Eagles Lose Ajayi for the Season

carrolljcmc

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

The Steelers can do the same thing - not trade him, let him walk, collect a 3rd round comp pick the following season. Pittsburgh, I imagine, wants to make a postseason run themselves. From their perspective it’d make complete sense to let Bell come back when he says he will and then run him into the ground.

The part everyone seems to be missing.

8 hours ago, cddolphin said:

From November 2017. The medical flags were there out of college, which is part of the reason Miami was able to draft him in the 5th round (before eventually flipping him after a couple productive seasons for a 4th).

Dude that is so freakin weird. Surprised we haven't highlighted that before

BTW, Howie Roseman is no doubt playing the market here.

If I were to guess, I'd imagine Roseman is calling BOTH Pit and Buf right now - and seeing who is going to offer the most reasonable price.   One thing about Roseman, he knows how to maximize return, so I can't imagine there isn't a call to PIT ongoing too.   

No doubt the pay cut was about finding a RB - and it's smart to contact both teams.   McCoy only costs 4M for ROS, and the 6.25M for 2019 isn't guaranteed - and if a suspension does come, then they recoup the lost $.   So I can see the angle. If nothing else, it also leverages PIT from trying to ask the moon for a pure rental.    McCoy isn't the player that Bell is now, though.  But it's a matter of what's likely reasonable - and which team is going to not ask for the moon.   Given McCoy's very "shady" future for 2019+ with DV allegations in the wind, I can't believe BUF will ask for more than a 4th-5th - which might be way more tempting than the 2nd PIT is allegedly holding out for (plus a "good young player - good luck with that, PIT).

Man, I'd love to be in the Eagles FO right now.  No doubt calls are coming in, and talks are ongoing.

13 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So will David Johnson be an Eagle this week or next week?

I don't care what compensation is needed to make this happen ,give it!! DJ in this Offense would be filthy and to be perfectly honest a better fit then Bell in every aspect. From the Field to the Locker room.

Everybody is fixated on Bell but keep ignoring the fact he can't sign a long term contract with ANY team until seasons end. So why would he play "in good faith" for the Eagles if he doesn't even want to do it for Pittsburgh? He'll do the same thing to whatever team he's suiting up for in 2018. As little as possible to stay healthy.

26 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I don't care what compensation is needed to make this happen ,give it!! DJ in this Offense would be filthy and to be perfectly honest a better fit then Bell in every aspect. From the Field to the Locker room.

Everybody is fixated on Bell but keep ignoring the fact he can't sign a long term contract with ANY team until seasons end. So why would he play "in good faith" for the Eagles if he doesn't even want to do it for Pittsburgh? He'll do the same thing to whatever team he's suiting up for in 2018. As little as possible to stay healthy.

Have to imagine shady is much more logical than dj

On 10/8/2018 at 11:01 PM, Yin-Yang said:

The Steelers can do the same thing - not trade him, let him walk, collect a 3rd round comp pick the following season. Pittsburgh, I imagine, wants to make a postseason run themselves. From their perspective it’d make complete sense to let Bell come back when he says he will and then run him into the ground.

The Eagles would have to offer more than a 3rd for a one year rental, potentially having to outbid other teams. Doesn’t make sense to me, especially if you know you’re going to be cap strapped and need to re-stock on young talent.

Nothing makes sense when you look at what it costs to make another run at a Superbowl. 

A perfect example is the Cubs in baseball. They traded a lot of top flight prospects to get Chapman. He was a one year rental. They won the world series with the guy and then he left. It was 100% worth it. 

If the eagles offer a 2019 second, then the Steelers would have to pull the trigger. The comp pick would come in 2020... 

Anyways, here is a very well thought out article that is worth a quick read 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/09/will-eagles-make-a-creative-offer-to-leveon-bell/ 

An incentive laden one year contract, where leveon could make more than the tag, but where that extra cash would count against the eagles 2019 cap is absolute genius

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Have to imagine shady is much more logical than dj

No doubt. Makes no sense for Arizona to trade him unless they are planning on taking one of the College Stud RB's (Rookie contract along side Rosen) coming out with the picks they would have.

You don't trade 27 yr old Top 3 RB's. You build around them. Hence why I'd trade the farm for him to be Wentz's security blanket the next 3-5 years!

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Nothing makes sense when you look at what it costs to make another run at a Superbowl. 

A perfect example is the Cubs in baseball. They traded a lot of top flight prospects to get Chapman. He was a one year rental. They won the world series with the guy and then he left. It was 100% worth it. 

If the eagles offer a 2019 second, then the Steelers would have to pull the trigger. The comp pick would come in 2020... 

Anyways, here is a very well thought out article that is worth a quick read 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/09/will-eagles-make-a-creative-offer-to-leveon-bell/ 

An incentive laden one year contract, where leveon could make more than the tag, but where that extra cash would count against the eagles 2019 cap is absolute genius

An example of a bad strategy working out isn’t justification that the strategy is viable. I could easily point misfires with teams in similar scenarios.

And no, I’m not confident a 2nd is enough for Bell. Again, you’re not only just bidding against the comp pick and other teams, but your whole “teams will do weird things to win a SB” mantra also applies to the Steelers. Assuming they think they’re championship caliber, they will want to use Bell in the second half and postseason. To get them to part with that value (which you think is high), the Eagles would have to give up more. Sure, teams will do things a little differently if they think it’ll bring a championship, but that doesn’t make it smart nor does it justify a bad trade. Smart teams don’t sell out their future and I believe Roseman to be smart.

Also, AFAIK, the Eagles can’t increase his pay for this season. The deadline passed.

29 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

And no, I’m not confident a 2nd is enough for Bell. Again, you’re not only just bidding against the comp pick and other teams, but your whole “teams will do weird things to win a SB” mantra also applies to the Steelers.

I am.  And if you offer more than what the comp pick is worth, they can easily get him.  For a simple underrated reason:

If we let Bell walk, and we roll over cap, that means we can barely touch the next $40mil in cap space that we could have.  If we dip into it too much we kill any chance at a comp pick for Bell.  But if they offer a 2nd, we take it.  Not only do we have an extra pick to play with in the draft sooner, it's a round earlier, and we could utilize up to $40mil in cap space in 2019.  That's a whole lot of serious ammo to load up contracts for '1 last ride' for Ben.

I personally never thought the Eagles would be interested in Bell for numerous reasons, Pick compensation, personality,  contract extension next year, ect....ect..

However it was brought to my attention via Radio that the Eagles at worst "could" potentially treat this like a MLB rental for a potential SB run "IF" indeed he doesn't resign in Philly and or the Price tag is as absurd as expected.

They give up their 2nd in 2019 only to recoup that 3rd in a 2020 Comp pick like the Steelers plan to do. While gaining "hopefully" assuming he even plays Bell for a potential SB repeat! My concern and I'm sure Howie's is , Would he even give his all or 1/2 a$$ it "not trying to get hurt" or better yet "fake and injury" to collect a check so not to play at all to risk injury?

There's no doubt he can instantly help any club if the real Le'Veon shows up but I personally don't want the media circus/drama to follow that type of trade if it was to occur. 

Archived