Drew Brees - new all time passing yardage leader

Mid Iowa

5 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

when stat padding in a dome your entire career leads to one title, when you've had multiple SB calibre teams, that is why.

Your comment is absolutely absurd. Football is a team game. Drew Brees has elevated his game in the playoffs compared to the regular season throughout his career. He has over an 100 QB Rating in the playoffs in his career, so that's pretty neat..

1. brady
2. montana
3. manning
4. favre/young/marino
5. favre/young/marino
6. favre/young/marino
7. brees/rodgers/elway
8. brees/rodgers/elway
9. brees/rodgers/elway

top 7 at best, top 9 at worst. this is just superbowl era.. you have guys like Otto, Unitas, Baugh that would be somewhere in that 4-10 range as well.

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

*yawn*

Doesn't mean much really. Bulk yardage just doesn't impress me anymore, especially in a dome.

However, record aside, Drew Brees is certainly an amazing quarterbacks, and definitely a Hall of Famer (I'm stingy about who I think should be in the HoF, and I came around on Brees much later than most I bet).

He's not a real candidate in the "GOAT?" discussion, but a truly great quarterback.

Number of 5,000 yards passing in a season: Drew Brees: 5 Everybody else: Tied at 1

Interpret that however you want.

1 minute ago, Breesus mode said:

Number of 5,000 yards passing in a season: Drew Brees: 5 Everybody else: Tied at 1

passing yards is probably the least impressive stat a QB could pride themselves on. 

1 minute ago, Asciimo said:

1. brady
2. montana
3. manning
4. favre/young/marino
5. favre/young/marino
6. favre/young/marino
7. brees/rodgers/elway
8. brees/rodgers/elway
9. brees/rodgers/elway

top 7 at best, top 9 at worst. this is just superbowl era.. you have guys like Otto, Unitas, Baugh that would be somewhere in that 4-10 range as well.

Yeah. We get it. Brady is good. Now will you Patriots fans please move on? Jesus. Do you guys really need to bring up Brady in every single thread about a QB?

5 minutes ago, DannyB said:

*yawn*

Doesn't mean much really. Bulk yardage just doesn't impress me anymore, especially in a dome.

However, record aside, Drew Brees is certainly an amazing quarterbacks, and definitely a Hall of Famer (I'm stingy about who I think should be in the HoF, and I came around on Brees much later than most I bet).

He's not a real candidate in the "GOAT?" discussion, but a truly great quarterback.

*yawn*

Downplaying a record that has been held by all time greats at QB for decades just doesn't impress me. 

Just now, Raves said:

Yeah, that's right, let's use W/L without taking into account defenses, which Brees had for 3 years running the worst defense in NFL history at the time, not to mention a worse receiving core than the "GOAT".  Brady has been nothing but a god at QB, but Brees is right there with him.

So you want to pretend that real football is just fantasy football and you have to imagine that your guy would be less pathetic if only other players could elevate his game.

• I guess Archie Manning is the GoaT, or maybe Tebow if only he had the '85 Bears and the 2000 Ravens on D.
  • I guess 2013 Nick Foles was better than Brees, but Riley Cooper dropped a pass. (Foles was better in that game)
  • I guess 2011 Alex Smith was better than Brees (Smith was in that playoff game)

Brady would have still won at least 5 Super Bowls he played in if he switched teams before the game. (and you all know its true)

Brady's D was 29th in yards last year and Brees' was 17th. Who played in the Super Bowl again?

Brady and Manning faced the same team in the 2013 and 2014 Super Bowls. How did that work out?

I love discussions on how Aaron Rodgers choking like a dog in 2 of 3 NFCCGs is just because Brady had better defenses. (its just Brees today because of his record)

This game is a great example of why Brees is no Tom Brady.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200611190nor.htm

• 510 yards passing, wow!
  • 71% completions, awesome
  • 2 TDs, alright!
  • oh yeah, he threw a pick-6 and 2 more picks into the Bengals end zone
  • 31-17 Bengals, in New Orleans
  • If only he had the Patriots defense that day!

Brady wins Super Bowls with a team like the 2006 Saints.

He wins Super Bowls with a team like the 2017 Saints, the 2011 Saints, and so on.

Brees has games like this against Tampa in 2011, so his team misses out on home field.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201110160tam.htm

Brady wins those games and gets the crowd behind him.

The GoaT goes 14-2 when that's what it takes.  Other guys stumble once and then fail on the road.

Don't worry, your guy is pretty too! He's just not even close to Tom Brady.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yeah. We get it. Brady is good. Now will you Patriots fans please move on? Jesus. Do you guys really need to bring up Brady in every single thread about a QB?

i actually brought up about 12 QBs just now. do you want me to count them? this isn't about 11 of those QBs, this is me slotting brees in there.

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

There is no hope for this guy. He is blind and probably a bandwagon fan

1 minute ago, Breesus mode said:

He's a really really great quarterback playing in a pass-happy, defense-sad era in a pitch perfect home field that is conducive to high yardage games, has had a lot of seasons with crappy defenses where he has to win shootouts, and has quite frankly had a coach that isn't afraid to run up scores and pad stats at times.

That's how I'd interpret it.

Look, I'm not trying to pile on Brees. This is a hell of an accomplishment from a phenomenal quarterback. But I feel like some context for his gratuitous yardage total is warranted.

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Its like bringing up Gretzky every time someone asks who is the best hockey player. (I'm sure those Oilers just had the best defense)

Its like bringing up Babe Ruth when someone wants to know who the best baseball player is. (The Yankees just had the best hot dogs)

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

Most Patriots fans are. But hey, I didn't wanna be the one to say. B|

Even my cousin did that. I was born in a Raiders household and will never change. She bounced from packers to broncos to New England lol. He is definitely a bandwagon 

9 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

*yawn*

Downplaying a record that has been held by all time greats at QB for decades just doesn't impress me. 

It should be downplayed. Context matters.

Are you more impressed with Peyton's record breaking TD year in '13? Or with Marino's '84 or Peyton's '04?

Archived