Eagles Lose Ajayi for the Season

carrolljcmc

Just now, Forge said:

I feel like Abdullah could be a solid fit for this role in the eagles offense.

I think he'd be cheap..and wouldn't cost much.  But honestly, I think then he'd just be depth.  Clement I'd much rather throw out there than Ameer.

A fun idea - maybe PHI could trade for Gore - victory tour????

(I kid)

8 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

we cant afford to extend bell so that move doesnt make sense for us 

A 3rd or 4th obv makes more sense if it’s a rental.  You guys aren’t going to sign anyone so you get a 2020 end of 3rd / 4th pick back (end of 3rd only if it’s a top 7-8 deal or he makes Pro Bowl).   Unlike most teams you can pretty much back on not spending so it won’t risk comp picks.

Spending a 2nd for a half season rental seems steep.   A 3rd/4th (factoring in the year to wait for the 2020 comp pick) value (like swapping 2nd for early 4th) might do the trick.  

17 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Bell wants to be the highest paid back in football... I wouldn't want to give him that contract, period, let alone have to give up a 2nd or 3rd to even be given the right to do so. Like you said, we've got a tight cap situation, and Bell already has so many miles on him. He's a great RB, but still just an RB, they are a dime a dozen. Having one of the best backs, as opposed to a good back, is a luxury in my eyes. Of course we don't have either at the moment, but I think a "good back" can be readily had with one of our first 3 picks in the upcoming draft.

I agree, and i think howie probably would to.

I think the devil's advocate take is this though..we are in a window. We are still years out from Carson's contract and have almost all of our key guys locked up already.
We have a unique situation where we can pay him closer to that top dollar for the first 2/3 years before Wentz sets the market on QBs again.
Bell would help ease his return this year and take pressure off him, Bell's patient style could help pave over some of the olines shortcomings this season.
An improved running game will bring teams defenses in and help get 1on1s outside and improve that too.
So if you can get him for a 3rd and a conditional 2020 pick or something  (Steelers don't have true market leverage, so it's possible) , can fit him in for 4 years like that draft pick...is it so stupid? A firm i don't know

58 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The thing is, you need to fit the money now.   So taking guys off for next year is fine to make it work next year (Foles 20M and Peters 8M) - but you need to clear the space to make it work now.   Really not a whole lot of room to do that - with 1/4 season done, you can only prorate so much.    The easiest is to get Cox to take a bonus now for his remaining salary, that would create about 6M of space kicked back to 2019-20 (since you can only prorate for first 5 years of deal, not further, so kick 2/3 of this year to 2019-20).   Then they have 4M in space to work with, but they need to keep some in reserve to sign guys when others get hurt (2M), so they're probably still about 3-4M short.   Trading Foles is the easiest way to do it...more if they want to leave Sudfield as their plan B for this year IMO, that's the obstacle (along with whatever pick it will cost them, of course).

I don't even know that PHI would extend Bell, they may just treat him as a rental, and then get the comp pick back in 2020.  In that context, trading a 3rd would be a win-win for both teams - PIT does better than a end-of-3rd 2020 pick, and PHI gets an end-of-3rd 2020 back to mitigate the price (it might even be something like BAL's or their 2nd for PIT's 4th).

Obviously, just a lot of spitballing, but it's kinda fun this early in the week, and just under 3 weeks to the trade deadline (Oct 30 I think).

Right on cue...

And I've got a bunch of cheap real estate in Manhattan for sale....

Trading for Bell does not seem like a Howie Roseman move. They have a short week this week, but expect lots of rumors after Thursday. Wendell Smallwood and Corey Clement aren't gonna cut it for a team trying to repeat. 

Props to Ajayi though. He was playing through just about every injury you could possibly have until an ACL tear finally knocked him out. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

I think you all are looking at bell in the wrong light. They wouldn't even need to try and sign him long term, to make a trade for him this season worth the cost. 

They are on a short list of teams that can realistically say, having bell on their team this year increases their Superbowl chances significantly. 

The real question is, do they have enough cap space for the prorated tag

Yeah if it's a rental I'll give them a conditional pick that goes up to a 3rd rounder only if we win the Super Bowl.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yeah if it's a rental I'll give them a conditional pick that goes up to a 3rd rounder only if we win the Super Bowl.

More likely it's a third that goes to a second if you win (which would be more than worth it) or a third where you swap 3/4ths in a later year in the event you win. 

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

More likely it's a third that goes to a second if you win (which would be more than worth it) or a third where you swap 3/4ths in a later year in the event you win. 

Yeah no, there's no way I'm giving up a 3rd for Bell unless I've won the Superbowl. Sorry just not happening. Bell given his current situation isn't worth that much compensation.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

we cant afford to extend bell so that move doesnt make sense for us 

they could do if they really wanted to

Could see them trying to get Suh or Ansah instead though, or just resigning our guys..way more Howie

5 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

There are rumors floating out there that David Johnson is a potential target. Not even sure why the Cards would ever trade him but one can dream.

No way the Cardinals would take less than a first for him if they trade him. He's a franchise cornerstone and he's locked up for a while. 

Archived