Eagles Lose Ajayi for the Season

carrolljcmc

21 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Really sucks but was Philly even running the ball enough to use him right? I have been surprised they haven't run it more. Whats up Philly fans?

they've all been hurt on and off, like all the Rbs

something they gotta get back to for sure

So the Cox restructure gives an immediate 5 million in savings this year. How much cap space do they have now? 

Is has to be more than 9.4 million right? That's what leveon would cost assuming they trade for him on Friday. 

14,500,000 /17 *11 = roughly 9.4m

Apparently players get game checks all 17 weeks according to @jrry32 and after the eagles play Thursday there will be 11 weeks left in the season 

Coincidentally my friend's name is Jerry, who has a friend who is a rookie in the NFL, according to him players get paid every two weeks. That doesn't sound right to me, but that was what he said. Can anyone else actually confirm this? 

12 minutes ago, N4L said:

So the Cox restructure gives an immediate 5 million in savings this year. How much cap space do they have now? 

Is has to be more than 9.4 million right? That's what leveon would cost assuming they trade for him on Friday. 

Apparently players get game checks all 17 weeks according to @jrry32 and after the eagles play Thursday there will be 11 weeks left in the season 

Coincidentally my friend's name is Jerry, who has a friend who is a rookie in the NFL, according to him players get paid every two weeks. That doesn't sound right to me, but that was what he said. Can anyone else actually confirm this? 

I think all contracts are diff..

IIRC Kobe was only paid twice per season. Some players per each game. 

That's a different sport. Your base salary is prorated into either 16 or 17 checks.. signing bonuses, roster bonuses, workout bonuses etc are paid at different times but every players 'base salary' is prorated differently. Base salary is typically considered non guaranteed money if I am not mistaken. 

18 minutes ago, N4L said:

It actually takes their $4.5M and increases it by $6.5M for this season, giving them around $11M.

The issue is next season. Before the Cox restructure, they were over $20M over. After it, they should be around $9M-$10M over. Now they can ditch some contracts like Foles and Peters, which will put them around $20M over, but that not only leaves a hole at tackle but it doesn’t account for other losses. Bell (in this hypothetical), Darby, Hicks, Graham, Sudfeld, and Elliott are all players I imagine they’d want to keep. Bell and Graham will be pricey, and Darby/Hicks could both command over $10M a piece. 

So how do you fix that? Either let those guys go, cut some other players, or continue to restructure (which I don’t think is overly smart if Wentz’ payday is incoming). 

Basically, the Eagles are going to have some turnover and some tough decisions to make in the next offseason or two. Squeezing Bell into the mix will make it much, much tougher. Could they do it? Yes, it’s fiscally possible, but it’s going to cost them IMO.

@Yin-Yang but they just wouldn't sign him long term and collect the comp pick that would have otherwise gone to the Steelers. With the cap situation you just laid out, they obviously are not going to be able to sign anyone of value that would offset that. 

I don't understand why everyone keeps talking about a leveon trade like it's a long term move. He literally can't sign a long term deal until free agency next season. There is just no way he doesnt test the market and take the biggest contract offered. The dude wants to re-set the market. 

The eagles wouldn't make the trade to keep bell beyond this season. They would do so to try and win consecutive Superbowls. That is the ONLY reason they make this move, is to win the Superbowl THIS YEAR. It's the same strategy the Rams are using right now, go for gold while you have a talented QB on a rookie contract. 

A deep playoff run where leveon balls out and becomes an integral part of the late season push would only increase his value as a free agent imo. 

It makes too much sense to not happen.. unless the Steelers decide that they have Superbowl aspirations as well... 

30 minutes ago, N4L said:

Teams have the option to pay weekly or bi-weekly. However, the base salary is split into 17 parts. Players are also paid weekly for Training Camp and the preseason a lesser amount (set by the CBA) and during the postseason (if the teams makes it).(when I say "paid," I don't mean they receive a paycheck every week . . . again, the team has the option to pay weekly or bi-weekly)

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

@Yin-Yang but they just wouldn't sign him long term and collect the comp pick that would have otherwise gone to the Steelers. With the cap situation you just laid out, they obviously are not going to be able to sign anyone of value that would offset that. 

The Steelers can do the same thing - not trade him, let him walk, collect a 3rd round comp pick the following season. Pittsburgh, I imagine, wants to make a postseason run themselves. From their perspective it’d make complete sense to let Bell come back when he says he will and then run him into the ground.

The Eagles would have to offer more than a 3rd for a one year rental, potentially having to outbid other teams. Doesn’t make sense to me, especially if you know you’re going to be cap strapped and need to re-stock on young talent.

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It actually takes their $4.5M and increases it by $6.5M for this season, giving them around $11M.

The issue is next season. Before the Cox restructure, they were over $20M over. After it, they should be around $9M-$10M over. Now they can ditch some contracts like Foles and Peters, which will put them around $20M over, but that not only leaves a hole at tackle but it doesn’t account for other losses. Bell (in this hypothetical), Darby, Hicks, Graham, Sudfeld, and Elliott are all players I imagine they’d want to keep. Bell and Graham will be pricey, and Darby/Hicks could both command over $10M a piece. 

So how do you fix that? Either let those guys go, cut some other players, or continue to restructure (which I don’t think is overly smart if Wentz’ payday is incoming). 

Basically, the Eagles are going to have some turnover and some tough decisions to make in the next offseason or two. Squeezing Bell into the mix will make it much, much tougher. Could they do it? Yes, it’s fiscally possible, but it’s going to cost them IMO.

I think one thing to note, and Howie keeps his eyes on this.
We are building towards much bigger salary caps for various reasons the next 4 years.

Two biggest reasons, Sports Gambling & the new CBA.
As the wave of legalized sports gambling ripples across the country and becomes more integrated into the league via ad sells etc, we should see it reflect in the year to year boost in salary cap. It's not going to flip overnight but we should see a noticeable uptick there sometime by 2020/2021.
The other is the CBA, which is setting up for a huge blowout fight post 2020 season. Given some of the things Owners want (HGH testing, more games?, agreement on the anthem stuff, etc) they are going to have to concede more of a percentage to the players.

Both of these bumps will make keeping an extra $10 mil guy or two way easier to do.

Howie has always been skilled in controlling the cap and staying flexible. Having Wentz has already gotten us discounts, and that should continue as he continues his career, so that will help all of this too.

I mean i feel like i'm ending on the same place, don't see this being for bell, they could do it but it will take some wiggling.
But they have a lot going in their favor with all of that and then Foles and JP coming off the books

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think one thing to note, and Howie keeps his eyes on this.
We are building towards much bigger salary caps for various reasons the next 4 years.

Two biggest reasons, Sports Gambling & the new CBA.
As the wave of legalized sports gambling ripples across the country and becomes more integrated into the league via ad sells etc, we should see it reflect in the year to year boost in salary cap. It's not going to flip overnight but we should see a noticeable uptick there sometime by 2020/2021.
The other is the CBA, which is setting up for a huge blowout fight post 2020 season. Given some of the things Owners want (HGH testing, more games?, agreement on the anthem stuff, etc) they are going to have to concede more of a percentage to the players.

Both of these bumps will make keeping an extra $10 mil guy or two way easier to do.

Howie has always been skilled in controlling the cap and staying flexible. Having Wentz has already gotten us discounts, and that should continue as he continues his career, so that will help all of this too.

I mean i feel like i'm ending on the same place, don't see this being for bell, they could do it but it will take some wiggling.
But they have a lot going in their favor with all of that and then Foles and JP coming off the books

That’s true, but then contracts will inflate as well. It’s ebb and flow. And the ~$10M over the 2019 cap figure is already with a projected +$10M from the current cap. 

Any GM might be able to figure some future increases into deals made in this upcoming offseason, but it does cause problems with 2019 on it’s own for Philly. 

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

That’s true, but then contracts will inflate as well. It’s ebb and flow. And the ~$10M over the 2019 cap figure is already with a projected +$10M from the current cap. 

Any GM might be able to figure some future increases into deals made in this upcoming offseason, but it does cause problems with 2019 on it’s own for Philly. 

yeah it's definitely a murky situation, my main point was we are in a time where we know a sizeable increase is on the horizon...so if you need to kick money to the future, you can do so comfortably and get all your guys in moreso than most years.

Archived