Way too early 2019 offseason thread

RpMc

We’ve got a thread dedicated to which players we could start to look at in the draft, but to handle the week to week down time let’s turn our gaze inward. Which players on the roster that are free agents, or a year away, need new deals, or won’t be back. 

I will start the discussion with this list:

FREE AGENTS

SHELDON RICHARDSON - UFA

LATAVIUS MURRAY - UFA

ANTHONY BARR - UFA

NICK EASTON - UFA

DAN BAILEY - UFA

MARCUS SHERELS - UFA

TOM JOHNSON - UFA

TOM COMPTON - UFA

GEORGE ILOKA - UFA

ALDRICK ROBINSON - UFA

ANTHONY HARRIS - RFA

BIG SALARY / LOW DEAD MONEY

TRAE WAYNES - 9,069,000 (0)

KYLE RUDOLPH - 7,625,000 (0)

MIKE REMMERS - 6,350,000 (1,800,000)

ANDREW SENDEJO - 5,500,000 (0)

—————

Which free agents do you prioritize? Which high money guys should be on the outs and who replaces them (current player? Pick? Free agent?) Assuming another roughly $10,000,000 salary cap increase, with around $1,000,000 in cap rollover, we have less than $5,000,000 in cap space for next year. And some relatively big named free agents, plus a player in Adam Thielen who’s severely outplayed his deal.

52 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Keep Iloka. Dump Sendejo and Remmers. 

How much do we expect the cap to go up?

It’s gone up 10-12M the last two years, I included that at the bottom of the OP. However, we won’t have near as much cap rollover as we had this year. 

Remmers, Sendejo and Rudolph are easy cuts for me. 

Sendejo is becoming a liability with the new rules and all his stupid personal fouls, Remmers is just not good, and Rudolph isn't worth that much money. He is productive, but I think we could get similar production for much cheaper.

Assuming you can get Trae Waynes for $8-9M per year, I'd lock him up. Richardson is also a must-sign too. 

I’m still high on keeping Barr and Richardson. 

Letting Sendejo go probably also letting Harris go you are now about dedicated to find a replacement via free agency. 

Remmers the only way I would keep is at a FAR lower salary. Take the ding on the dead cap and spend the remaining salary towards a new contract.

i wouldn’t be surprised to see Easton get a small prove it type deal. He’s not great but right now he is an improvement for the line.

I'd start the offseason by cutting Remmers and Sendejo.

I'd look to bring back Iloka as competition with Kearse at SS.

I'd also see if Easton wants to return on a cheap deal, assuming he's healthy. At worst, he's a better option than Jones at backup G/C, but I always felt that he was an underrated starting LG for us and he'd certainly be in the mix.

In free agency, I'd like to sign a WR #3, middle of the road type player ($3-4m per year). But I expect very little activity in the FA market.

I think the Vikes need to prioritize signing Sheldon Richardson and Adam Thielen to long term contracts. 

Anthony Barr is the odd man out. I'd also look to trade Trae Waynes for a 2nd round pick. I don't think Waynes is good enough on this team to warrant the salary that he's going to command, he might be more valuable to someone else. I really like Hughes as a starter on the outside, I don't see him as much of a slot CB.

NFL Draft:

1. OG (replaces Remmers at RG)

2. LB (replaces Barr)

2. DE (from Waynes trade, need a good developmental option and more pass rush)

3. CB (nickel CB competition) 

3. OG (via comp, let's double dip and get competition at LG)

Later round depth needs: WR, TE, DT, LB, S

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Priority 1: New OL coach

Priority 2: New ST Coordinator 

I don't think changing the OL coach would change anything.  If Tony Sparano were still alive and this was happening, maybe I'd agree, but the guy in place now was the OL coach for the SB winning Broncos and has done a pretty good job thus far considering the position he was put in. 

I'm also not sure about replacing Priefer yet...as I've indicated previously, I can't blame him for the failures at K and P.  You can't really coach up a K or a P...they are what they are.  The coverages are another issue.  With the different rules put in place, there's always an adjustment period.  If they don't improve over the season, then I'd seriously consider replacing Priefer, but I'm not there yet.  

I do think we're going to have to replace the QB coach though.  Because DeFilippo will probably be here at least another year and Stefanski is going to get an OC job somewhere.  

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think changing the OL coach would change anything.  If Tony Sparano were still alive and this was happening, maybe I'd agree, but the guy in place now was the OL coach for the SB winning Broncos and has done a pretty good job thus far considering the position he was put in. 

If Sparano were alive, I think this line would look a lot better. Especially in the run game. One aspect of an OL coach that often gets over looked is that most OL coaches are responsible for are the run blocking schemes, and game planning the run blocking for each opponent. 

Barone May have been the OL coach for a SB winner, but the Broncos offense wasn’t exactly stellar that year. Or the next. 

Sadly, we have to at least be considering the possibility of life without Everson Griffen. While absorbing $1.2M in dead money it would save us $10.7M dollars against the cap.

Even if Griffen were completely healthy it is a move that would need to be considered. When teams have more guys than they can afford and they are forced to let a player go they are often best off letting the older guy go while keeping the younger guys that will be around longer.

Archived