carrolljcmc

Eagles Lose Ajayi for the Season

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

An example of a bad strategy working out isn’t justification that the strategy is viable. I could easily point misfires with teams in similar scenarios.

And no, I’m not confident a 2nd is enough for Bell. Again, you’re not only just bidding against the comp pick and other teams, but your whole “teams will do weird things to win a SB” mantra also applies to the Steelers. Assuming they think they’re championship caliber, they will want to use Bell in the second half and postseason. To get them to part with that value (which you think is high), the Eagles would have to give up more. Sure, teams will do things a little differently if they think it’ll bring a championship, but that doesn’t make it smart nor does it justify a bad trade. Smart teams don’t sell out their future and I believe Roseman to be smart.

Also, AFAIK, the Eagles can’t increase his pay for this season. The deadline passed.

Obviously if the Steelers decide they aren't going to trade him then this deal doesn't get done. No arguement there. If they don't take a second rounder, then he probably won't get traded. No team will offer a first. 

But trading a 2019 second for a 2020 third and half a season of leveon would not be a bad trade by any means for the eagles. That actually seems pretty smart to me. Is moving down a round and change really going to set the eagles back? 

They absolutely can add new money to the deal. The tag rules prevent a LTD from getting done after the deadline, but from my understanding they would be allowed to sign any 1 year contract they could come up with. The incentives angle is brilliant because it would pay leveon more money (meaning he's happier and more willing to play more snaps) while counting against next year's cap. 

@warfelg brings up two great points. The cap space allotted to leveon this season would roll over, and they would actually be able to use it to sign free agents. As it stands now they would have to be really careful of signing anyone. Not sure what other free agents they are set to lose, but that does play a factor. 

Anyways, good talking to you, but at this point we are just going in circles and will need to agree to disagree. What will be, will be. 

7 hours ago, warfelg said:

I am.  And if you offer more than what the comp pick is worth, they can easily get him.  For a simple underrated reason:

If we let Bell walk, and we roll over cap, that means we can barely touch the next $40mil in cap space that we could have.  If we dip into it too much we kill any chance at a comp pick for Bell.  But if they offer a 2nd, we take it.  Not only do we have an extra pick to play with in the draft sooner, it's a round earlier, and we could utilize up to $40mil in cap space in 2019.  That's a whole lot of serious ammo to load up contracts for '1 last ride' for Ben.

I don’t expect Pittsburgh to be active in FA, whether or not they are contemplating comp picks or not. They never are. 

If you expect 2019 to be the “1 last ride” year as you say, then they’ll use the $40M anyway. They’re not going to withhold using that money for a potential 3rd round pick a year after the “1 last ride”, that doesn’t make sense. 

So the only difference will be the extra 2nd rounder, which isn’t really “serious ammo” IMO. It’s nice, but a late 2nd isn’t game breaking - especially if you expect 2019 to be the swan song year. 

Shady is going to Philly smh. Nothing definitive but hearing Sal Capaccio talk is making it seem like there’s a toooonnnn of smoke going on about it. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. Can we have a wide receiver!??

5 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Shady is going to Philly smh. Nothing definitive but hearing Sal Capaccio talk is making it seem like there’s a toooonnnn of smoke going on about it. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. Can we have a wide receiver!??

Do you really want Jordan Matthews back that badly?

43 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Rumor is Buffalo wants a 2nd and 3rd for Shady.

That's the rumor I saw too, and I feel like that is insane. 

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's the rumor I saw too, and I feel like that is insane. 

Ignoring the fact that you always ask for more than you expect to get, I think it makes sense. There is no reason for Buffalo to trade him. He's the most talented guy on an incredibly untalented offense that needs all the help it can get so Josh Allen actually survives to another season. I can't name a single other skill position player besides Shady in Buffalo.

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Ignoring the fact that you always ask for more than you expect to get, I think it makes sense. There is no reason for Buffalo to trade him. He's the most talented guy on an incredibly untalented offense that needs all the help it can get so Josh Allen actually survives to another season. I can't name a single other skill position player besides Shady in Buffalo.

I suppose that depends on what their perception is of the team. The team may feel it's competitive right now and not in a "rebuild" or "reload" and they may feel that the optics of trading him are poor because it may seem like they are surrendering the season at 2-3.  Fans may say that they aren't anywhere close to really being playoff competitive, and as such, a 30 year old running back with one more year on his contract is unlikely to be around for the next playoff run, so why not acquire assets that may be. Winning 2 games for them so far is probably the worst thing that could have happened to them. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The team may feel it's competitive right now

e8a.gif

On 10/9/2018 at 1:01 AM, Yin-Yang said:

The Steelers can do the same thing - not trade him, let him walk, collect a 3rd round comp pick the following season. Pittsburgh, I imagine, wants to make a postseason run themselves. From their perspective it’d make complete sense to let Bell come back when he says he will and then run him into the ground.

The Eagles would have to offer more than a 3rd for a one year rental, potentially having to outbid other teams. Doesn’t make sense to me, especially if you know you’re going to be cap strapped and need to re-stock on young talent.

I feel like a 4th should be enough