Week 6 GDT: Browns vs. Team Formerly Known as San Diego

MistaBohmbastic

Weel 6 GDT: Browns vs. Team Formerly Known as San Diego  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Can we finally admit Ogbah is a JAG? He’s worth keeping as a rotational guy, but Myles needs help.

It’s crazy because he looked so much better his first two years in the league. I just wonder if his foot/ankle still isn’t right from when he injured it earlier in the year and he is just trying to play through it

Well, I think that yesterday exposed just how weak we are/were in some areas, if it already wasn't abundantly clear. Here are my honest thoughts about priorities and needs going forward, in no particular order: 

1. WR: We need at least 1 outside guy/go to guy. Possession WR, Red Zone threat, do it all type, preferably a big body.

2. RT: Hubbard looked absolutely awful yesterday

3. DT: We need 1-2 of these guys, preferably a run stuffer/big body as a 1 Tech and a disrupting 3 Tech. We are almost last in the NFL in rushing yards given up. That's frustrating.

4. EDGE/DE: We need someone opposite of Myles. Ogbah isn't that guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for BPA, but other things at this point are luxuries (2nd TE, MLB) at this point. If we don't get one of those dominant DTs in 2019, I'm going to scream...not to mention giving our young franchise QB legitimate weapons to throw to. Calloway looks like a guy you can't depend on, on or off the field yet (what a shock), Landry is a good slot, and Higgins is a good 3rd guy...but where is our #1? 

I was pretty insistent this off-season about Ogbah being a bad starting DE, in a league where pass rush over run defending ability is essential at the position. I’m thrilled with Denzel, make no mistake. But this is why I at the time wanted Chubb. 

Looking ahead, the 2019 draft is awesome up front, so if we do go that route early, I think it turns out for the best. I think the Browns and Ogbah are likely on a collision course towards inevitable separation though. It’s year 3, and that’s a year players are generally judged for what they are, not what is projected towards future development. Personally, I think he could be a good role reserve. I think he will see opportunities for more elsewhere though. We could really use a DE and DT to replace Coley as starter. I think the needs are similar in measure, and I think if we are going hard after the DL early, you just have to go BPA between the positions. 

16 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Looking ahead, the 2019 draft is awesome up front, so if we do go that route early, I think it turns out for the best. I think the Browns and Ogbah are likely on a collision course towards inevitable separation though. It’s year 3, and that’s a year players are generally judged for what they are, not what is projected towards future development. Personally, I think he could be a good role reserve. I think he will see opportunities for more elsewhere though.

Yeah this is how I see it too. Someone will likely overpay for him, but I’d love to lock him up as a reserve.

16 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

We could really use a DE and DT to replace Coley as starter. I think the needs are similar in measure, and I think if we are going hard after the DL early, you just have to go BPA between the positions. 

Danny Shelton would be nice right now, but I get taking the pick if you’re not planning on locking him up long term.

- We have been on the receiving end of some terrible officiating all year

- Ogbah blows

- Coley ain't it

- We got coached under the bus

- Danny Shelton was so underrated for us, this makes me want Dexter Lawrence (Washington doesn't even use a guy I liked in the Draft, Tim Settle, we need a major upgrade at 1 tech)

- We have one WR who can separate and he is as green as there is

- OL has to do a lot better

- We can stand to improve at LB period

- Not mad at Randall he made a play on the ball and was where he should have been

- More Duke in the passing game

- At the end of the day, again we got the pants coached off of us

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Well, I think that yesterday exposed just how weak we are/were in some areas, if it already wasn't abundantly clear. Here are my honest thoughts about priorities and needs going forward, in no particular order: 

1. WR: We need at least 1 outside guy/go to guy. Possession WR, Red Zone threat, do it all type, preferably a big body.

3. DT: We need 1-2 of these guys, preferably a run stuffer/big body as a 1 Tech and a disrupting 3 Tech. We are almost last in the NFL in rushing yards given up. That's frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for BPA, but other things at this point are luxuries (2nd TE, MLB) at this point. If we don't get one of those dominant DTs in 2019, I'm going to scream...not to mention giving our young franchise QB legitimate weapons to throw to. Calloway looks like a guy you can't depend on, on or off the field yet (what a shock), Landry is a good slot, and Higgins is a good 3rd guy...but where is our #1? 

I actually think we have that guy but he needs time to develope.

I think Denard Avery could turn in to a 3 down DE for us.  He rushes well, he covers well, he plays the run well, I want to see more of him...

16 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I actually think we have that guy but he needs time to develope.

I think Denard Avery could turn in to a 3 down DE for us.  He rushes well, he covers well, he plays the run well, I want to see more of him...

IMO even if Avery is that guy, we still need a 3rd guy to come in and get it done. Most good teams have 3 solid pass rusher that they can rotate in and out and/or use in NASCAR type packages.

Just now, MWil23 said:

IMO even if Avery is that guy, we still need a 3rd guy to come in and get it done. Most good teams have 3 solid pass rusher that they can rotate in and out and/or use in NASCAR type packages.

This.

Why be content with two pass rushers? Look around the league at the most dominant defensive fronts in football. Even the Chargers - Ingram and Liuget are very good. They also have Bosa. Just imagine what they'd be doing right now with Joey in the mix.

Not to mention, forcing Myles to play significantly more snaps than any other DE in football is going to take it's toll. The Browns NEED someone who can rotate in with him AND play beside him.

9 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Not to mention, forcing Myles to play significantly more snaps than any other DE in football is going to take it's toll. The Browns NEED someone who can rotate in with him AND play beside him.

They just need to rotate him either way.

No reason he’s playing this much.

8 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

This.

Why be content with two pass rushers? Look around the league at the most dominant defensive fronts in football. Even the Chargers - Ingram and Liuget are very good. They also have Bosa. Just imagine what they'd be doing right now with Joey in the mix.

Avery is a little undersized as a DE.  But he does well as a rush linebacker and needs to play more.  I think he can develop into a perennial pro-bowler, but for some reason they haven't been playing him at linebacker except for on obviously pass rushing situations.  I'm not against him being a DE, just think he would get overpowered in the run game at 245 lbs going up against 320 lbs left tackles. 

He just seems like the perfect fit for the middle of our defense.  Him, Schobert, and someone else would be ideal moving forward. 

9 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

The reason, whether we agree with it or not, is the fact that there's a massive drop off between Garrett and the next man up.

True, but that is the case with every team in the NFL. Your best DE is usually miles ahead of your 3rd best DE especially for the teams with a guy as talented as Myles Garrett.

The fact is Gregg Williams does a piss poor job of rotating his defense. We have Myles Garrett and Larry Ogunjobi playing over 92 and 88% of the snaps this season and since his return from injury Emmanuel Ogbah is playing over 85% of the snaps. That is 3 plays on the defensive line that are effectively never coming out. That is garbage. Anyone who has ever played or coach DL will tell you a 100% DLineman for 70% of the snaps is better than a 70% Dlineman for 100% of the time.

It is time for Anthony Zettle, Carl Davis, and especially Chad Thomas to start getting reps. If you aren't going to play them then they aren't worth being on the 53 man roster so cut them to sign some WRs bc lord knows when need those right now. Chad Thomas hasn't taken a single snap since Oakland. Sorry it is time to play the kid or admit you screwed up and send him packing. 

Chris Smith was playing 65% of the snaps before Emmanuel Ogbah returned and has since fallen into the since digit snap counts. If he was good enough to play 65% of the snaps before he is still good enough to play that about now while giving Garrett and Ogbah a blow. He is most certainly good enough to play at least 65% of Ogbah's role considering Chris Smith was out playing him. He was no world beater but Chris Smith was playing at a much higher level than Ogbah is playing right now.

Another guy who has seen his snap counts fall considerably for 3 straight weeks now is Genard Avery. Again if these guys were good enough to play before Ogbah returned they are good enough to play now and again these guys have both out played Ogbah all pre season and during his injured spell. 

The reality is Gregg Williams does a terrible job rotating because he is either a) incompetent or b) has serious trust issue which I believe in the latter based on how he completely changed his coverage plans with the corners available.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Agree - I've always looked at this season as the one to establish our footing, but next season after another draft and round of FA as the one to take the big step forward towards contention. Adding to the WR, D-Line, and OT positions will be key. We're going to have more games like the Chargers one this season, and will also have some more close losses and a few more close wins. I don't think we'll have any blowout wins, but this is a freshly rebuilt roster coming of a 1-31 streak, and you can't do it all in one year.

Archived