Jaguars upgrade at Running Back, sign former All-Pro Jamaal Charles

RuskieTitan

2 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

While Leonard Fournette's durability is probably a concern going forward, in no way is signing a 30 year old Jamaal Charles an indication that the team is ready to cut bait with the 4th overall pick from last season that still rushed for over 1000 yards despite missing 3 games

There is no way in bloody hell the Jags would cut Fournette during his rookie contract.

The most likely thing that would happen is that the Jags simply wouldnt exercise his 5th year option, if he keeps getting injured.   Thats his most likely way out of Jacksonville short of retirement.  

10 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Whatever happened to that guy?

He's a lake somewhere, probably.  Who knows.

9 hours ago, pwny said:

But in all seriousness, he played pretty well for us for ~half a season in 2014 after being put into a starting role. Got injured towards the end of the year himself. We expected that he would be the RB2 in a running back by committee thing with T.J. Yeldon, but he never really got that many snaps. Just sorta slid down the depth chart and out of the league.

After week one when Mariota got hurt, I was reading an article that said the ulnar nerve injury that Denard suffered in college never went away and that he ultimately had to retire because of it. He did have a bit of a fumbling issue while with us, so that makes some sense and is maybe why the team never gave him a larger role.

But also this.  He was a sort of unpolished gadget RB who had absolutely garbage hands, fumble problems, and while he had a couple years of some serviceable depth play and a few big games stepping in for other injured players...he just never really developed into a quality RB with versatility.  Just hard out there for a change of pace RB who can't catch to save his life, and whose vision really only worked once he got outside the box and could fall back on his experience as a uh..."quarterback".

Also, can we please ditch this "upgrade" part of the title.  Kinda looks like trolling tbh.  We're not upgrading at RB...we're signing a hopefully decent RB to tag-team with Yeldon because literally all of our other RBs are either injured, or cut because they don't belong in the NFL.  In a run-heavy offensive scheme.  Who knows when Fournette will be ready to go, or how reliable he'll be.  Grant is IR'd with a lisfranc injury that will probably kill his career dead in it's tracks.  And Yeldon can't carry the load by himself as literally the only RB...especially when he's a bit banged up too.

On 10/10/2018 at 12:36 AM, Tugboat said:

Also, can we please ditch this "upgrade" part of the title.  Kinda looks like trolling tbh.  We're not upgrading at RB...we're signing a hopefully decent RB to tag-team with Yeldon because literally all of our other RBs are either injured, or cut because they don't belong in the NFL.  In a run-heavy offensive scheme.  Who knows when Fournette will be ready to go, or how reliable he'll be.  Grant is IR'd with a lisfranc injury that will probably kill his career dead in it's tracks.  And Yeldon can't carry the load by himself as literally the only RB...especially when he's a bit banged up too.

Sure sounds like you are upgrading from an injured player to a healthy former all-pro to me.

On 10/10/2018 at 12:50 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

There is no way in bloody hell the Jags would cut Fournette during his rookie contract.

The most likely thing that would happen is that the Jags simply wouldnt exercise his 5th year option, if he keeps getting injured.   Thats his most likely way out of Jacksonville short of retirement.  

i think him and our former RB Fred Taylor who also battled a ton of injuries early in his career need to get together and fred to share his knowledge of how to deal with his injuries.  i know at in freds early years he missed 23 out of 48 games between 1999 and 2001. 

i do think we dont need to exercise his 5th year option cuz well hes a RB and hes always seemingly got an injury going on. 

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Sure sounds like you are upgrading from an injured player to a healthy former all-pro to me.

nope. quite the opposite.  charles is likely gonna be our 3rd rb when everyone is healthy behind Fournette and yeldon.  we didnt have a vet presence outside of yeldon at rb and i honestly wouldnt call yeldon a true vet.  

the jags are concerned with fournettes hamstring and they are gonna take the time to make sure hes fully healthy before putting him back out there as they dont wanna re-agreviate that injury. 

Archived