Does Your OL Suck? Your Coaching? How About a Certain DB?

RandyMossIsBoss

Our OL is having a good year, for sure. Not fully consistent (run blocking struggled early in the year, pass pro struggled against Denver) but it's done well enough throughout the whole year. The margin for error is definitely greater with Mahomes as opposed to Smith, who was VERY fond of taking sacks safely, but I'm definitely pleased with the group. Top 5, top 10 this year, based on what I've seen around the league. And Cameron Erving has actually been really good. Could be rough with LDT getting hurt last week though.

Coaching is excellent from Reid and the entire offensive side. Defensive side has been more hit or miss. Sutton did a much better job against Jacksonville, and if that's a sign of what's to come I'll be much more pleased. He committed far more to pass rushing than to pass coverage, which is what we need with the roster that we have right now. At least until we get Berry back, for sure. But there's still a few issues there. We've been a turnover heavy team for years, so it's obvious in our tackling that guys go for the strip or the big hit more than the wrap up, and that worked fine when we had guys who forced a ton of turnovers like DJ, Peters, and Berry, but we don't have that play making ability anymore.

DBs there are a few issues. Scandrick is kind of the scapegoat in the KC forum, it seems, though he really hasn't played badly for us, IMO. Had one miserable game to start the year against the Chargers, but has been solid since then. Jacksonville clearly thought they could attack Steven Nelson this past week, but he was really right with his guy most of the time. Our bigger issues in coverage have really been inside. DJ and Berry were just monsters in coverage. We were one of the best teams in the league for years against RBs and TEs in the receiving game, and were very solid against slots, and that's just gone. Ragland is a good thumper but can't hang with guys in coverage which forces Terrance Smith onto the field, who is athletic and has good instincts and coverage but can't tackle bigger guys without getting dragged an extra 2 - 3 yards. Hitchens has been better, but his communication with others on handing off inside routes between defensive zones shows that he's new to the team. Parker remains solid in instincts and ball skills but his speed has declined which hurts our deep coverage. The other safety spot has been a rotating door. Frankly, I think getting Berry back solves a lot of the team's coverage woes, as communication and on field leadership will improve, and he brings a level of athleticism no one else has inside, but for now, it's not as much one leak in the secondary as a section of the field that's leaky.

21 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Checking in around the league on the top 3 scapegoats: OL, coaching and a single DB. 

Team: 

Are you satisfied with your OL?

Are you satisfied with your coaching?

Is there a major leak in your secondary, and if so, who?

1. Yes, our OL is great. And our OL Coach is amazing.

2. No. Satisfied is an understatement. We have arguably the best coaching staff in football.

3. They take turns being the leak. This past week, it was Marcus Peters.

20 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Bears

I am pretty happy with the OL. Leno, Long and Whitehair have all been great. Massie is by far playing the best he has in his career (not elite but actually pretty solid) and Kush has outplayed expectations. I would like to see James Daniels in at LG, he finally got some reps last week and showed he can anchor and quickly get to the 2nd level. Whitehair has had some high snaps but otherwise been really good for us, but he has been beat while trying to get a quick chip in to help Kush.

Great OL Coaches are miracle workers. Harry Hiestand is a great OL Coach.

21 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Checking in around the league on the top 3 scapegoats: OL, coaching and a single DB. 

Team: 

Yes theyve done well. Shocked Cam Erving is doing so good. Unfortunately the RG(LDT) fractured his fibula but the backup seemed solid enough. Hopefully.

Yes on the offense. No on the defense. Bob Sutton has too much of a tendency to stick to scheme and leaving his players out to dry. They dont execute either though at times.

Reid runs a creative unit but can get in his own way sometimes

Are two starting safeties(and now a rookie backup) are out and weve been running up big scores. Qbs have been throwing at will during garbage time. Corners havent been too bad though.

But our big issue is our guys dont understand zone comcepts very well and cant tackle.

22 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Team: 

Team: Chargers

It's played well for the most part, Pouncey is playing at a pro bowl level. If ever could get Forrest Lamp(2017 2nd round pick) on the field this OL might be one of the better groups.

Yes, Anthony Lynn isn't the best coach but he is looking better than mess we had before. He can lead us to a Super Bowl.

No leaks but the secondary is badly missing Bosa's pass rush on this team. 

23 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Team: 

1)  Garrett Bolles

2) Vance Joseph

3) Bradley Roby

No, No, and No.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Great OL Coaches are miracle workers. Harry Hiestand is a great OL Coach.

Absolutely. Prior to McVay's arrival the OL was poor overall, and they infused some serious talent there and around Goff (including coaching). After taking away those liabilities and coaching him up, his talent was able to really be shown.

The Bears have tried to copy that pattern and it has worked out well for us as well, though we clearly are still building up on offense. I'm seriously excited to see what Hiestand does with Jordan Morgan and Rashaad Coward. Both have serious physical gifts to work with. I think Coward is the dark horse to take over for Massie next season. Morgan is the guy who likely replaces Kush and then is the heir to Long's spot as he is getting older and has a laundry list of injuries he has fought through.

On another note though... I'm not sure why Allen Robinson suddenly looks like he is singing some adult contemporary hits according to Google. 

Robinson.jpg

Steelers

This year, thus far...no.     They looked good vs the Falcons depleted defense, but that doesnt inspire me much.    Pouncey has been pretty awful most of the year, DeCastro was injured and just coming back around....the rest has just been meh.

Overall, FOR NOW, I still think this OLine is suffice for the offense....but it sometimes lacks consistency, especially in the running game.

Maurkice Pouncey is arguably the most overrated lineman in the league....although he isnt awful, just kinda average.

No.

Defense has no identity.   It lacks talent, but its hard to take a defense in a set direction without an identity.

Offense is just laughably inconsistent.   Some of it falls on the players not performing, sometimes the playcalling is just abysmal.

Tomlin doesnt learn from past mistakes....seemingly ever.   

giphy.gif

On 10/8/2018 at 9:45 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Team: 

The Lions have the best offensive line they've had in a very long time. TJ Lang has been injured again, but his replacement hasn't been bad. I would bet that a decent amount of fans didn't even realize that Kenny Wiggins was starting at RG for the Lions last week.

Yes and no. Jim Bob Cooter gets better as the season goes on because he works in a ton of stuff early on that he can exploit later as teams think they have a read on their tendencies (and then they break tendency to pick up big gains here or there). My biggest issue has been the stubbornness in avoiding giving Kerryon Johnson more snaps. He's averaged more yards after contact than Blount has average per carry... yet Blount was still getting an equal amount of work. Johnson is also useful as a receiver and is adequate as a blocker. The Packers game was an improvement, Blount was mostly only used in short yardage work, where he is also adequate. Patricia has done well with the defense so far working with a bunch of pieces that were assembled for a different scheme. They're just now figuring out who exactly they like best to play certain roles and the defense is improving as a result. My biggest gripe on defense is a lack of blitzing the LBs.

The secondary is a strong point for the Lions. Slay is elite. Glover Quin is solid, although he's slowing down and may need to move down into the box pretty soon. Tavon Wilson is a solid run defending safety. Quandre Diggs is great as a hybrid CB/S and is a great game planning piece. Nevin Lawson has actually had good coverage so far this season, he just needs to play the ball better. Agnew just got injured but he was fine up until now. Teez Tabor is the only player playing below expectations, but he's also barely playing so there's not much to complain about... yet.

5 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Well, between you, you have half of the Bengals starting secondary from....2012

Don’t remind me ?. The slowest secondary ever with zero pass rush and nobodies at LB. when I watch my teams defense it is Art Shell 2.0 reboot quality. My season is gone. So I watch the players I like on other teams after watching my team lose

19 hours ago, animaltested said:

OL : Actually... yeah.

For all the flack Seattle took, their Offensive line has been solid to good since week 2. They have run for about 450 yards in the last three weeks, and have kept Russell clean for the most part. Even Ifedi, which is insane to think about. 

Coaching : Meh.

- With Pete ya know what you are going to get.

- Shotty has been a big fat blah thus far. His gameplan has been causing Seattle fans to wax poetically about how Darell Bevell really knew how to play to Russells strengths. Russell has  been pretty mediocre this year and its kinda sad. 

- Ken Norton has been ok. Considering the talent lost this year, the defense has been solid. Losing Kendricks before KJ got back healthy really hampered them last week.

Secondary : Minor not Major

Tre Flowers is the weakest link, but considering he is a FS converted to corner, he gets some leeway. Been playing pretty serviceable overall. Thompson is a definitely a step down from Earl, but he has been pretty solid as well this year. The coaching staff loves him. The secondary got absolutely roasted by Goff last week though, though most secondary's do. 

I agree about the oline, looks solid when fluker got back, Russell is responsible for most sacks too. Nice improvement.

On defense we have been solid if you look at the injuries, Im pleased that we dont suck that bad without the LOB

If it wasnt for our OC we could have a winning record right now...

On 10/8/2018 at 10:01 PM, Falconof Shadows said:

Falcons

Oline on pacento given up most said ksnever during Ryan's career so they are quiet terrible.

Coaching. Quinn is terrible in game management. Won't blame him for injuries but he's very stubborn with using players who are proven to be bad and not try other players.

Defensive backs have all been terrible this year 

Outside of your loss to Pittsburgh you were sacked 10 times in 4 games. They are not terrible. Relax. And maybe. just maybe, those players are bad? And Quinn needs to play those other bad players cause the alternative is worse. 

But the Right side of the Giants' O-Line is deplorable. But they've played well in last week's game against the Panthers. 

Coaching hasn't been terrible, the play calling is getting guys open Eli just isn't throwing to them. They are getting Barkley his touches, and finally looked to involve OBJ a lot last week. We were mediocre on offense against good defensive teams to start the year, but with a half-okay half-gonnagetyourQB/RBkilled O-Line that is to be expected. I just hope we don't take Herbert and look to add more help on both sides of the line and EDGE. Our pass rush is awful and is the true worry for me. 

Archived