holes he has to fill.  He may sign crappy or journeyman veterans, but he will ostensibly fill the hole, at least on paper, so he can take BPA during draft.   So he isn't likely to go into 2020 draft knowing he has to draft a RB. 

My bet is it happens like this:

Pace targets a RB in 2019 draft.  He may or may not get his guy.  Someone else may get guy he is targeting before he picks.  If he gets his guy Howard is gone in 2020.  He misses on his guy in 2019 he will look at RB market and take best reasonably priced FA before the draft.  That may be Howard.  We don't know what his market is, but if everyone here says don't overpay him, probably no one else is lining up to throw big money at him either.  And he will already know system. 

But in any event he won't go into 2020 draft thinking he has to draft a RB to fill a glaring hole for a departing Howard.  Hopefully he doesn't miss on his first choice in 2019 and then just grab anyone.  Although that is how Ari got David Johnson.  They wanted the Detroit RB and settled for Johnson later in draft.  But they were throwing pens and upset when they missed on their first choice.  Johnson was just another dude to them, they were unenthused.  

Archived