Eagles Lose Ajayi for the Season

carrolljcmc

1 minute ago, I <3 Faulk said:

I wonder if they run with Clement and company or try to make a run for Bell

I'm sure that'll be the speculation, especially with the extra couple days off after thursday

Clement and Sproles have been banged up too, Smallwood has weirdly been are most consistent guy. But he's never gonna make huge plays, just chip off decent runs

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

I'm sure that'll be the speculation, especially with the extra couple days off after thursday

Clement and Sproles have been banged up too, Smallwood has weirdly been are most consistent guy. But he's never gonna make huge plays, just chip off decent runs

They have Baltimore's 2nd. If they want Bell, they have the ammunition.  

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Bell's cap hit and PHI's cap hell next year it would take a lot of magic to make that happen.

The one way to do it - trade Foles.  That would require a ton of faith in Sudfield, though.   It's not like Wentz is a lock to stay healthy, the way the OL has been struggling. 

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Bell's cap hit and PHI's cap hell next year it would take a lot of magic to make that happen.

The one way to do it - trade Foles.  That would require a ton of faith in Sudfield, though.   It's not like Wentz is a lock to stay healthy, the way the OL has been struggling. 

Jason Peters likely comes off the books next year, which will free up space.
Brandon Graham probably will leave for a payday.

I think they really like Nate, Foles won't be back at his number for next year obviously.
That's $38 mil give or take between those 3 guys, with another $10ish mil from other guys likely not to return like Mike Wallace, Ngata, etc
They can do it if they want to.

Bell would be a fantastic fit into what we do...I just don't know about that much cash, on top of a pick for a RB with so much usage already in his short career.

8 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think they really like Nate, Foles won't be back at his number for next year obviously.
That's $38 mil give or take between those 3 guys, with another $10ish mil from other guys likely not to return like Mike Wallace, Ngata, etc

Bell would be a fantastic fit into what we do...I just don't know about that much cash, on top of a pick for a RB with so much usage already in his short career.

Bell wants to be the highest paid back in football... I wouldn't want to give him that contract, period, let alone have to give up a 2nd or 3rd to even be given the right to do so. Like you said, we've got a tight cap situation, and Bell already has so many miles on him. He's a great RB, but still just an RB, they are a dime a dozen. Having one of the best backs, as opposed to a good back, is a luxury in my eyes. Of course we don't have either at the moment, but I think a "good back" can be readily had with one of our first 3 picks in the upcoming draft.

Unless the Steelers are going to part with Bell for super cheap, I have no interest. There's absolutely no way we could or would want to pay anything close to what Bell wants long term. He's a rental wherever he goes. No one is going to give him the deal he wants.

Ajayii is done as an Eagle. Most of us knew we weren't going to resign him after this contract. His knees weren't a matter of if they'd break, but when. His motion while running is not good for long term stability at all.

42 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

The thing is, you need to fit the money now.   So taking guys off for next year is fine to make it work next year (Foles 20M and Peters 8M) - but you need to clear the space to make it work now.   Really not a whole lot of room to do that - with 1/4 season done, you can only prorate so much.    The easiest is to get Cox to take a bonus now for his remaining salary, that would create about 6M of space kicked back to 2019-20 (since you can only prorate for first 5 years of deal, not further, so kick 2/3 of this year to 2019-20).   Then they have 4M in space to work with, but they need to keep some in reserve to sign guys when others get hurt (2M), so they're probably still about 3-4M short.   Trading Foles is the easiest way to do it...more if they want to leave Sudfield as their plan B for this year IMO, that's the obstacle (along with whatever pick it will cost them, of course).

I don't even know that PHI would extend Bell, they may just treat him as a rental, and then get the comp pick back in 2020.  In that context, trading a 3rd would be a win-win for both teams - PIT does better than a end-of-3rd 2020 pick, and PHI gets an end-of-3rd 2020 back to mitigate the price (it might even be something like BAL's or their 2nd for PIT's 4th).

Obviously, just a lot of spitballing, but it's kinda fun this early in the week, and just under 3 weeks to the trade deadline (Oct 30 I think).

I think you all are looking at bell in the wrong light. They wouldn't even need to try and sign him long term, to make a trade for him this season worth the cost. 

They are on a short list of teams that can realistically say, having bell on their team this year increases their Superbowl chances significantly. 

The real question is, do they have enough cap space for the prorated tag

Archived