The Overrated, Irrelevant Measurement

LETSGOBROWNIES

I know what you’re thinking, it’s not that...

What I’m referring to is height.  Looking at Dorsey’s picks last April one theme I noticed is what seems like a disregard for height.

Baker, Ward, Corbett (at T), Calloway and Avery are, at best, tall enough.  None would be considered prototypical as far as size, but can all play the game.

Do we as fans put more stock in potentially irrelevant numbers than need be?  In this case, height?  Obviously there’s a minimum standard, but once you hit that, how much does height actually matter in football?

Height would be a tie breaker for me, nothing else. Odds are there will rarely be a tie between prospects so it wouldn't get used much by me I just take the better prospect. If Darnold was a little less careless with the ball in college he and Baker may have come down to a tie breaker for me.

Obviously you have to coach these players to play to their strengths but you should do that with every player anyway.

I do worry about the wingspan of a tackle more than the height of a QB. I don't worry about the height of a CB at all.

So yeah I think most worry too much about that stuff. If Baker was 3 inches taller and had the same attributes it would be better but I'd take him over any QB with lesser attributes no matter their height.

Drew Brees multiple record holder and short. Height may help but talent helps more.

In the red zone tall receivers help. The thing about Brees is I read the Saints always wanted good guard and a good center. Keep opposing def. linemen out of his face.

Baker looks to have talent.

8 minutes ago, cattleman78 said:

Drew Brees multiple record holder and short. Height may help but talent helps more.

In the red zone tall receivers help. The thing about Brees is I read the Saints always wanted good guard and a good center. Keep opposing def. linemen out of his face.

Baker looks to have talent.

Welcome back, post more!

i dont know if height is irrelevant.  its prob not as relevant as we think though, but correlates to measurements that are impossible to take that will provide insight as to the players capabilities
i.e. height of a wr should prob correlate to catch radius, but if the WR only body catches it doesnt really matter
height of a qb should correlate to being able to see over your line but realistically we've seen brandon weeden and derek anderson lead the league in tipped passes due to shortarming/inability to find the throwing lanes
imperfect stat, but it prob has *some* merit

Archived