Week 6 GDT: Green Bay Packers vs. San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Correct, but once Mabin was covering Adams in the slot and the next time down Sherman told him to cover the outside WR and he will take Adams. I want to see the formation the Packers ran on the last big play on the left sideline to see how Mabin ended up there. I'm guessing they once again put Adams in the slot as they knew Sherman would follow leading Mabin on the outside one on one. Then of course after that they put Adams on the outside on the other side and he abuses Mabin again lol. 

Corner is not a easy job. Once teams realize you are having a rough go, they will keep going after you. 

Either way, it is time to put Spoon back in next game. He is the corner that has a chance to have a legitimate future on the team. Let him go through growing pains and improve that way. 

Absolutely the bolded part. It absolutely kills me that they have not allowed Witherspoon to go through the growing pains on the field. They keep bringing up confidence. Get him his confidence on the field. No excuse for that kid to not be on the field covering Adams opposite of Sherman. He is the next best cover corner they have and a better potential playmaker.

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So what about Solomon thomas??? 26 snaps last night? I like day but shouldn't Thomas be on the inside with buck on passing downs???

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust 

I mean, seriously, if he's not as good at than Day, then no,.

DT Sheldon Day: Consider this paradox: Day is the team’s highest-rated pass rusher among the team’s defensive linemen, according to Pro Football Focus (one sack, seven pressures). But he ranks seventh in that group with 95 snaps this season.

Trade Thomas for Gareon Conley straight up. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Solomon is still only 23 but with the way he's been used, makes me wonder should we have taken hooker or Jamal Adams....

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Day played well but it is laughable at how few interior rushes Thomas gets. If you want to go by per rush efficiency, Thomas was pretty damn good from the inside last year when used late in the year. Thomas shouldn't just be playing base defense and coming out when the team goes to the nickel. Use Buckner on the edge more to fit all three in. I mean what exactly is Marsh doing?

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Day played well but it is laughable at how few interior rushes Thomas gets. If you want to go by per rush efficiency, Thomas was pretty damn good from the inside last year when used late in the year. Thomas shouldn't just be playing base defense and coming out when the team goes to the nickel. Use Buckner on the edge more to fit all three in. I mean what exactly is Marsh doing?

This is part of my problem with Saleh...very clear that Thomas isn't going to be an edge rusher, no matter how many times you continue to throw him out there. 

I'm only half joking when I say trade him for Conley straight up. I'd give a trade like that some thought, if only because I want another corner and I think we would be dealing from a position of strength in unloading a 3-tech, and if we are going to play him in only a third of the defensive snaps, well, we aren't going to get any value from him anyway. I haven't been super impressed with Thomas for the most part, though obviously he's still growing, but I think it's a little past the point of concern now. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is part of my problem with Saleh...very clear that Thomas isn't going to be an edge rusher, no matter how many times you continue to throw him out there. 

I'm only half joking when I say trade him for Conley straight up. I'd give a trade like that some thought, if only because I want another corner and I think we would be dealing from a position of strength in unloading a 3-tech, and if we are going to play him in only a third of the defensive snaps, well, we aren't going to get any value from him anyway. I haven't been super impressed with Thomas for the most part, though obviously he's still growing, but I think it's a little past the point of concern now. 

Anyone not showing concern for Thomas is full blown homer glasses.

Does he have a talent issue? yes

Should Thomas be seeing more playing time time inside? Yes

Should Thomas be playing outside on passing downs? No!

Is Thomas being helped at all by his coaches? No, not at all. 

Really discouraging to draft a guy and not have a real plan for him. And again, between Tank, Armstead and Blair, no one thought we needed that position...Just baffling. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

Really discouraging to draft a guy and not have a real plan for him. And again, between Tank, Armstead and Blair, no one thought we needed that position...Just baffling. 

Yeah, and here's the thing - I don't mind if he is losing snaps to guys the coaching staff feels are better pass rushers (Blair, Day). If that's the case, so be it. I really hate it when the staff gives armstead pass rushing snaps over him. Armstead is pretty good at what he does, but what he does is not rush the passer, so he's useless in those situations. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Yeah, and here's the thing - I don't mind if he is losing snaps to guys the coaching staff feels are better pass rushers (Blair, Day). If that's the case, so be it. I really hate it when the staff gives armstead pass rushing snaps over him. Armstead is pretty good at what he does, but what he does is not rush the passer, so he's useless in those situations. 

I found it depressing when it really started looking like we were set on drafting Thomas. He was simply redundant. I don't mind drafting someone we love at a position we don't actually have a need for. As long as we have a plan. I had no issue with drafting McGlinchey, this year, because there was a plan. We knew for weeks that Trent Brown was most likely on the trading block (all the coach talk about him being a great player, to me, didn't indicate he was part of our future, it was mostly just an attempt to inflate his trade value). So drafting McG in the first while getting a second rounder for the guy he was replacing? Almost a no brainer. But drafting Thomas when we had Buck, Armstead, even Blair who's a bigger end... it made no sense unless we had a trade for Armstead in waiting. Or else, the staff was just delusional as to how his skillset would translate. And it still is. So now, Armstead has no value, and no pass rush skill. We completely depleted Thomas's value as well, by making him look incapable. 

Honestly, I think Thomas was a character pick. Let's pick the character guy, and figure out how to play him later.... yeah, right... never figured that part out.

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I was adamant about not drafting Thomas. We had already drafted 2 d-lineman in a row and had solid depth IMO

People in this forum disagreed with me

Every player taken after Thomas in the top 10 would have been a better pick 

12 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

I was adamant about not drafting Thomas. We had already drafted 2 d-lineman in a row and had solid depth IMO

People in this forum disagreed with me

Every player taken after Thomas in the top 10 would have been a better pick 

Well, except Fournette ;):P

Archived