Week 6 GDT: Green Bay Packers vs. San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

We need to go hard after two edge rushers (free agency and draft) and maybe two corners in free agency. 

What edge rushers? Bad year for edge rushers and corners. Unless you gamble on some unproven young guys like Fowler,  Ray, or Ford. None of those guys move the needle to be honest. I don't see the Texans letting Clowney walk so idk what we could do except focus on the draft and make it a focal point to take a couple of different guys and see who pans out. 

6 minutes ago, Geek said:

CJ played a good game up until those last few drives. Even if he's inconsistent now it's encouraging to see that he is able to play at a high level and that he truly wants to win. Maybe in a couple more years he'll have ironed out the rough edges and be a solid starter. I can't ask too much more for a backup QB. 

I thought he was fine too. Am concerned about how he's falling apart at the end of games though. Should be monitored.

If he's nothing more than a solid backup, that pick is a win

Just now, Forge said:

I thought he was fine too. Am concerned about how he's falling apart at the end of games though. Should be monitored.

If he's nothing more than a solid backup, that pick us a win

Agreed 100%. Total hindsight thing to bash the guy for the last 2 minutes of the game, when he was toasting and making plays earlier. It's unfortunate, but with a better defense and better roster, I think he can become a guy that keeps the ship afloat if Jimmy went down again. 

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

What edge rushers? Bad year for edge rushers and corners. Unless you gamble on some unproven young guys like Fowler,  Ray, or Ford. None of those guys move the needle to be honest. I don't see the Texans letting Clowney walk so idk what we could do except focus on the draft and make it a focal point to take a couple of different guys and see who pans out. 

Should have traded three firsts for Mack. Pass rushers are never available in free agency. And you really have to hit the jackpot to find someone like that in the draft. 

That's why you grab one in free agency and the draft. Free agency isn't solving edge, but it will help. Especially with one of these young edge rushers. The corners are meh. I direct you to my free agency thread. 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Great year for EDGE in the draft tho. We should be taking one with our top pick no matter where we are on the board. Then we could grab a guy like Fowler as a FA.

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I'm missing our old Fangio defense. Granted, that had way more talent. But can you imagine how monsterous this team would be if we could play Buck and Armstead at the 4/5 with some nice 3-4 backers coming off their work...mm...beautiful to think about.

That said, Buckner is just a monster. Really REALLY want to see us get this man some help this off-season. 

I mentioned it in the gen thread, but I'd still check in on donatel if we do fire Saleh. 

Clowney, Frank Clark and Lawrence. Lawrence will stay put, Clark is likely too. Clowney there's a decent shot he hits the market. Houston is up against it with Cap. Clowney asking for 20+ million, Honey Badger and Kareem Jackson. 

1 minute ago, Geek said:

Great year for EDGE in the draft tho. We should be taking one with our top pick no matter where we are on the board. Then we could grab a guy like Fowler as a FA.

Pretty much. I'll give Ziggy a one year prove it deal as well. There are guys who can supplement the pass rush, but we definitely shouldn't rely on it to solve it. 

Just now, John232 said:

Great call. He's doing amazing things with Chicago's secondary. 

If marinellis contract is up, or they clean house, I want to check in on him too. Great work with linemen, and he's done nicely with that cowboys defense honestly

2 minutes ago, Geek said:

Eff it. Clowney and Earl Thomas, then hit Bosa and Zuniga in rounds 1 and 3. 

Archived